Component ESD and soldering temp precautions?

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cheesy

Component ESD and soldering temp precautions?

Post by cheesy »

Before I go any further in building my x0xb0x, I wanted to clarify some things.

1) How careful do we have to be about electrostatic discharge, especially with the rare components. Obviously I wouldn't walk across shag carpeting rubbing my feet while holding the transistors and ICs, but exactly how careful do we need to be?

2) What is an appropriate soldering iron temperature for soldering different components. I have heard that even though the melting point for 60/40 or 63/37 solder in somewhere around 400 fahrenheit it is better to use a higher temp like around 700 degrees so that you are in contact with it for a shorter period. Is this correct?

Thanks.

maxtim

Re: Component ESD and soldering temp precautions?

Post by maxtim »

cheesy wrote:Before I go any further in building my x0xb0x, I wanted to clarify some things.

1) How careful do we have to be about electrostatic discharge, especially with the rare components. Obviously I wouldn't walk across shag carpeting rubbing my feet while holding the transistors and ICs, but exactly how careful do we need to be?

2) What is an appropriate soldering iron temperature for soldering different components. I have heard that even though the melting point for 60/40 or 63/37 solder in somewhere around 400 fahrenheit it is better to use a higher temp like around 700 degrees so that you are in contact with it for a shorter period. Is this correct?

Thanks.
1) The damage would not occure if you were holding the component and rubbing your feet along a capet. The damage occures when you charge your body first and then touch the component.

Just ground yourself by touching any electrical ground in your house prior to work.

The only ESD sensitive components are the silicone devices, the transistors & ICs, the black devices with multiple leads. Try not to touch the leads when working with these devices.

Dry environments (low-humidity) are more prone to electro static build-up.

ESD safe workstation mat and wristraps are available if you want to be 100% safe.

2) Generally a 700deg F is a good tip temp.

cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Good thing it's raining here then.

I've put all the silicon components in one of those divided plastic boxes...I assume that's ok?

I know what transistors and ICs are, I'm a 3rd year computer science and electrical student 8) ...unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) our labs these days mostly consist of simulations and pre-built boards and stuff, so I've never really gotten any formal training in handling and soldering components.

Thanks for the tips.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”