New Experimental OS for x0xb0x adds DIN Swing

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paradigm x

Re: New Experimental OS for x0xb0x adds DIN Swing

Post by paradigm x »

Wow, awesome, many thanks for your efforts. Im still on sokkos 1.9.

I assume this means it will now swing my synced tr606 :shock: :D Amazing ! :mrgreen:

Cheers :)

Omsk411

Post by Omsk411 »

izze wrote:What a busy little bee you are :D

Cant wait for 1.0 release, you keep spitting them out in no time. Good work, where is your knowledge from ?

Greetz
Well, 95% of the work was simply reading through all the source code and trying to figure out what it was doing, then thinking about how I could implement my solutions. The actual physical labor of writing code only amounted to maybe 5% of the time. But as things stand now with version 0.93, I'm pretty happy with the way it's working and, if there are no bugs discovered, this will probably become the 1.0 version.

My knowledge is all self-taught, to be honest. Though I started as a Computer Science major in college years ago, I switched majors to Music Engineering after only a year. I didn't like the fact that they were trying to teach us LISP just to understand the fundamentals of programming...I'd already done enough BASIC and C++ programming of my own to understand these principles and felt like the courses would be a waste of time. Besides, my passion was music.

The best thing, though, about the x0xb0x is that is uses an Atmel ATmega162 microprocessor. This is the same family of microprocessors used on Arudino boards. I've been programming those for about a year so I was already quite familiar with those processors when I started looking at the x0xb0x source code. The Arduino platform is great--super-fun to build your own stuff. I'll be using the same microcontrollers for my own SID projects, too. :wink:
Paradigm X wrote:Wow, awesome, many thanks for your efforts. Im still on sokkos 1.9.

I assume this means it will now swing my synced tr606
You're welcome! And, yes, this should also cause your synced TR-606 to swing, too. It should also work for the TR-707/727, TR-808, and even the TR-909 (though it's not as necessary since the TR-909 already has its own built-in shuffle). Let me know if it doesn't work!

-Chad

Luap

Post by Luap »

Omsk411, I think you might like these then :wink:
http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1
A hybrid monosynth. ATMega based (644p). Designed to be hackable. Although like the x0xb0x, there is already next to no codespace left.
They do sound great though! I've built several..

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

I'm so excited!
Twenty seconds after reading your post, I've connected the usb cable to my xoxbox and loaded the firmware.
Now I'm checking the Xoxbox with an Electribe Er1 and the beloved TB303.
My heart stopped when I've heard the TB303 swing...
I love the possibility to start-stop the TB303 while the other Midi-synched machines are running.
No bugs to report, everything seems to run smootly.
Great job, all my support.

elektrovolt

Post by elektrovolt »

thanks! I am playing with the latest version and the sync out makes my 606 and 808 swing! although, the third swing level already freaks the slaved device. is this normal?
when looping or reversing it sometimes skips to another pattern. already checked the done button but it seems OK.

tempo tapping seems completely random. all this was no problem with the latest sokkOS version I used before.
Already reflashed the b0x, still the same.

Maybe an idea:
when creating a pattern with running sequencer, it would be extremely handy if it sends out midi and dinsync so you could use the synced device as some sort of recording metronome! I hope this would be possible

Jimi

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

After Jimi's post, I've checked the loop function, and I've found no problems...on my XOX seems to work perfecly.
Anybody else have tested it?

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

the tap tempo has never been working very good i think. i dont know when this funktion is wanted though...

im excited too about getting this os. stopping/starting machnies while running at a live performance would be awsome!

im awaiting a new micro, hopefully with the os installed, from substyler but havnt heard from him in some weeks...

sub!!! are you there? :)

elektrovolt

Post by elektrovolt »

tap tempo is not very essential indeed. it could be my microcontroller. did not have any of these problems before.
the clock does not seem stable to me, it sounds terrible when used as master. slaved on dinsync does a far better job. the tempo encoder, pots and tactile switches are not of the highest quality around...

it could be my x0x...

the stop and start sync function seems nice though, I'll check this later if it works. very handy for live indeed!

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

be sure your midi cable is wired correctly.

ive had problems with sync from time to time. and i think after reheating some solder joints around the micro (xtal and caps) i got away from this.

theres better tact switches at mouser. search the forum and you should find them. thy are more silent i think as well.

i dont like changing tempo with the encoder. the way it studders is not very BANNED for live performance.

we tried syncing up all our gear from a 202 so we could use its linear tempo knob. but the xox didnt wanna pass the sync on with midi...

altitude

Post by altitude »

aminoacid wrote:..

we tried syncing up all our gear from a 202 so we could use its linear tempo knob. but the xox didnt wanna pass the sync on with midi...
It only does that the other way around: Midi->Sync24

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

you cant get it all i guess...

altitude

Post by altitude »

:) Colin frasers midi->DIN goes both ways. Neato device since its bus powered if you want to get your PIC on

http://www.colinfraser.com/m2d/m2d.htm

elektrovolt

Post by elektrovolt »

this one does sync to midi also, not bus powered..

http://www.engineersatwork.nl/dtronics/ ... _ms06.html

phono

Post by phono »

since this is another firmware i guess this deserves a sticky

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

I've found that in "pattern sync out" mode the midi clock is not working anymore.
Double checked that in Sokkos 2.0 is working perfecly.
Furthermore, the midi-sync in Sokkos 2.0 is working well, I can't discern any delay or misallignment.
Can someone else test both the firmwares to confim this?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”