Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

by rv0 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm

@E:pp:ik
its a bit confusing indeed
if i'm correct,
these are the parts you need to order for the x0xb0x itself:
http://alphazone1.com/x0xi0/parts/x0xb0 ... ustom.html

I built the 2 pcb's of the x0xI0 without any problems (other than those mentioned above here), so it's safe to go ahead with that..
Havent built the main + power PCB yet, also a bit hesitant.

rv0

by E:pp:ik on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly and sending me that link Darf.
OK - so I guess the first step is to cross reference the main x0x parts list to Brian's PCB kit list and see what's what.

It seems to me that I should start with the main boards and then move on to the mods, just like the original. I'm actually hesitant to build the mods until I have a way to test and reference them to a working main board...

Still buried...
E:pp:ik | Metro Electro x0xlog
TB-303 ~ x0x SS01 ~ x0x #330 ~ [WIP] x0xio #133
E:pp:ik

by rv0 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 pm

the mod pcb's are really straight forward actually if you follow the instructions and pay a lot of detail to knob alignment during soldering.
it was fun to assemble, just tripple-check all your actions and it should be fine when your tools are fine.
(well.. i havent checked my work yet, so i might have made a lot of mistakes, but i dont think so)

just sort out your parts first (i 'taped' most parts on sheets of paper and wrote what they were right above it)
so i have a sheet of resistors, a sheet of capacitors, etc...

if i were you i'd just start with the 2 mod pcb's following the manual, you should be fine
dont connect any wires yet.

rv0

by bcbox on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi guys,
there's only about 3 of you with the custom PCB at this point.
I haven't finished the documentation yet, as there is special instructions for use with the custom PCB.

I completely agree that things are confusing right now. The kits are ongoing with improvements etc.. and the proper documentation is a month or two behind the release of the new parts, changes etc..

1. I updated the Kit Info/About page the other day to clearly state what each kit includes, what is needed, etc...
2. Currently I am working on version 2.0 of the Full kit install manual, online & PDF versions.
However everything in the current online install manual is correct with the exception of page 49 regarding VCF Out/VCA In. There are mistakes there.
3. I would recommend stuffing the x0xi0 PCB's first. Get those stuffed and cleaned up and ready. The only step not mentioned is that R321,R322 need to go to bottom of the PCB if you have the black potentiometer for VR302 (I think you do since it's a newer kit)
4. The custom mainboard comes with some parts. These are either substitutes for stock x0xb0x parts or additional parts that aren't used with the stock kit. Certain parts such as the voltage regulators, power supply caps, heatsinks, are supplied. Also among other things all the resistors for the I/O PCB are supplied. Check these two parts lists and cross reference and you'll get an idea:
http://alphazone1.com/x0xi0/parts/x0xb0 ... ustom.html
http://alphazone1.com/x0xi0/parts/x0x_pcbs_parts.html
5. I would hold off on stuffing the mainboard & I/O PCBs until I finish the manual as there's several parts substitution etc.. you can figure them by looking at the parts lists but there's a good chance to miss a few things. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as stuffing a regular x0xb0x mainboard.
6. About testing the mainboard & mod with the custom PCB I'm working on it now as well. There is some risk with the custom pcb's as you want to get everything tested and correct before soldering those pinheads on the mainboard and x0xi0 top PCB to mount them together. The good side is it's a cleaner install and much less chance for error. I've done four so far with no problems.

Regarding the Full Mod, in my case Run 2 (and perhaps the custom pcbs again):
- Have we got one clear place where these issues are properly compiled and listed *by relevance* to each branch of these mods?

No, currently they are pretty much grouped together in the support section of the website. At some point the differences will be documented in one file and put up on the site.
bcbox

by E:pp:ik on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly Brian. You put my mind at ease. :) I'll go ahead and get as far as possible with the mod boards. it looks like the PSU can be built without a hitch too.
E:pp:ik | Metro Electro x0xlog
TB-303 ~ x0x SS01 ~ x0x #330 ~ [WIP] x0xio #133
E:pp:ik

by dnigrin on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:20 pm

E:pp:ik wrote:it looks like the PSU can be built without a hitch too.
Yes but be careful there too; for example, the big caps on the PSU get laid down sideways on the new x0xb0x i/o board (for clearance reasons I would imagine). I almost made a mistake and mounted them vertically, and clipped their leads, but luckily I realized it before clipping, and was able to fix 'em.
Dan Nigrin - Defective Records
CycliC, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-202 & MC-4 Hack / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction / PC-1600 User
http://www.defectiverecords.com
http://www.jackosx.com
dnigrin

by bcbox on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 am

Yes but be careful there too; for example, the big caps on the PSU get laid down sideways on the new x0xb0x i/o board (for clearance reasons I would imagine). I almost made a mistake and mounted them vertically, and clipped their leads, but luckily I realized it before clipping, and was able to fix 'em.

