SokkOS, new modified firmware
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: SokkOS, new modified firmware

by spdk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 am

tbh id hate those features, unless they were "off" as standard, what i do is always make pattern 8 in any bank blank with 16 steps, so that way it only makes noise when i press a bank i want, maybe you should try this.

As for pattern via midi, its a nice idea but its not really needed is it? i mean half the fun of the x0x is changing patterns manually, at least in my studio it is :D

It would be off as standard, as long as you don't send a midinote to it you can also change pattern on the keyboard of the x0xb0x itself like you are used to. In my studio this feature has more use then ie a pattern of 32 steps. With this feature I can intergrate the x0xb0x in my midisetup and automate it just like my other gear.

Posts: 7 Also if you're going to change patterns via MIDI a more standardized way would be to do it on program change.

Why would you use program change? I'd rather type a midi note instead of drawing cc messages. And you can retrigger a pattern very fast with midinotes for wild/glitchy sequencing, this would be more difficult with program changes.
Last edited by spdk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
spdk

by Sokkan on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:01 am

kroffe wrote:Yes, I agree with julienvoirin: It would be great to be able to save a loop, forwards or backwards converted into a regular pattern.

Also, I'd love to see multiple-note priority when using midimode as a midi>cv/gate converter. Right now, if you hold down a note, press another and releases it again, SokkOS already forgotten the of the first one. :(

At the moment there is 6 bytes free so some more optimization is needed for anything to be added.

Concerning saving loops: a refactoring is needed for the pattern playing code to do this. I just added a start-point and an end-point to the code for the loops instead of just adding one to the current step number. It is simple and short.

Concerning note-priority in MIDI-mode: this also calls for a refactoring of the note playing parts, the x0xb0x was never intended to be more than a monophonic box and there is no way to save previous notes when in MIDI play mode.

Oh, and the MIDI pattern change I thought of, including the ability to transpose by hitting a key. I need to rewrite some stuff to make room for this... It is not happening in the near future.
Sokkan

by spdk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:26 am

Sokkan wrote:
kroffe wrote:Oh, and the MIDI pattern change I thought of, including the ability to transpose by hitting a key. I need to rewrite some stuff to make room for this... It is not happening in the near future.

That's perfect, I can wait. What do you mean with transpose by hitting a key?

Thanks!
spdk

by Sokkan on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:36 am

spdk wrote:That's perfect, I can wait. What do you mean with transpose by hitting a key?

Not happening in the near future could mean that it will not happen at all...

I mean that you use MIDI program change messages to change patterns in a standardized way and you transpose the pattern currently playing by sending a MIDI note to the x0xb0x.
So if I use C3 as the standard "key" you would transpose the pattern up an octave by sending it a C4, or you would change the key of the pattern by sending it an F3.
Sokkan

by spdk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 am

Sounds perfect, I hope this will be implemented. In complex livesetups this also would be a welcome feature.
spdk

by th0mas on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:44 pm

The firmware being full is a major pain. Simple googling tells me there is no Atmega168 pin-compatible device with more than 16kb ROM. That's too bad! The other option I guess is cutting out chunks of code that are used less frequently (such as MIDI play)
th0mas

by Sokkan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 am

th0mas wrote:The firmware being full is a major pain. Simple googling tells me there is no Atmega168 pin-compatible device with more than 16kb ROM. That's too bad! The other option I guess is cutting out chunks of code that are used less frequently (such as MIDI play)

Well, there are still parts that can be refactored to save some more space. The other option is to completely rewrite the pattern play/edit parts and merge them into one chunk, this would be beneficial from other points of view too(except readability...).
Sokkan

by SineSurfer on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 am

julienvoirin wrote:request : i'd like a lot a "magic" trick to reverse the pattern while in edit mode.
my reversed patterns are better than the original ones :shock: so ..
thanks in advance

I agree!, asked for the same feature some pages back though.. I guess it needs more code space than the available now :(

slow workaround:
write down the original pattern notation
play around with the reverse loop until you find a good one
write down the loop points(steps 12-5 for example)
reverse the pattern on the paper/text file
add the new pattern to the x0x

Now, I have 2 ideas(small in code and doable, I hope):

transmit midi restart when chain + prev is used to restart the pattern/loop, not sure if this is something available as MIDI standard but is fun to do it on the electribes.

