tempo resets to FASTEST on power up

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hamburgers

tempo resets to FASTEST on power up

Post by hamburgers »

There are two problems with this latest build:

1. tempo resets to SUPER FAST on power up, regardless of its rate before I unplug the machine
2. the accent doesn't seem to work when I power on until I go back into pattern edit and press the accent key

Other than these two problems, everything is basically fine. Random mode works, keyboard mode works, pattern edit and play modes work.

started poking around in digital section

EDIT: just found a third problem: REST steps have warble
EDIT2: oh yeah, REST is all kinds of messed up :)

antto

Re: tempo resets to FASTEST on power up

Post by antto »

1: the tempo is usually saved on the internal EEPROM of the atmega mcu
try reflashing the firmware and see if that fixes it..

2: do you mean that the accent attribute in a pattern is missing after a reboot?
make sure you are actually saving the pattern after you modify it.. try modifying a few more things in a pattern to see if it's really related to the accent or not only

for the warble, could you record a short (and clean) audio clip demonstrating it?
also check what attributes the actual REST step has, this might be related to the cause

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

antto wrote:1: the tempo is usually saved on the internal EEPROM of the atmega mcu
try reflashing the firmware and see if that fixes it..

2: do you mean that the accent attribute in a pattern is missing after a reboot?
make sure you are actually saving the pattern after you modify it.. try modifying a few more things in a pattern to see if it's really related to the accent or not only

for the warble, could you record a short (and clean) audio clip demonstrating it?
also check what attributes the actual REST step has, this might be related to the cause

hi antto

1. yes, I'm afraid I will have to either do that or buy another MC.

2. if I save a pattern with accents in pattern edit mode and then switch to pattern play mode, the accented steps are fine. It's not until I reboot that they're lost. When I start up in pattern play mode, there are no accented notes until I hold accent, at which point they are all given accent. If I go into pattern edit mode, the accent LED will shine on the steps that were programmed with an accent, but it's not until I press the button AGAIN that the accent is applied according to the audio output.

3. I will post here again once I have a recording of the REST behavior

thanks

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

http://soundcloud.com/user-649100993/x0 ... ple-ignore

hear the weirdo slide up to the next note from the rest (no slide programmed on the REST note), and conversely to the next note(s) following a rest?
and the slight warble?

I put notes along the length of the file to help you follow the track

antto

Post by antto »

that's quite messed up
play this pattern again at a slow-ish tempo as in the beginning of your recording, and measure the 12V and 5.33V lines as it plays.. see if they move
i strongly suspect something is messing them up in order to detune the VCO that much (which also causes chaos in the VCF afterwards)

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

hm

J4 on the main board shows 9v or 4v, rather than 12 and 5.33, and there is a substantial drop during REST notes

Oddly I can't get a reading on J4 on the i/o board but the voltages are fine at IC23 according to the testing guide. Nothing's getting hot and all the other tests in the PSU are fine. Maybe IC22 blew up--will replace tonight

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

after replacing IC22 I see 9.29 and 4.17v on j4 on I/o board

:d

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

:{

tempomaster

Post by tempomaster »

What is your AC wall-wart power supply rated at? If you disconnect everything from the IO board, and measure your voltages there, what do you get? You really only need to disconnect J4, J3 pins 2,3,6,7, J5 pin 3 (+6V) to isolate/remove the power supply from the mainboard.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”