yes exactly, there are some things like this you need to know for the custom PCB's.
One other note as well.
When using the custom PCB's the new 12V power supply that powers most of the x0xi0 mod resides on the custom x0xb0x I/O PCB, not the x0xi0 I/O PCB as is when using stock PCB's. So the LM317, TM302, and few other parts don't need to be stuffed on the x0xi0 I/O PCB. The exact parts not to stuff are..
- IC305
- TM302
- C328
- C329
- C330
- r350
- r351
bcbox

by kroutshev on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 am

Ouchh ... i've got custom pcb in stock .. but will mount them next month !!
i will monitor that thread to do not make mistake when i will begin it !
Good luck guys i will join you soon :-) !
kroutshev

by dnigrin on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 am

BTW, Brian you'll be happy to know that I successfully painted my pot pointers on the 9mm pots on my v1 kit per your posted instructions and video. It was pretty easy, you just have to be patient and precise. The final result makes things much more usable! Thanks for posting that stuff.
CycliC, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-202 & MC-4 Hack / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction / PC-1600 User
dnigrin

by netpusher on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:28 am

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give a huge thanks to Brian for fixing my x0xi0 kit. I just got it back last week and it sounds damn amazing! I contacted Brian in May with some issues that popped up that were beyond my capabilities to fix. I shipped it off to him to take a look at. He was really great at communicating what was wrong with it and when things were going to be fixed on my x0xi0. When he shipped it back, the x0xi0 was meticulously packed and protected in transit to my house. Not many people take that time and effort that he did. I am very grateful to have one of these kits finished and just wanted to share it with everyone.
netpusher

by dnigrin on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Brian - I know the updated manuals are forthcoming, but in the meantime...

I know about placing both R322 and R321 on the bottom of the x0xi0 I/O PCB, because of the new VR302 pots that are being supplied. Two questions about VR302 though:

1) My VR302 is center-detented; is that supposed to be? A center detent doesn't seem to fit with that pot's function...

2) The shaft of VR302 is longer than that of VR301 - I presume we are just supposed to cut it down to equal VR301's length?

Also, any comment on this:
While I'm at it with commenting on spacing, on the Custom x0xb0x Main board, the 10 nF red WIMA cap at C33 is a really tight squeeze with R105...

Thanks!
dnigrin

by bcbox on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm

1) My VR302 is center-detented; is that supposed to be? A center detent doesn't seem to fit with that pot's function...

It's the tone control. I changed it to center detent because many people just crank it up to max, and then wonder why it's so noisy! I left a very wide range of tone, more than any other distortion/overdrive, so it gets very bright, dirty and aggressive when opened up. The mid position is the most useful area so I now use the center detent to convey that.

2) The shaft of VR302 is longer than that of VR301 - I presume we are just supposed to cut it down to equal VR301's length?

yes, you have to cut the shaft to the same length as the other one.

While I'm at it with commenting on spacing, on the Custom x0xb0x Main board, the 10 nF red WIMA cap at C33 is a really tight squeeze with R105...

yes, it's tight. On the ones I've built I've been able to get it to seat with careful planning of the resistors next to it. They'll be a note in the specific install manual.
bcbox

by fudog on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 am

Section 6 Step 3

Installing 3 wires to j7.

It says to connect the thicker 22AWG green wire to pin 2 of j7.

However I only have 24AWG green wire supplied with the kit. Is this a problem?

Most of the supplied wire is 24AWG with exception to a much thicker gray wire and a thicker black wire.
fudog

by bcbox on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 pm

However I only have 24AWG green wire supplied with the kit. Is this a problem?

it's absolutely fine.
The kit should have a small piece of 22AWG red and a small piece of 22AWG green.
It's used for some of the power and ground connections to make sure you get a good connection, low resistance. However the wire is perfectly fine as long as you do a good job stripping and solder it in there nicely, and not cutting off half the the strands of wire hacking it in ;)
bcbox

by fudog on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:20 pm

ok cool, no problem with the wires so far, i'm tinning them first :wink:

I can resume work, yay!
fudog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.