n0nx0x beta

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
3phase

Re: n0nx0x beta

Post by 3phase »

I havent found the time to check it yet... but is pattern transpose still active? so you can transpose the pattern to a desired key while running?..not in edit mode.. as part of a performance?

thats extremly important for me.. would be a pitty if not, because in the real 303 and sokos changing pattern and transposition are pretty vital performance parameters that assist the filter knob moving very well..

regards sven

rv0

Post by rv0 »

3phase wrote:I havent found the time to check it yet... but is pattern transpose still active? so you can transpose the pattern to a desired key while running?..not in edit mode.. as part of a performance?
YES
please keep in mind that this OS is very true to the 303
we would not remove a killer feature like this
as i also said a few times in this topic, apart from tapmode (todo) and some quirks in edit mode (to fix) (and the lack of track mode: todo) this OS provides full 303 functionality and much more.

in fact i mentioned transposing just 2 posts ago:
darffader wrote: if you want to transpose the notes of a pattern, this can only be done in pattern play mode (by holding Pitch Mode + a note), like on original 303

LZ303

Post by LZ303 »

Thanks a lot for the firmware :)

I am very glad that i am not the only one who missed the opportunity to program the X0xb0x like a real 303.

I always wondered why companies or whoever put out a 303 clone without the 303 sequencer. I also own a 303 and it also has a midi in but i always come back to the original 303 sequencer because there i or better the 303 creates sequences which are so surprising sometimes ;)

I real enjoy the indipendent programming of pitch and time mode...

Just a last question:

Will there be a new CPU in the future? I read the posts about the new CPU and i had the feeling that there are some 'problems'?

Keep up the good work ...

antto

Post by antto »

thanks ;]

CPU - i guess there eventually will be a bigger CPU mod, not sure when or who'll make it :?
i just hope i get one soon

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

So I take it this is new(like really new??) I'm up for trying it as from understanding what I've read?? This allows note stretching??(like the original 303?).

So erm where can I get this layout and manual cos I think I'm gonna make a backup of my existing firmware and give it a go!!

Stay up forever style acid techno coming soon!!!

rv0

Post by rv0 »

wonkyfunk303 wrote:So I take it this is new(like really new??)
yep
wonkyfunk303 wrote: I'm up for trying it as from understanding what I've read?? This allows note stretching??(like the original 303?).
yep, works 100% like real 303 because we love the real 303 sequencer.
extra stuff added (read this thread)
wonkyfunk303 wrote: So erm where can I get this layout and manual cos I think I'm gonna make a backup of my existing firmware and give it a go!!
no manual for n0nx0x yet
it works just like 303 apart from the stuff mentioned in this thread.
303 manual is available from Roland and info on how to program can be read on http://www.dinsync.info (and plenty of other sources, but phono's video's are very good)
Here's a pattern sheet with additional info (for 303): http://users.telenet.be/darffader/rv0te ... backup.doc

As for the layout.. For know it's best just to print out (and maybe laminate) one of the images posted in this thread..
these should all be the right size:
Choose one :) (they are all drafts, tryouts,...)
You have to cut/punch out the holes yourself.

when the feature set (and thus layout) of n0nx0x is more definite, i will order some adhesive overlays with pre-cut holes for the leds and switches and make my design available for everyone to modify.
for now we are waiting a bit for the new cpu developments because the size restrictions are counter-productive.

Don't spend a lot of money on an overlay, because some things will change in the next version.
Last edited by rv0 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

Sweet!! Thanks a lot for all your help!! Can't wait to get cracking with this!! Will I have a problem in the future getting the firmwares if you get a new CPU as I'm BANNED at soldering stuff and have only just bought my x0x!

I can't wait to get home now!!

rv0

Post by rv0 »

normally installing the new cpu will just be removing the old one (which should be socketed) and attaching the cable from the new cpu board to the socket.

the new cpu board will be pre-soldered as far as i understand

you can confirm to textile if you want a new cpu in the following topic: New Cpu Project

antto

Post by antto »

note: the RND/CPY/PST buttons will be rearanged to CPY/RND/PST from the next release, so i suggest not to hurry with the overlay
i just printed an overlay on paper a few days ago, and it's okay-ish (printed on thick A4 paper)
the functions in the FUNCTION switch will also be rearanged and there will be new ones, like Settings, DrumSeq..
but this is going to be done on the bigger CPU
my point is that the whole panel layout will be redrawn with new labels on the FUNC switch..

there is a manual with n0nx0x v1.01 but it only has version history so far (there will be a user guide and programming tips later)
for quick help - you can check this thread, lots of the features are described here, or ask me on IRC (i'm hanging on irc.freenode.net -> #x0xb0x )

rarara

Post by rarara »

darffader wrote:
rarara wrote:ok, thanks for that - seems to be working better.

quick question though: shift - i thought this transposed all notes in a pattern, no? and do pitch and time shift independently? shifting time mode seems to havee no effect

thanks

what shift does is shift positions in the list of pitchmode or timemode up or down

so imagine you shift pitchmode (e.g. EAAAEAAAEAAAEAAA) up once, you will get: AEAAAEAAAEAAAEAA
if i had shifted it down i would get AAAEAAAEAAAEAAAE

same for time mode.. imagine a pattern like this:

Code: Select all

original time mode:    G G - -    G G - -    G G - -    G G - -
original shifted down: G - - G    G - - G    G - - G    G - - G  
original shifted up:   - G G -    - G G -    - G G -    - G G - 

if you want to transpose the notes of a pattern, this can only be done in pattern play mode (by holding Pitch Mode + a note), like on original 303
that makes a lot of sense - thanks. shift seems to be working for pitch mode. trying it with time mode makes no difference though. does shift definately work with both modes? is there any difference in the functionlity between the two?

antto

Post by antto »

yes, it works
shifting time mode with all G's won't make any difference tho..

rarara

Post by rarara »

tried it with a variety of time info, but it isn't working as far as i can determine. can you think of any reason why?

antto

Post by antto »

yeah, i just checked my code, seems i've comented it out for an unknown reason
will fix it and release after work today :oops:

rarara

Post by rarara »

phew! thanks for that. will the release have any other things changed/added?

antto

Post by antto »

probably not

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”