0
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 pm

afaik == "as far as i know"
i have a yocto, but my advise would be to check the forums, specs, videos, and do your research
because typically the hardware (PCBs, BOMs, kits) gets sorted out first, while the firmware tends to get sorted "later" or "more later" .. (or never)
this is nothing new, the x0xb0x is also left with half-finished firmware (probably due to lack of space on the cpu) but since the project is opensource it's easy (in theory, but took more than 2 years) to upgrade the CPU and get a "better" firmware (by the community)
will this happen with the yocto? probably
but when?

both my x0xb0xes came with BA6110, and i recently got the BA662 "clown"
i sticked it in one of the x0xb0xes and, as i expected - i don't hear a difference
Note: you must remove transistors Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 if you use the BA662, or put them in if you use the BA6110

we can be reached on IRC too: irc.freenode.net > #x0xb0x

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Kevin at subatocglue.com has an interesting article about the BA662 and the BA661 with comparisons and has he admits it is nothing definitive or greatly scientific but you can notice a very, very slight difference sonically with a spectrum analyzer, again not a real spectrum analyzer with British Naval Connections and mono jacks just via some kind of soft synth or Soundforge. As you say visually its ever so slight and sonically is barely descernable to the ear and then I wonder if it is a sort of placebo effect or more of convincing yourself that it should sound better because it is being faithfull to the original. When I said about good caps I actually meant that some of the 303's components where sanyo but after reading one thread by an individual who had worked on quite a few 303's said that differnt revisions of the box used different makes of components so that isnt the case. What I was supposed to say without going of on tangents which I always do, is Sanyo are a relatively good make whereas the make of the caps in my kit are Leylon or Leylom which is bottom dollar gear and I thought choosing a better make just might give longer life and better reliablity.
I believe some people have deliberately chosen different valuue components for the power supply to create the lag that the original had and like you said even the power supply (Wall wart) is perhaps to high spec and giving too much power for the unit.
Did you choose to muddy up, so to speak, the power supply (i.o board) to create the lag effect or just leave it as it was originally designed.
I think one mod I will do, well its not a mod, is switch out the pots for the Panasonics on rvo's site, as they will be a little more reliable one hopes. They are way cheaper in Mouser or one of the big sites but you have to pay £12.00 postage which is a real p*ss take I think yet RS its free minus a handling fee. Its also good to support Wim and Anton in their endevours because they keep the dream alive and are an invaluable source of information, as our yourself.I'm guessing your Mr Savov anyway are you.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 pm

Photo gone thank god
Last edited by kid303 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:28 am

