n0nx0x beta

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xlarge

Re: n0nx0x beta

Post by xlarge »

3phase wrote:...in any case pattern copy would be something the origina 303 is missing badly..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDG77c8lMEA
?

antto

Post by antto »

3phase:
actually, pattern note data on the 303 is not "shared"
we analyzed this, it turns out it's a very simple "bug" in the code (or is it intentional? who knows)
this is why it's possible to "copy" patterns on the 303 as xlarge pointed out
here's how it works:
the 303 has some EPROM memory where the patterns are stored
there are 16 bytes for each pattern there, no matter what, and there is no voodoo going on
however, when you edit or play patterns - they are not read from this EPROM
instead, there is a "pattern buffer" in the CPU
when the 303 loads a pattern to operate on it (be it playing or editting) it reads the pattern from memory into this pattern buffer, it stops when it finds a EOP, and reads only the notes that are "used" in the pattern
but this pattern buffer doesn't get cleared <- this is the whole bug
so when you load a pattern of 16 notes, then, select another pattern which only has 4 notes, go into pitch mode and press NEXT, you will hear these 4 notes, but after that - you'll hear the remaining 16 old notes from the other pattern

the reason why the copy/paste on the 303 doesn't copy the 1st step is because when you switch to the empty pattern - the 303 loads it, but there is only an EOP in the first byte, so it stops there
and your pattern buffer now becomes "EOP" + steps from 2 to 16 from the previously selected pattern

i did implement this same behaviour in my soft synth, but i think it's not so exciting anymore
it has one advantage: you can accidentally make some interesting patterns this way, by leaving "garbage" combining it with short patterns resulting in long patterns of semi-random notes.. nah..
it has one disadvantage: notes get Lost, this is one thing i don't like here
instead my idea is to preserve all 16 notes in a pattern

currently, not much can be done about n0nx0x on this small CPU
but there is a "Plan" going on for when the bigger CPU is available
some of the new stuff includes:

- Settings mode
- Pattern Edit - all functions like on a 303 but enhanced
- Pattern Edit - Modifiers (this will ROCK)
- Pattern Play - Transpose "STICK"
- Track Mode - eventually, but it's gonna be completely different from the 303
- MIDI-Trigger mode - connect to computer, hold down a Note44 - x0x plays pattern 44, overlap Note45 - x0x immediately changes to pattern 45 (keeping the playing position, just like how it works now in PatEdit-Preview) ... Transpose could also be implemented at the same time (on another midi Channel)
- Patterns will be convertable to other formats

3phase

Post by 3phase »

antto wrote:3phase:
actually, pattern note data on the 303 is not "shared"
we analyzed this, it turns out it's a very simple "bug" in the code (or is it intentional? who knows)
this is why it's possible to "copy" patterns on the 303 as xlarge pointed out
here's how it works:
the 303 has some EPROM memory where the patterns are stored
there are 16 bytes for each pattern there, no matter what, and there is no voodoo going on
however, when you edit or play patterns - they are not read from this EPROM
instead, there is a "pattern buffer" in the CPU
when the 303 loads a pattern to operate on it (be it playing or editting) it reads the pattern from memory into this pattern buffer, it stops when it finds a EOP, and reads only the notes that are "used" in the pattern
but this pattern buffer doesn't get cleared <- this is the whole bug
so when you load a pattern of 16 notes, then, select another pattern which only has 4 notes, go into pitch mode and press NEXT, you will hear these 4 notes, but after that - you'll hear the remaining 16 old notes from the other pattern
xlarge wrote:
3phase wrote:...in any case pattern copy would be something the origina 303 is missing badly..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDG77c8lMEA
?

ah cool.. so one can use that buffer "bug" to perform copys.. nice that there is still some new things about the good ol 303..

I allready have ordered the new cpu board and relabled my xox...

do you think its possible to fix the syncing with the actual cpu? except the timing issue its a pretty good version allready ..
so people that like 303 style programming could benefit from nonxox also on the small cpu..

maybe people that want a complete 303 style os should sponsor you the cpu board? i am pretty brooke wright now but would donate 10 euro for that purpose..

anybody else thinks thats a good idea?

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Sokkos does handle midi sync - on triplets as well. So it's definitely doable.

antto

Post by antto »

forgot to mention..
there is another difference between the 303 and the x0x:
the internal tempo clock
in the 303, i'm 95% sure (but not 100%) that it's simply a squarewave generator (analog)
in the x0xb0x it's generated by the CPU (by timers)
and i think this is the reason for the tempo getting "jerky" when you tweak the Tempo encoder..

antto

Post by antto »

hello guys
:cry: i'm sorry to say that this project has waited too long and i decided to stop (or pause) developement of the n0nx0x fimrware for now

waiting for the CPU mod took quite a bunch of months time during which there wasn't much (none) progress on neither the n0nx0x project, nor my more-significant software synth project (n0nx0x was supposed to be "tied" with it)
and since the software synth project is already very old (over 2 years now) and still not a true version 1.0 - i decided to stop waiting, and develope the software synth sequencer alone (thus, not trying to make it consistent or compatible with n0nx0x or the x0xb0x hardware)

eventually, one day i *might* give this project a new try (given that the CPU mod would be already available, and hopefully there will be a significant amount of people having it)

3phase

Post by 3phase »

antto wrote:hello guys
:cry: i'm sorry to say that this project has waited too long and i decided to stop (or pause) developement of the n0nx0x fimrware for now

waiting for the CPU mod took quite a bunch of months time during which there wasn't much (none) progress on neither the n0nx0x project, nor my more-significant software synth project (n0nx0x was supposed to be "tied" with it)
and since the software synth project is already very old (over 2 years now) and still not a true version 1.0 - i decided to stop waiting, and develope the software synth sequencer alone (thus, not trying to make it consistent or compatible with n0nx0x or the x0xb0x hardware)

eventually, one day i *might* give this project a new try (given that the CPU mod would be already available, and hopefully there will be a significant amount of people having it)

ohhh too bad :-(..but ok.. understandable..

Was the beta 1.01 and 1.02 the latest versions or have you made another one that has maybe some fixes but wasnt released?

antto

Post by antto »

the current modified version hasn't been released
but i wouldn't say it fixes any bugs, as i started making changes and some of the "features" stopped working in a bad way (specifically midi sync and all) so it's not much useful

gsm909

Post by gsm909 »

Antto, please dont give up on this firmware.

i installed nonxox .the xoxbox has come alive. it is fantastic !!!

CPU Upgrade ASAP , and a new laser engraved nonxox front panel required...

antto

Post by antto »

i don't know what to say, really :?
thanks for the thumbs up

gsm909

Post by gsm909 »

antto wrote:of course, i don't have any reason to stop developement of this thing once i have the bigger CPU here
the latest version is beta1.02 on the first post
Antto, Altitude says you have the new cpu board , so id love to see a new n0nx0x os soon... :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

:shock: *looks around his room*
erm, no, i don't see the "cpu mod" around here
..i would have noticed it :roll:

isak

Post by isak »

Hi Antto.

Sorry if this asked before..
Does your frimware have the ability to tap notes like in the 303?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo60hdpiwc0
Watch from 2:50

Cheers man.

antto

Post by antto »

n0nx0x beta - is dead, and doesn't have tap-write mode, doesn't have many things actually ;]

n0nx0x2 has it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D05LdQGCk0A
on top of that, the metronome can be disabled from the settings (defaults to ON)

isak

Post by isak »

Cool!
Half of the things you did there I didn't understand.
I use to sokkos firmware so much.
Never tried something else.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”