just the x0xb0x sequencer

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
covent

just the x0xb0x sequencer

Post by covent »

I wonder if anyone has built a CV/Gate and MIDI sequencer from the one in the x0xb0x.
Like has anyone removed the synth part in the x0xb0x and just kept the sequencer?

If anyone has done that, please get in touch with me as I realy wan one to run my other old CV/Gate synths.

Befacosynth

Re: just the x0xb0x sequencer

Post by Befacosynth »

Hi!
me too. I know how to redesign a pcb with eagle if somebody explain me what components you don't need any more if you just want to build the seq. I cant Know this by myself since y don't know this machine very good.
¿somebody know ?

antto

Post by antto »

i'm not good at this but as far as i can tell:
obviously you need the microcontroller, but i would wait till the CPU mod is available, since this will boost the capabilities of the normal x0xb0x sequencer alot
then, you need the buttons and the rotary switches
and the 40 leds

it'd be easier to list what you don't need :roll:
obviously the VCO, VCF, VCA and their knobs

Post by guest »

is the plan to design a new case for it

if you look at the pcb
there is a line seperating the digital
and analog sections
you pretty much just need the digital side

things that fall on the analog side that you need
rotary encoder and its led
ic9 and ic11 and the resistor ladder
q29 q30 and ic12 if you want slide
q36 and q37

you need almost everything on the ioboard
except the audio in and out jacks

if you arent intending to redo the case
you might as well use the same pcb
and just get whatever transistors you have handy
and build the whole thing
it wont cost much more
and youll have a synth as well

Brassteacher

Post by Brassteacher »

You'll also need to build IC9 in, and all its associated components. That is the DAC that generates control voltages. You will then need to run a jumper from the junction of R88, 89, and 90 to the CV out jack.

Gate obviously comes off pin 30 of the CPU, but if it was me, I'd build the gate buffer section as well, which is Q36, Q37 and associated components. Then I'd take a jumper from the collector of Q36 to the Gate out jack.

@antto: I don't know this, but I'm sure you probably do, does midi out on the x0x transmit all the sequencer data, as well as velocity, or just note on/off? I've been face-down in too many synths the last few days, and a lot of things in my mind are starting to run together...

antto

Post by antto »

Brassteacher wrote: @antto: I don't know this, but I'm sure you probably do, does midi out on the x0x transmit all the sequencer data, as well as velocity, or just note on/off? I've been face-down in too many synths the last few days, and a lot of things in my mind are starting to run together...
hm.. i'm not really familiar with midi _hardware_
but in the adafruit firmware i think they only output the midi Notes
but if it's a "normal" midi output then i guess it'll output whatever midi messages are sent out off it, like, you could completely rewrite the firmware and make it a polyphonic midi sequencer, why not?
unfortunately, i can't test it, i don't have a midi device of any kind, so i'm only guessing :roll:
if i'm right - then sure you can have velocity aftertouch midi CC everything..
if you just want the velocity on the notes keeping the whole x0xb0x firmware then i think it'd be veary easy to pick up the adafruit source code and edit the midi_note stuff to send velocity (erm, it DOES send velocity as there is no way to send a midi note without the velocity, but the problem is it's probably a fixed value always)

altitude

Post by altitude »

accent is a velocity over 100 on the x0x going in but I dont recall exactly how it sends it out, i'll check when i get home. I do recall testing early firmware when Limor was deciding how to handle slides and accents over midi and I could play a pattern on the x0x out through midi (with slides and accents), record it, play it back and have identical results

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

I don't think it DOES send Accent out.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”