InstaEdit Mod - Switch between Pattern Play and Edit

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zbr

InstaEdit Mod - Switch between Pattern Play and Edit

Post by zbr »

Hi
I've just discovered an easy and useful mod, so sharing to the community.

:!: Facts:
1. The two most used functions on the x0xb0x are Pattern Play and Pattern Edit. I don't think I will ever use any other function in a live situation. Unfortunately those functions are seperated by 3 clicks on the function selection knob, and in the darkness it isn't very easy to see.

2. If you turn the knob too far left it goes to MIDI PLAY mode, when you turn it too far to the right, it goes into TRACK mode. Going in any of those modes while playing will stop your x0x.

3. In my setup I want to use x0xen as a master MIDI clock (only because RM1x changes the tempo when you change styles). If x0x stops, all other toys will stop. Catastrophic.

:idea: Solution:
To mount a toggle switch that will only let me go to EDIT mode and flick back to PLAY mode (On SokkOS it will not stop playback :mrgreen:
The encoder has five legs. I dont know what the proper numbering is, so I will assume 1 (first one on the right, looking at open x0x) as common, then 2-5 as bits 0 to 3 forming a 4 bit number 1-16. Pins are shortened to common as the switch rotates.
(please someone correct me if my assumptions are wrong - i will edit the post)

We take a DPDT switch, and three wires.
Solder pin 1 on the S4 to both middle pins on the switch. Solder pins 2 and 3 on S4 to pins on one side on the switch, so pins 1 2 and 3 are shorted when the switch is on and are not connected when it's off.

Now if we leave Function Knob at 12 we can flick between pattern selection and pattern edit. Nice, huh?

(recommendation on the side: same could be achived in software by using USER A/B for pattern play and edit. I which that was in next revision of SokkOS)

And while on it, a question:
I'd love to be able to use the same switch to light a LED to clearly show the state of the device. But on the schematics the ground is switched through Q5 - would it be ok if I just used lets say pin 2 as ground for the LED or would it screw the readout ? It seems to work (is that thanks to the diodes after S4?), but I may be missing something.

zbr

Re: InstaEdit Mod - Switch between Pattern Play and Edit

Post by zbr »

Okay, I understand it now. No one finds it useful because they are not using x0x as their master midi clock source - of course if you sync it to midi, you'll only need one flick of the knob, not 3, so I guess you don't need a dedicated button.

antto

Post by antto »

and i need a 24th button.. :?

zbr

Post by zbr »

You already have 25!

I will post pictures of my x0x once I finish the assembly ; )
Lat time I checked it seemed like 19 more controls

a little BANNED from a different project

antto

Post by antto »

zbr wrote:You already have 25!
uhm, x0xb0x has only 23 Buttons and a clickable tempo-knob, which is useless that way, no?
it'd be better if someone could mod the tempo encoder and remove the "switch" part from it (or just make it unusable) and instead - connect the wires of the tempo switch to a new "button" on the panel
erm, maybe this have been done already actually
anyway, i didn't mean to steal the thread :roll:

rv0

Post by rv0 »

antto wrote:
zbr wrote:You already have 25!
uhm, x0xb0x has only 23 Buttons and a clickable tempo-knob, which is useless that way, no?
it'd be better if someone could mod the tempo encoder and remove the "switch" part from it (or just make it unusable) and instead - connect the wires of the tempo switch to a new "button" on the panel
erm, maybe this have been done already actually
anyway, i didn't mean to steal the thread :roll:
hah brilliant idea

while they're at it, replace the freakin' encoder by a pot just like on original 303
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sorry for the hijack..

ONTOPIC: you _could_ change the function of the mode selector in the firmware.. that way you could "group" the sync modes so you can never make a mistake live.
I agree the placement of those modes isnt practical at all.

zbr

Post by zbr »

oops I didn't count the buttons correctly last night sorry ; )

Should not be an issue at a l to replicate the tempo knob as a momentary switch on the panel, you don't need to do nothing to the tempo knob, just extending the switch with two wires should do the trick, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes including drilling the panel for a new hole

(that's a working sequencer on those pics btw - it has to be synced to an external clock but it does a fair amount of stuff already)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”