MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Re: MarOS1.2(!!!) new firmware - MORE new features

Post by mario1089 »

Yes, there is something wrong in the documentation: Swing is set by pressing only PREV / NEXT, while CHAIN is not hold. Gate time is set by holding CHAIN and pressing PREV/NEXT. Sorry, I missed to correct that.

If you found it tricky to set up automatic variations, I`d like to know which part was tricky for you, or what I could do to make it better (if I find some precious bytes to do so).

I`m german.

rarara

Post by rarara »

mario1089 wrote:Yes, there is something wrong in the documentation: Swing is set by pressing only PREV / NEXT, while CHAIN is not hold. Gate time is set by holding CHAIN and pressing PREV/NEXT. Sorry, I missed to correct that.
excellent - thanks
mario1089 wrote:If you found it tricky to set up automatic variations, I`d like to know which part was tricky for you
It doesn't make much sense reading the instructions for this function but hopefully will when I have the machine in front of me
mario1089 wrote:I`m german.
No need to apologise :lol:

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

do you mean this one, or the short summary in the change log (that one is, in deed not very well worked out)

5) Automatic (Runtime-) Variation
Unlike the randomizer, which helps creating pattern, this feature does momentary variations while the box is playing. This is the case for any mode. To turn it on or adjust it, go to USER-B mode and press PREV/NEXT or RUN/CHAIN or DOWN/UP or DONE.

- PREV / NEXT: Decrease / Increase probability of the current step being changed to be an accent or no accent.
- RUN / CHAIN: Decrease / Increase probability of the current step being changed to an octave higher (if
possible)
DOWN / UP: Decrease / Increase probability of the current step being changed to be a slide or no-slide.
For any adjustment you see the resulting state on the bank LED. LED 1 means “turned off”; LED 16 means
probabilty is 75%.
Low values are highly recommended. Slide variation can be nice but are pretty invasive...

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I`ve applied some corrections to the documentation...
Attachments
Documentation_MarOS_1.2.zip
(109.74 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

rarara

Post by rarara »

OK, been having a look at this and here are a few observations/questions:

MIDI Sync Mode: this isn't completely clear, but then again I don't have a DAW, just a sequencer but the theory should still hold. When you say "by pressing F#1" is that on the x0xb0x keyboard as well as from a sequencer? What modes is this designed to work in (User-A etc)? Actually that question relates to all functions - any way of outlining exactly what modes each item works in??

Smart Randomizer and New Macro Functions: seems to work well, and gives great scope for variations. i take it though there isn't any easy way to get back to your original (pre-randomised) pattern without selecting another pattern and then selecting back again? Might be better using "Slide Button (“Default”): Defaults the pattern to “da-da-da-da-da-da...”." to reset the pattern to its original?

New Swing: seems to work but not terribly useful as the results were not overly noticeable. Maybe the new depths require a lot of button pressing compared to the old version? My tempo was around 116 - should it be higher to get a more noticeable effect? Might just be my patterns were duff!

Variable Gate Time: works but wasn't able to get anything that sounded 'good' so maybe need to experiment with different types of pattern.

Automatic (Runtime-) Variation: Sounded good, especially in the very low settings as introduced a nice variety. Could this be made available while the pattern is running? Otherwise its a bit clunky going into User-B while things are stopped then going back again to hear any results?

Other than that, keep up the good work :D as this is definately moving things forward, and I'm very grateful.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

MIDI Sync Mode: this isn't completely clear, but then again I don't have a DAW, just a sequencer but the theory should still hold. When you say "by pressing F#1" is that on the x0xb0x keyboard as well as from a sequencer? What modes is this designed to work in (User-A etc)? Actually that question relates to all functions - any way of outlining exactly what modes each item works in??
It works only in MIDI Sync mode - I thought that`s obvious. Any note-press mentioned relate to incoming midi, not to the box`buttons. The entire mode is meant to make the box play the right thing at the right time without touching the box` buttons, controlled from "outside". Can`t say how much sense this makes if it`s not a DAW to control it..

Auto Var is applied in any mode whenever the thing is playing, but to EDIT it you must be in USER_B mode.

Swing and Gate length is also applied in any mode, but to EDIT it you must be in play mode, not in pattern edit mode (buttons are used elsewise there).

