Problem with power section. Reading 60v on multimeter.

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mmm

Re: Problem with power section. Reading 60v on multimeter.

Post by mmm »

Something must be terribly wrong with the voltage doubler. The test point is behind the bridge rectifier which means that theoretically there should be no AC anymore (except some ripple on top of the DC). I'm having trouble thinking of a scenario that results in such behaviour.
Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, what does the AC waveform look like?
I''ll be away for a couple of days but I'll use the time to analyze the voltage doubler portion in more detail and maybe get an idea what could be causing this.

dcandusso

Post by dcandusso »

I have some spare parts for this kit. Is there a part that you can think of that I may be able to swap out? Enjoy your break!

mmm

Post by mmm »

Food for thought:

http://mattholland.org/wp/electronics/b ... ly-part-1/

(Part2 is probably not relevant for us at the moment).

I suspect some problem with the diodes D40 to D43.
What I would probably do: remove IC20 and IC21, remove C2, C3, C4, C5 and then check how well the diodes actually rectify. If that works as outlined in the above linked article we could start adding components step by step.

Of course all this depends a bit on how comfortable you feel desoldering those components. If the PCB gets damaged we'd have another problem.
If you're located in Europe I could take care of the problem (outside Europe shipping and customs would probably make this uneconomical).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”