MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Re: MarOS - Fresh Firmware - Usability Update 1.3

Post by mario1089 »

Yep, there will won't be a fix for that kind of issue. Saving is the hardest thing to do, as that eeproms need a proper timing, so anything else is out of scope for a while.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

puh.. here is a new beta that hopefully is better regarding swung (and un-swung) DinSync output. It was not just a fix in what we had before. Effectively I had to rewrite all of it, but the new system is much more solid I think and can handle pattern changes and triplet patterns more easily. Used some more bytes, though. Could you please test it one more time? I didn`t do a full test run due to lack of time, but anything I looked at was fine. Again look for all tempo modes for both SYNC OUT and MIDI SYNC, and change patterns from/to triplet.

You may also test the new things about the Auto Variations: In parameter adjustment mode, Press C KEY to adjust which repetition of the current pattern is allowed to get variated. LED 4 means: 3 times no vari, 1 time with variation. Press the D-KEY or E-KEY to adjust the first, resp. the last step within the pattern that is allowed to be changed.

<FILE DELETED - WAIT FOR NEXT UPDATE WITH FIXES>
Last edited by mario1089 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

1.4 beta 5 Tested! :)

SYNC OUT
It seems now everything is perfect. The Din Sync is correctly generated and tight, also in triplet mode and half time.
There is some problem with triplet mode and half time, it's not related to swing: sometimes when half time is enabled, the pattern is not executed correctly but are played the 4 initial steps and then the pattern start his normal execution...unfortunatly I don't know how to recreate the problem. I believe this bug was there already. I don't use half time very often...somebody does?

MIDI SYNC
Here the things are more complicated. The din sync is generated correctly, based on midi clock, but sometimes is not perfectly in sync. It looks like is shifted by a fixed amount (some random pulses).
When I start the electribe, used as midi clock, sometimes I get the xox an the 303 running properly, sometimes slightly out of time.
I don't know if can help, but I've noticed that when the xoxbox is in SYNC OUT mode, the 303 receives the clock even if the xox is stopped (I guess it from the blinking leds on the 303). But when in MIDI SYNC, the leds are flashing only when the machines are running :o

The Auto variation is dope!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

When I start the electribe, used as midi clock, sometimes I get the xox an the 303 running properly, sometimes slightly out of time.
Ok, they`re out of sync then by one clock pulse. Can you confirm the box is late Or Early? [ to test this put box full left, 303 full right, then it`s easy to hear who`s first, as your brain makes that feel like a movement ]. Can you also confirm this has never been the case with sokkOS?

The other halftime thing I guess I haven`t broken, but I ll have a look anyway.

Thanx for sorting out:)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Actaully I`d guess the box is early, and I think I know why, and that will possibly a single line to fix. But a confirmation about this would be cool..!

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Yes, the box is early.
Can you also have a look to the fact the xoxbox accept the midi start when is in SYNC OUT mode? And also in DIN SYNC mode :(
cheers

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Just quickly: I think about stop to store any change on tempo knob on eeprom, as this messes up the timing all the time.. Means after turing off/on its back to 120, but I could store it each time you store a pattern, which I think is a nice workaround..

Opinions???

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Whats the need to store the tempo?
I think few people use the xoxbox as master clock.
Priority on clock tightness!

Another thing: it make sense to disable swing when the pattern is in triplets?
Only if this can make the code better or save bytes...

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Yes, it makes sense I know, but I let the user do that. Would take more bytes to turn it off. the system now is very independent from what the xox plays.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Yes, it makes sense I know, but I let the user do that. Would take more bytes to turn it off. the system now is very independent from what the xox plays.

BTW, I have beta ´5 in 10 minutes

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

So let`s see what this one does for you. I could repro the issues with slightly off timing when MIDI synced, and that the box wrongly reacts on MIDIStart signal in other-than-midi-sync-mode. Seems all fixed. Tempo knob only stored when pattern stored now. One more issue with sync also fixed.

I pray for it`s all good now, or good enough - please let me know!
Attachments
MarOS1.4beta5.zip
(16.53 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

rarara

Post by rarara »

really liking this.

think the 1/2 tempo no longer starts at the beginning of a measure though when in 'user a' (we talked about this but can't remember if you implemented?)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Not sure, I found the half tempo behave right (end of pattern change), so changed nothing. Did you say its a specific mode that it doesnt work in?

Forax

Post by Forax »

Haven't checked the board in a few years.. very exciting developments and great work, Mario!

rarara

Post by rarara »

mario1089 wrote:Not sure, I found the half tempo behave right (end of pattern change), so changed nothing. Did you say its a specific mode that it doesnt work in?
yes, its in 'user a' (but didn't test it in any other mode)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”