Is my bootloader faulty?
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is my bootloader faulty?

by Oortone on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 pm

I've trouble getting bootloader mode to work.

According to what I've read some leds are supposed to blink when starting in Booltloader mode.
Which ones?

When I start I mostly get no leds, sometimes I get all (or almost all) leds. This is less often.

x0xbox seems to be working otherwise.
USB communication with c0ntr0l seems to work but not firmware upgrade.

Since I don't know which OS is on the CPU I'm guessing the only option for me is to buy a new CPU with a modern OS?
Or could I initialize it somehow?

Oortone

Re: Is my bootloader faulty?

by Nordcore on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 pm

No, the default Bootloader does NOT SET the LED properly. It leaves them in the (more or less) random(!) boot up state.

My bootloader changed that. But a new bootloader can only be programmed with a programmer (hardware device), so nobody has that.
The Bootloader of the x0xLarge also changes that. (See x0xLarge documentation if you have that. )

So:

If your x0x is working OK in the other modes and shows a (more or less) random pattern if powered up in BOOTLOAD, and this does not change if you turn the mode knob, than it seems that the boot loader code is in fact OK! (= the boot loader inhibits the normal x0x program start successfully. )

Windows only:
Power up the x0x, connect it to your computer by USB and see if there is a "USB Serial Port (COMx)" (x=2..99) device in device manager. (see: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/a- ... n-windows/ ) You need this number for setting up c0nb0x!
If you see this COMx port, than a)the FTDI chip inside your x0x works and b)your Windows has the proper drivers.
If you don't see it, you have to solve that first. There is absolutely no use messing around with c0nb0x if you don't have that COM display in the device manager.

Nordcore

by antto on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm

as Nordcore said, the "normal" x0xb0x bootloader doesn't blink any LEDs

what you've read about blinking LEDs was probably about the x0xb00t2.x bootloader, which is available on the cpu-upgrade adapter (x0xlarge)
if your x0xb0x is a "normal" one, then you would have the original cpu (atmega162) and the normal bootloader, which doesn't initialize the LEDs at all, so they end up in a quasi-random state (some may be on, others off, or all could be on/off, but definately no blinking ones!)

so, in your situation (assuming that you are indeed running the normal cpu), check whether you have a working bootloader (because there have been circulating some badly programmed atmega162s with a firmware flashed on, but no bootloader at all)
..do this by turning the x0xb0x ON in "bootload" mode, and then turn the MODE/FUNC selector knob to any other mode (like pattern play, keyboard mode)
- if the x0xb0x responds to that (by changing the LEDs, responding to button presses, playing notes, etc) then it seems that you don't have a working bootloader
- if the x0xb0x doesn't respond to that, then chances are high that you have the bootloader working and waiting for commands

and just for your information, if you'd be buying a new cpu (atmega162) for some reason, buy it from one of the respected x0xb0x sellers, or ask the seller whether he's sure that the chip has a working x0xb0x bootloader on it, and not just a firmware

antto

by Oortone on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:09 am

Thanks for the help. I can confirm it seems like my bootloader is ok, I did the test starting in bootloader and then turn to other mode and it doesn't change.

Thing is, I only have some Macs, no Windows.

So I have tried Virtual Box/Windows XP and since I can make c0ntr0l talk with the x0xbox in the other modes I'm pretty sure the COM-port and driver things are working properly. USB almost always work extremely well with VirtualBox I use it a lot.

I've also tried c0nb0x for MacOS with th X11 stuff but I can't manage to make it communicate properly although I managed to start the c0nb0x program and wander through it's options. But no proper contact with the machine.

At least now I know the situation. Since I'm not planning to experiment with different OS I guess I might buy the latest non-experimental one on chip so I know what's inside my box.

Is SokkOS 1.9.1 considered the latest stable (non beta) version? That's what these guys offer anyway:
https://sound-imperium.de/gb/electronic ... miert.html

Oortone

by antto on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 am

no, i wouldn't call sokkos 1.9.1 "latest" or even "stable"
there are, probably, bugs in all firmwares
in your situation i'd try at least sokkos 2
but that's still old, so go for MarOS (check the thread in this subforum)

what you really need is a manual, and there is no decent/complete manual that i know of for sokkos, but there might be for MarOS

antto

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.