chain+run/stop button to pause the pattern, chain+ run/stop again to resume playing from the paused step.
x0x 393
SineSurfer

by pauley on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:51 pm

I think I found a bug. When saving a pattern from pattern edit mode while synced to an incoming MIDI clock, it would appear that the SokkOS gets out of sync occasionally. Could this be because SokkOS is blocked writing the pattern to the non-volatile memory? I've also noticed that DIN sync is a bit flakey when synced from MIDI (my 808 was routinely de-syncing). It would be REALLY nice to audit the timing behavior and make sure sync is given the highest priority. I suppose some sort of mode where we could shift the sync would be nice as well (a la innerclock).

*edit* Ha, never mind. I am grabbing 1.8.1 now as it sounds like the edit/sync bug is fixed.

pauley

by daniel on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:01 am

Midi sync was indeed flakey with some random leds blinking.
#19 #125
daniel

by Sokkan on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Okelidokeli,

I just hacked the FW again, it's 1.9 now and the 8th-mode reggae-bug is fixed, I also inserted the CRC-code snippet from oPossum(thanks!) which saved me some space just enough to insert MIDI pattern change. :)
Sokkan

by Sokkan on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Wow, stop flooding the thread with all your happyhappyjoyjoy praises over MIDI pattern change... :)

Has anyone tested it? I only have a Roland D-50 that is actually a MIDI synth besides the x0xb0xes and it can only send patch change one through 64, I would like to get confirmation that it works all the way up to 128.

It would also be great to confirm that c0ntr0l still works(it does for me) and that the half-time bug is a goner. :D
Sokkan

by phono on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:07 am

Sokkan wrote:Wow, stop flooding the thread with all your happyhappyjoyjoy praises over MIDI pattern change... :)

Has anyone tested it? I only have a Roland D-50 that is actually a MIDI synth besides the x0xb0xes and it can only send patch change one through 64, I would like to get confirmation that it works all the way up to 128.

It would also be great to confirm that c0ntr0l still works(it does for me) and that the half-time bug is a goner. :D

afraid i cant do any testing at the moment since im moving house and all my gear is packed up, but soon as im moved ill give it a proper test run 8)
x0x #733 Image SH-101 MC-202 TB-303 TR-606 TR-808 TR-909 MKS-50 Juno-106 A-100 Virus-B E-6400 SX-150 Monotron
phono

by julienvoirin on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 am

your happyhappyjoyjoy praises over MIDI pattern change...
i have just been upgrading to 1.9 and it works very well :) thanks a lot !

So x0xb0x receives Prgm changes but does it transmit them ? Sometimes (i am sequencing and editing with my MPC2500), the x0x doesn't directly play the good pattern (it waits 16 steps to switch). Is it priority to other messages like Clock ? When does it look for a Pgm Chg message ? (a quarter before the new cycle or more ?)

I 'd like the x0x plays pattern 1 (of 128) at 001.01.00, and play Patern2 at 002.01.00, in a 2 bars sequence for example.
How should i program this ?

EDIT : after playing longer : ULTRA BUG : x0x is not ultra responsive to Start msg, often it isn't recognized.
julienvoirin

by rarara on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm

julienvoirin wrote:
your happyhappyjoyjoy praises over MIDI pattern change...
i have just been upgrading to 1.9 and it works very well :) thanks a lot !

So x0xb0x receives Prgm changes but does it transmit them ? Sometimes (i am sequencing and editing with my MPC2500), the x0x doesn't directly play the good pattern (it waits 16 steps to switch). Is it priority to other messages like Clock ? When does it look for a Pgm Chg message ? (a quarter before the new cycle or more ?)

I 'd like the x0x plays pattern 1 (of 128) at 001.01.00, and play Patern2 at 002.01.00, in a 2 bars sequence for example.
How should i program this ?

EDIT : after playing longer : ULTRA BUG : x0x is not ultra responsive to Start msg, often it isn't recognized.

i have found that my 2500 isn't as compatible with my xoxbox as my old 2000xl, but thats mainly when recoding the patterns from the x0x into a track on the mpc. it just seems like its not as solid a midi machine
rarara

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.