No sound and strange sequencer behaviour, please help.

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Metz

No sound and strange sequencer behaviour, please help.

Post by Metz »

Hi x0x people.

Bought a Willzyx Kit.

No sound after completing the build. I have tested all the analog section and everything seems good, I do get the LFO/strange feedback effect on the filter when resonance is turned right up using the trim pot however. Is this normal when the trim is turned past about 3/4?

One thing I did do by mistake during the build:

I was given an extra 10uf 16v capacitor instead of the 47uf 10v so I checked where each one went and mistakenly pulled up C28 after misreading the partslist. Doing this I accidentally pulled off the solder pad on the bottom side of the board. As this was just the ground plane I fixed it by gently scraping off the solder mask next to the pad to reveal a copper patch and made sure the solder flowed to this when I re-inserted the cap. I am wondering if this might be causing the lfo/feedback behavior of the filter? Should I make a jumper connection instead?

For quickness I went to my local maplin to get the other 47uf that was missing but they only had a 35v no 10vs. This was installed in C53. Didn't think the voltage was important as long as it was higher right?

USB doesn't work, chip is getting very hot! Windows doesn't recognise it. I bought the kit with pre soldered USB chip.
I had a spare XTL2 so replaced that after reading another thread on here but still have the same problem.

I have spent some time searching here but haven't found any thread quite like what I'm experiencing.

Here is the sequencer behavior when cycling through the settings. I am unsure if this is all the correct behavior but I'm guessing it is not.

PATTERN SYNC OUT:-
- No LEDs light up
- None of the buttons are reactive.

MIDI PLAY:-

- Tempo LED flashes, knob turn and encoder unresponsive.
- Pattern select cycles 1-8 = 1-8 LEDs light up, 9-16 = 1-8 LEDs light up again.
- Clicking white keys = LEDs stay lit for each key.
- Clicking black keys = non-responsive, no LEDs.
- Clicking run = C2 LED flashes rapidly, Done LED lights up constant.
- Prev + Next buttons appear responsive but no Prev LED.
- Done, up, rest, accent, slide buttons unresponsive.

RANDOM:-

- Tempo has no LED, knob + encoder are unresponsive.
- Pattern select has same 1-8 cycle behavior as MIDI PLAY.
- White keys, same behavior as MIDI PLAY
- Black keys same unresponsive behavior as MIDI PLAY
- Chain button works, can chain 1-8.
- Down, up, next, accent, slide LEDs light up when clicked, Done is unresponsive.
- Holding Down, 8 flashes, holding up and 1 flashes.

KEYBOARD:-

- Exactly same behavior as RANDOM mode.
- I get no sound when pressing any keys. I checked pin 7 IC11 whilst pressing keys and get no change in voltage.
I think I just had a constant voltage with or without keys pressed, will check and report back when I'm next at my x0xb0x.

USER A:-

- Tempo tapping encoder is responsive, turning knob is not.
- pattern selection exhibits same cycle looping 1-8 as before.
- Clicking run = Current pattern LED flashes.
- Chain works as before.

USER B:-

- Tempo encoder no longer works to tap but turning the knob does change the tempo of the LED flashing.
- Done LED flashes when clicked.
- White key LEDs as before, still no Black.
- Pattern select, can now select all 1-16, no loop cycle anymore.

USER C:-

- No Tempo LED, encoder and turning is unresponsive.
- White key LEDS, still no black.
- Up and down LEDs work when clicked, 8 and 1 flash again.

Both BOOTLOAD + COMPUTER CONTROL behave the same:-

- Same behavior as USER C, except the tempo encoder and turning both change the LED flashing tempo.

TRACK EDIT:-

- Just pattern select works, cycles 1-16, nothing else is responsive.

TRACK MIDI SYNC:-

- Just turning the tempo knob works, no encoder. None of the other keys are responsive.

TRACK DIN SYNC:-

- No Tempo LED (unresponsive)
- Pattern select, 1-16 working.
- White and black keys are responsive now, LEDs are lit for as long as key is pressed. Goes off when Key is released.
- Prev, next, run and Chain don't work.
- Down LED stays on when button is clicked until Up is clicked.
- Up stays on when clicked, flashes when clicked again. Pressing down when UP LED is flashing returns UP LED to constant on
- Accent LED stays on when accent is clicked, goes off when clicked again.

PATT DIN SYNC, MIDI SYNC + PATT EDIT modes
- All modes exhibit weird behavior where only white keys are responsive, LEDs come on selectively and stay on. It seems to freeze when going between these three modes, LEDs of white keys stay on from previous selection but all keys become unresponsive.

I am suspecting a faulty 16 rotary switch or micro-controller after reading some of the other threads on here. Maybe?

I have a working soundcard scope for testing and a multi meter.

What do you x0xers think? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

Metz

Re: No sound and strange sequencer behaviour, please help.

Post by Metz »

So I have it working now!!! :D Well most of it...

Should have continued searching through all the threads on here in the first place. The fault was a dodgy USB chip, cut the trace to it so I don't have usb but its brought the rest of it to life. Also I'm not getting any signal out of the 'PHONE' output. So might need a new LA4140.

The sequencer seems functional too, I had been looking at the pots as though the flat side was the direction so when I was going through all the settings I was looking at the opposite selection, face-palm...

Going to test to see if I have MIDI, look more into the headphone section and maybe further down the line sort the USB.

So pleased with what I have got at the moment though, Aciiiiiiiiid!!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”