MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Nordcore

Re: MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Post by Nordcore »

skulled wrote:It sounds as though MIDI Note Off isn't coming through,
Just a quick reply, more on this later:
Bug confirmed ... looks like an untested change in last minute to save very few bytes. (... got broken in the final stage to 1.5.0 )

Edit/update:
In Midi-mode 'note off' does not work when send as MIDI 'NOTE ON' command with velocity=0. (Which is perfectly OK according to midi specs!)
Seems it had worked, when it is send as MIDI NOTE OFF command. Not sure about that one, because it is already fixed here in my code.
BTW: Handling that "velocity zero is note off" thing properly saved another 20 bytes.

ioth

Post by ioth »

hey nordcore,
thx for the fast fix, I can't test it now, since I have a live show coming up, where I need everything to work (it now does apart from the transposing, which isn't too bad),
but after that I'll give you feedback.

best

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

thanks for the feedback.

please think of current versions as "public beta test", I'll release the next one in a few days.

It will contain: Tap tempo, Bank/Pattern select on MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE (already done) and MIDI continue with SPP. The last one being the trickiest (working on that). Leading to another cool feature: use RUN/STOP key to START and STOP in sync with the downbeat, including all units "downstream" (=which are connected to sync outputs of the x0xb0x).

ioth

Post by ioth »

wow that start/stop in sync with the downbeat is a feature I'm craving for a long time (regarding all hardware machines I own)

juke179r

Post by juke179r »

Thanks for the update Nordcore! Cheers!

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Nordcore wrote:Leading to another cool feature: use RUN/STOP key to START and STOP in sync with the downbeat, including all units "downstream" (=which are connected to sync outputs of the x0xb0x).
That's cool.. Sounds like the "delayed start/stop" feature that n0nx0x2 has (in other devices implemented as "latch" mode or "mungo sync".

Have you thought about making a x0xlarge compatible version of the source code? It should be quite straight forward if you have a look at a diff from guest's port..
I've been meaning to have a look at it myself since you opensourced it, but haven't found the time.

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Yes, "Mungo sync" is similar to what I did with a lightweight / simple black box (Y.A.M.A ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuhi3mffvl0uk2z/YAMA.mov ) some time ago ... and that is what I'm going to integrate in the x0xb0x.

Actually I develop that thing on a x0xlarge, as it has the debugger pins accessible and I have no size restrictions.
So the source is already fully x0xlarge compatible.
And of course there will be a x0xlarge version as soon as I have either a user needing it or a version which might live longer than to the next weekend.
(Btw: I already spotted the "other firmware for x0xlarge" ( https://www.rv0.be/other/x0xb0x/x0xlarg ... e-firmware ) web page ... )

rv0

Post by rv0 »

YAMA = Yet Another Mungo Attempt? :)

That's great to hear you develop on the x0xlarge, I was not aware of that.

ioth

Post by ioth »

Hey Nordcore,

I've got another suggestion: When I put a new note in a sequence, when the step was a rest before,
it defaults the note to the lowest octave.
That's a bit wacky, because normally I'd want my new notes to be in the normal octave (no leds lit)

Just a suggestion, keep up the great work

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

ioth, confirmed as bug - it should be like you suggested. At least the comment stated that.
It was that way, once upon a time ... as it is in the stock firmware and Sokkos. And I have no clue, when and why it got un/intentionally changed.
Fixed.

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

I was asked about the "delete Pattern" function.
Can't remember when or why it was deleted, it is not that much code size.
But it is in fact gone in MarOs - but is there in Sokkos.

Anybody using it? Is it really needed?

My general rule is to have the same functions as Sokkos has, so i'll try to squeeze it in.
(Only exception is "track mode" which is missing completely.. )

ioth

Post by ioth »

hey nordcore,
I never used the pattern delete function, my way to "delete" patterns is 2 times undo(mar os). Wouldn't say it's necessary, but would still be cool to have.
One other function that I feel is missing, is the ability to restart a pattern in play mode, in sokkos this was chain + prev.
And could you maybe upload the version with the bugfix I mentioned before? (default low octave) If it's ready, that would be suuper awesome :)

thanks

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Ok, here it is, the next version.
  • MIDI_PROGCHANGE selects bank and pattern (as in sokkos 2) (untested)
  • fixed NOTE OFF in Midi mode not working when send as NOTE ON with velocity zero
  • Bank LED (@ Midi channel #) short flash on start up removed.
  • Help LEDs only on when steps are shown, not @ bank/midi channel (...)
  • default octave for a new/added note (at pattern end) is middle, not low octave
  • SPP evaluated for MIDI CONTINUE if SETTINGS1_CONTINUESTART is off , uses current pattern length for wrapping.
    (NOT the whole chain, which would be the right solution)
  • in "Pattern Play Mode" during run: CHAIN+PREV starts pattern from beginning
Edit: Version removed because it is outdated. See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33914&start=300#p587321 for latest version!
Last edited by Nordcore on Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ioth

Post by ioth »

Dude, you rock!
I mean, commercial companies sometimes take months to
fix a bug, you didn't even need a week!
thx again, without mar os my live performance wouldn't be the same. :)
Letting you know if I encounter any more bugs.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

yeah, massive thanks, its much appreciated.

my computer is in bits at the moment and i havent had a chance to fix it and try this. i will really try to get it done this weekend.

all the best

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”