MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Re: MarOS - Fresh Firmware - Usability Update 1.3

Post by mario1089 »

Yeah!

So let`s wait 2 more days or so and see if anything else comes up.

For the future, I`ll work on a firmware with all sync out removed. I can tell you the xox is actaully pretty pissed for having to care for all that other machines to be in sync, it would prefer to make music and concentrate on this and nothing but this. Let some other thing do this lousy job. That makes the xox 5ms tighter in MIDI Sync mode and will give me around 700 bytes. Then I ll try to do something new regarding a per-pattern slide mode, which optinonally adds subsequent note-ons instead of sliding. In certain settings we`d have 1/32 notes then, or 1/64. It could "walk" to the next note, or keep the pitch of the first. We`ll see.

rarara

Post by rarara »

what was the situation with tap write - is that one for the future? could it be used with an external midi keyboard?

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

well, I won`t do a roland style tap writing. It´s too much work and too much bytes. But I may do a simple record mode where you play what you want and it gets recorded into the pattern while it`s running (Nice idea to do thy by MIDI also). But even this will not have priority. I`m very keen on that other slides modes, having additional 1/32 notes would be a major break through, especially for stuff a lower tempo (there music other than acid and the 303 supports them very very well).

rarara

Post by rarara »

mario1089 wrote:there music other than acid and the 303 supports them very very well
:? :roll: :? :?:

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

When I`m done with my next album, I`ll post at "Tracks using the xoxbox", then you`ll know..

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

mario1089 wrote:Yeah!

So let`s wait 2 more days or so and see if anything else comes up.

For the future, I`ll work on a firmware with all sync out removed. I can tell you the xox is actaully pretty pissed for having to care for all that other machines to be in sync, it would prefer to make music and concentrate on this and nothing but this. Let some other thing do this lousy job. That makes the xox 5ms tighter in MIDI Sync mode and will give me around 700 bytes. Then I ll try to do something new regarding a per-pattern slide mode, which optinonally adds subsequent note-ons instead of sliding. In certain settings we`d have 1/32 notes then, or 1/64. It could "walk" to the next note, or keep the pitch of the first. We`ll see.
I normally sync the x0x to Ableton Live and my tb303 and tr606 are synced to the x0x with a y-branch-din-cable. So I can record every audio-out "dry" with my audio-Interface on a different Ableton-Live-Track at the same time during a "jam"-session and everything is in sync and matches the Ableton-Speed. After that I can put different effects on each track and add tracks with vocals, effects and vst-Instruments.
So I need x0x midi-sync and sync out at the same time!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I don`t want to be rude, but that will not be possible with the MarOS1.5. But 1.4 will be maintained if there`s serious bugs. The thing I`m working on now will be really really cool, adding 1/32 double tempo notes within the existing pattern just right in the normal workflow (and much more), but it takes an awfull amount of bytes, so I need to remove anything that`s not core functionality. You could stay on 1.4, or only sometimes use 1.5 or get yourself a cheap MIDI-clock to DINsync converter for your other gear. I`d be much more happy with only adding things and not removing any and I have the best respect to anyone with old gear, but I want this features.

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

I think is better to freeze MarOS 1.4 beta 6 (or whatever) to 1.5 and use 2.0 for the new release without Din Sync.
This will help people to choose what to download.
And I suggest to open a new topic, too, because a lot of people doesn't visit the board often.

Din sync is still used by a lot of people, the xoxbox is great because it works also as a midi to din sync converter, so it will be a great loss.
Anyway, I'm very happy with 1.4 beta 6 and yesterday I recorded a new track with it.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I think is better to freeze MarOS 1.4 beta 6 (or whatever) to 1.5 and use 2.0 for the new release without Din Sync.
This will help people to choose what to download.
And I suggest to open a new topic, too, because a lot of people doesn't visit the board often.
Yes, agree, and this was actually the plan. Will be frozen and maintained for bugs. Possibly tomorrow.

The other thing should be a new topic as adressing different people, if not only me:) Btw, using a external MIDI to DIN converter will be a tighter system (when synced to midi). Xoxbox adds a 5ms delay on everything (or on the first clock?), not kidding.

am4d

Post by am4d »

Got a chance to use the latest beta today, great stuff.
Could you add start/stop dinsync while slaved to midi if possible before its frozen?

Also are you planing to work on a CPU MOD supported firmware?

Thanks Mario

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Could you add start/stop dinsync while slaved to midi if possible before its frozen?
Is that the things Omsk411 had put in his mod? I have no idea what it is and what for.. on the byte`s -side it looks really bad. How important would it be?

am4d

Post by am4d »

Its just a convenient feature to be able to stop, start and change pattern groups while everything else is still running.
I thought it might not be much code but I'll have to work around it otherwise. :)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I would give it a try if its like 10 bytes and someelse has succesfully implemented it before (as I can`t properly test nor judge about whether its good). Both seems not to be the case:(
For the last beta I`d been missing like 10 bytes and it took me 2 hours to find them, in the end I decactivated another very very tiny little thing... It`s that bad now with the bytes.

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Hi Mario,

I think the last beta was fine!
Could you please make a non-beta build with updated documentation?!
I lost the focus what the last beta has got and has lost in functionality...

Regarding DinSync I think a lot of people here with old gear love the sync-functionality
of the x0xb0x and will not change it for some "hyper-sequencer-funtionality". But I understand your own wishes!
so it would be fine to branch to have a stable Classic-MarioOs and an experimental "Super-MarioOs"! :)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I`m on it. Did the docs today, will all be posted later today.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”