SokkOS, new modified firmware

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sokkan

SokkOS, new modified firmware

Post by Sokkan »

I have just hacked fw 1.05 a bit and added some functions, is there somewhere to upload it(with source code) or can anyone host it?

edit: All versions up to 1.7 can be found on glitched's site:

http://www.glitched.org/box.html

1.9.1 is here, the whole package with source:

http://x0xb0x.co.uk/Sokkan/files/SokkOS.zip

and just the hex-file:

http://x0xb0x.co.uk/Sokkan/files/x0xb0x.hex.zip

The functions I added in 1.9(latest):

Tap-tempo moved to tempo knob. (it is removed from the DONE knob)

RAS-buttons in play-mode will only act when kept pressed.

Swing, basically you have 5 levels of swing(shuffle) and you press next and prev in play-mode to increment/decrement the amount of swing.

Save wherever you like. In edit-mode, to save, press DONE, choose location(bank + pattern no), press DONE again. To save in the same location as you are, just press DONE twice.

Loop-mode when playing. Press and hold DONE in play-mode, while pressed, choose your start- and end-point for the loop, the 13 note switches and the three RAS-switches are 1-16 in that order. If you only enter a start and no end, it will be ignored. If the start step is larger than the end step it will loop backwards. If you for example want to loop the whole pattern backwards just press and hold DONE, press S and then press low C, release DONE. The loop will start at the end of the loop/pattern currently playing. You cannot loop outside the pattern length. To exit loop-mode just press and release DONE.

Step-edit when playing in edit-mode(did that make sense...?) When in edit-mode and the sequencer is running, press next and you will enter step-edit but the pattern is still playing. Everything as in normal step-edit but with running sequencer. You will exit the mode by just pressing next past the last step in the sequence.

Pattern rotate forward in edit-mode. Hold PREV and press NEXT to rotate one step forward.

Pattern rotate backwards in edit-mode. Hold NEXT and press PREV to rotate one step backwards.
(This has the annoying quirk that you will enter step-edit mode when pressing the next button...)

Nudge in pattern-play. Hold PREV and press NEXT to skip a step, Hold NEXT and press PREV to stutter a step.

Restart a pattern/loop in pattern play. Just press and hold CHAIN and press PREV to restart the pattern/loop from the first step.

Pattern-edit now outputs MIDI when running.

MIDI rest bug fixed.

Live-edit: Just turn the function knob from any of the play(master, DIN-sync, MIDI-sync) functions to edit and you can edit the currently running pattern and save it where you like. If you stop it and the function knob has changed its position, it will then go to the new function.
(NOTE: you cannot start in edit and go to play when slaving. )

Pressing CHAIN in edit-mode will now re-shuffle the current pattern in a specific way. If you like the shuffle, save it where you like, otherwise just re-shuffle again! The algorithm used is:
[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] -> [7 8 9 12 13 14 15 16 2 3 4 5 6 1 10 11]

Press and hold CHAIN and press the TEMPO knob to completely erase a pattern in edit mode. It will be filled with EOP(end of pattern).

Press the TEMPO knob in edit mode to enter fast edit mode. When you press a note key, rest or change the transposition it will step forward by itself.

(NEW in 1.8 )
Hold DONE and press the TEMPO knob to half the tempo(ie play 8ths) in play mode. This will still keep stuff in sync and it will only affect whole patterns to keep things lined up properly. Same combination to go back to normal mode.

(NEWNEWNEW in 1.9)
MIDI pattern change, woohoo. Just send a MIDI patch change message on the MIDI-in channel and the 'b0x will act as if you pressed the corresponding button and twisted the bank knob.

The random mode is back in, there was space left, but it might get lost again.

BUGS(known...):

Pattern rotate backwards will make you enter step editing mode
(Tough one to fix.)

When hammering away furiously on the RAS-buttons one or more of them will sometimes get locket as if being pressed.

Wish list:

8ths in track play mode.

When saving a pattern, blink a LED if the chosen location is empty.

Saving to a new location with sequencer running and then going back to play mode should change the pattern no playing in play mode too.
(Hmmm, i am not sure about this, gets funny when running chains.)

Show triggered notes in MIDI play mode.

Transpose whole pattern in edit mode with e g PREV+UP, PREV+DOWN.

Transpose via MIDI(C4 = normal, C5 = up one octave etc), this would not affect MIDI play, only pattern play.

All of the functionality of 1.05 is left intact. (There are two notable changes; to save: press DONE + position(optional) + DONE; when turning the function knob and the sequencer is running, it will not stop anymore.) ((There are two not so notable changes also, you cannot anymore fill a pattern with "random" notes and the pattern edit with MIDI-sync in USER A is removed...))
Last edited by Sokkan on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 17 times in total.

ricco

Post by ricco »

Wow, I can't wait to trying those new functions, especially the backwards pattern play trick ! ;)

You may send a PM to Glitched, he may be happy to host the firmware, as he did with the other alternative firmwares for the x0xb0x : http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic ... t=firmware

Many thanks ! ;)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Well, the looping and the step-edit while running is very useful. You can start with an empty pattern and edit while running and just adding steps until you are satisfied. :)

I actually send Glitched an email earlier asking if he could host the firmware. Maybe he could host the source code too as an archive...

ricco

Post by ricco »

Yeah, that sounds great ! :)

Maybe you could host it online on someplace like www.mediafire.com at the moment ? ;)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

cool...can you post a diff?

glitched

Post by glitched »

I will gladly host it at x.glitched.org .

Just send me what you have and I'll put it up there, along with the others.

Thanks!

-d

ps. just sent a reply to your email.

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco »

Wow, this is almost perfect!!

Please add the Pattern Nudge from TrueVC's OS.

other than that, email that badboy to me! elmacaco 'at' hotmail . com

I love you guys!! ;)

resonator

Post by resonator »

^^^^ yeah, "pattern nudge" is a must!

SineSurfer

Post by SineSurfer »

+1 for Pattern Nudge (in both directions if it's posibble) :)

resonator

Post by resonator »

SineSurfer wrote:+1 for Pattern Nudge (in both directions if it's posibble) :)
definitely for both directions. 8)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

elmacaco wrote: Please add the Pattern Nudge from TrueVC's OS.
Hmmm, could someone describe what it does? Or send a relevant
diff or something? I was thinking of adding some sort of nudge to
the PREV/NEXT by holding one and pressing the other but I am not
sure exactly how people want it to work...

I have sent the hex and the source to Glitched in a zip for him to
post on his site. So now you can blame him when you get impatient. :wink:

/F

resonator

Post by resonator »

pattern nudge (pattern rotate) is shifting notes from left to right (and vice versa) while in pattern edit mode.

this is in truvc's firmware (and i believe evilx has it too).

from the release notes in truvc's latest firmware, he states the following...
_ pattern rotate
hold [Chain] and press [Next] or [Prev] to shift the pattern data by one step, forward or backward.
http://glitch.tech.googlepages.com/x0xb ... ruvc13.zip

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

yeah it's in mine...you just move the note counter forward or backward

resonator

Post by resonator »

^^^ there should be enough space for that code, right?
I have currently 164 bytes left to play with.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

evilxsystems wrote:yeah it's in mine...you just move the note counter forward or backward
Yes, that's what I suspected...
The loop-mode makes things a bit more complicated. Firstly nudging when playing backwards might be counterintuitive, secondly, nudging the first or last step in a loop would be weird. It can of course be solved, but I need more code than just a ++ and a -- in appropriate places. I'll look into it by the weekend latest.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”