Randomizer is available only in pattern edit mode.
Smart Randomizer and New Macro Functions: seems to work well, and gives great scope for variations. i take it though there isn't any easy way to get back to your original (pre-randomised) pattern without selecting another pattern and then selecting back again? Might be better using "Slide Button (“Default”): Defaults the pattern to “da-da-da-da-da-da...”." to reset the pattern to its original?
To go back, go to any other play mode (without having pressed DONE) and then back (same workflow as for any other editing) - But your idea is actually good and reasonable, - I`ll consider it (next update will be usability only).
New Swing: seems to work but not terribly useful as the results were not overly noticeable. Maybe the new depths require a lot of button pressing compared to the old version? My tempo was around 116 - should it be higher to get a more noticeable effect? Might just be my patterns were duff!
The tempo is fine. Press is 2,3 times to get 20%, 30% swing - a subtle swing sometimes used by me. Press it 4,5,6 times to get an obvious swing. Press it 10 times to get straight triplets.
Variable Gate Time: works but wasn't able to get anything that sounded 'good' so maybe need to experiment with different types of pattern.
Typical 303 Acid pattern are better at normal length, no doubt. It`s just perfect what the thing normally does. But I found very cool patterns for shorter gate length, when there is also many longer-than-one-step notes, so the remaining short notes sound like little "ghost notes". Certain other patterns in certain contexts make sense with longer gate times. I have the Env-Mod-Zero mod, so I can create pad-like constant-output patterns, that are just "flat" for example, which I think is cool, and be it just "for the break". Also when running lower tempo, say 80 bpm, having longer gate times also is useful, I think ( I have 2 main projects, and one is, well, ..slow)
Automatic (Runtime-) Variation: Sounded good, especially in the very low settings as introduced a nice variety. Could this be made available while the pattern is running? Otherwise its a bit clunky going into User-B while things are stopped then going back again to hear any results?
Yes, I`m currently thinking about exactly this, working on it. My idea at this point is, that in any play mode the workflow could be like this:
1) Press and Hold the Tempo Knob
2) While holding it select the parameter you want to change (Slide Var Prob., Accent Var. Prob., Octave Var. Prob) by pressing SLIDE, ACC, UP.
3) The box keeps playing - but LED (step/bank etc) don`t light anymore, because now you`re in Adjustment mode for Auto Variation.
4) Now turning the tempo knob increases/ decreases the probabilty of the parameter selected before - and the value is shown on bank LED
5) To change a different parameter press SLIDE, ACC or UP again.
6) To disable all auto var press DONE
7) To leave the mode press the Tempo Knob again

am4d

Post by am4d »

Hey Mario,

Excellent firmware!
One bug I encountered a few times was patterns failing to save: Switching to edit mode while the sequencer is running, edinting, saving, then switching back to pattern mode, the pattern would fail to save and revert back(As if I didn't press save at all) has anyone encountered this?
It seemed to work better when I switched to edit mode while the sequencer was not running. Make sense?

I was going to suggest a way to switch runtime variations on/off while the sequencer is running in pattern mode but your idea in your last post blows that out the water. can't wait.

Appart from that
Swing: Great
Smart randomiser: Great
Runtime Variations: Great
Variable gate time: Excellent
I don't use a daw so the new midi mode isn't for me, but thanks for keeping classic mode.

Also I just quickly knocked up this rough overlay today (edited from the n0nx0x overlay). Its damn ugly but gets the job done for now. Others might find it useful while the firmware is still being actively developed.
Attachments
MarOS 1.2.png
MarOS 1.2.png (39.3 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Yes, mario go on!
The automatic randomizer is great and I'll love the chance to adjust parametes while playing. Great idea to use the the tempo knob, remember that in pattern edit when you press the knob you half the tempo.
My opinion is this feature is not so useful...so you can remove it!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Thanx guys, you make my day!!

Nice layout picture. I`ll include it in the documentation for the next update. I`ll be working on it next week, weekend is already pretty loaded. But the good thing is, I`ve already been byte-hunting during the week, and found 400 of those ever-precious little friends, and that will be enough..

If sokkan reads this: Here you have >150 bytes..

re-shuffling->replace with:
memcpy full pattern to patternCopy[16]
for (i = 0..16)
memcpy(pattern, patternCopy[ shuffletable ], 1); // or simply pattern = patternCopy[ shuffletable ]; ?

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

I have a suggestion for the randomizer.
Instead of pressing CHAIN together with another key, it could be:

1) Press CHAIN to enter the randomizer mode (while you are in PATTERN EDIT mode). The CHAIN led lits up.
2) Press the button to get the desired function (e.g. button A to randomize octave shift).
3) press CHAIN to exit the randomizer mode. The CHAIN led goes dark.

Since often the creation of patterns with the randomizer involves repeatedly pressing more keys, this would greatly facilitate the workflow.
Am I wrong?

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

No, you`re not, good idea, thanx! I`ll give it a try soon. Not 100% sure, but I think it will be easy.
Possibly tomorrow I have the update ready. Adjustments of parameters with tempo encoder already work, big improvement (effectively we now have "the gate length on a knob", since while tweaking the sound nothing makes you leave the adjustment mode).

Cheers,
Mario

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Wow!

Thanks for everyone's hard work on this, it sounds amazing! :)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

puh... that was a long night. things were trickier than expected and needed more bytes, especially for entering/leaving the new adjustment mode / randomizer mode and for the LED`s to be in the right state at any point. Also MIDI sync was hard to keep working while in another operational mode. But looks like I got it right now finally.

I will update the documentation later today and release it then. Heads up for MarOS1.3.

Cheers,
Mario

rarara

Post by rarara »

good stuff. quick question - are the runtime variations output as midi?

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Auto Variations (and other note modifications) on MIDI output: Never checked, but should work. Please report if something is wrong! What could happen is to get hanging notes, when noteOff doesn`t match noteOn (that had been modified). I have tried to look for this not happening, but never checked.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”