Forgot to ask what the Yocto is like. Has the firmware been sorted out as you said. The demo from elicktric looks good that is of the Yocto2 with the Boss PC-2 drum synth added but I guess you would frown on that possibly as being a mod or dont you mind that addition.
I dont know if it was the quality of the recording but the Nava seemed to really lack that 909 ooomph of the original and I wasnt impressed at all, the snares and cymbals sounded bang on and for those reasons I would like to have one but the kick seemed like a wet fart rather than a smack across the face with a peice of wood. The Yocto2 though, Damn I've never heard an 808 with that much clout, I know its famous for its accent slide sounding dip kind of drum sound which kicks as* but that Yocto seems to have dragged a little something else out of the kit. The trouble is that by the time I save up for a kit there wont be any parts to source or something and from what ive read on the forum everyone didnt seem to happy with the guy who was getting the encloseures together. I know erica synths do the Nava enclosures and soon to do the Yocto2's just like they do the LXR enclosures. Thats an interesting project which I was going to do but I'm going through a snobby analogue stage which is kinda anoying myself because I love sounds in general regardless of how they have been made and after processing and various other processes by the time they have been placed in a track unless its obviously a Moog sound its not always easy to tell if its digital or analogue, unless its obviously FM or something. Tubeohm have carried on the mutable instruments mantle for the Tubika (Ambika) and the Phoenix (Shruthi), I dare say you prrobably have one of them but I'm a real late comer to the diy thing and have missed the boat with a lot of these projects but the ambika is a surprisingly analoguey (thats not even a word but you catch my drift) sound in that it seems to have a presents and warmth to some of the strings and other sounds I've heard, again compressed to hell and degraded through youtube but never the less I was able to get an impression. I heard one of those projects on youtube, not sure which but the filter was horrible with digital like aliasing, I think thats the word, where when turned slowly you can hear stepping as if it wasnt a smooth gradual taper like some oher vco's or dco's. I know its a digital synth but I thought the filter was analogue, anyway it works out about £600 for all the voices and everything for the ambika which is a bit too much for my taste as I'm not that impressed with it to lash out that much, not that it isnt worth that much its just my taste. I liked the anushri with cv connections, oh that was the one some guy on youtube spends ages going through the features and as soon as i heard the stepping as he slowly dialed in the filter I switched off I totaly lost interest in it then I cant see how that can be implemented on a drone or anything. Anyway as usual I digress and wander off on tangents, (tell I dont talk to anyone much :) . Do you have a Modular system in a case or any other synths, I'm personally really looking forward to the Behringer Model D, regardless of the ethics of the thing i.e Moog purist, the thing is an incredible project and for $299 is quite affrdable, the sound is amazing. I've always love the Moog sound and to be able to obtain that sound with a true hands on analogue approach and not an emulation is a dream come true.
Oh I've just reemebered do you know Lars Ohgren, sorry I cant find an umlout on my english layout keyboard on a mac, because when I was corresponding with him about getting the xoxlarge he said something about having to contact Anton to get him to put a positive accent out on one of the pins, what does that mean. Is that for modular interaction and is the cv and gate jacks on the rear of the xoxbox for interaction with modular synths.
What effects do you feed the xoxbox through and do you have any preferences as to digital or analogue ones. Obviously a good distortion and reverb and delay are a must for some of the classic acid sounds. Good effects really open the transistor bassline to a whole other level I think, dry signals have there place to ofcoarse.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 pm

kid303 wrote: When I said about good caps I actually meant that some of the 303's components where sanyo but after reading one thread by an individual who had worked on quite a few 303's said that differnt revisions of the box used different makes of components so that isnt the case. What I was supposed to say without going of on tangents which I always do, is Sanyo are a relatively good make whereas the make of the caps in my kit are Leylon or Leylom which is bottom dollar gear and I thought choosing a better make just might give longer life and better reliablity.

many of the electrolytic capacitors, especially those with bigger values (10uF and up) are used as reservoir caps, and also, they should last long, most of them are with a 16V rating and the analog circuit runs on 12V max, so those caps are not being "pushed" hard
IMO you should spend more attention at the potentiometers (because replacing potentiometers is difficult, so it's best to prevent this from happening often), and the LEDs, because "proper" LEDs are hard to find, you really want diffused LEDs with a big viewing angle, and you don't want them uber bright (that's a matter of choosing the values for the current-limiting resistors for the LEDs)

I believe some people have deliberately chosen different valuue components for the power supply to create the lag that the original had and like you said even the power supply (Wall wart) is perhaps to high spec and giving too much power for the unit.
Did you choose to muddy up, so to speak, the power supply (i.o board) to create the lag effect or just leave it as it was originally designed.

lots of people have experimented with their x0xb0xes, including the power supply
i personally don't think there is anything in the power supply which significantly affects the sound in a positive way, but this seems to be a highly debated issue

I'm guessing your Mr Savov anyway are you.

yup

kid303 wrote:Forgot to ask what the Yocto is like. Has the firmware been sorted out as you said. The demo from elicktric looks good that is of the Yocto2 with the Boss PC-2 drum synth added but I guess you would frown on that possibly as being a mod or dont you mind that addition.

the Yocto firmware is kinda abandoned and left in the hands of the users (same as the x0xb0x, except the yocto source code is written with arduino (silly) and with all french comments (and i don't speak french))
i'm not so familiar with the Yocto2 and Nava
afaik, the Yocto2 is a modified 808 with individual accents, and some extras, thus it would operate (from the sequencer point of view) more similar to the 909 (Nava) than the normal 808, which has global accent
i bet this was done so that pretty much the same firmware/sequencer (or at least large portions of it) can be directly used for both drum machines, to simplify the developement
i'm not following the Yocto2/Nava projects or what's happening with them closely, so you'd better spend some time and read what's going on in their subforums on the e-licktronic forum.. or ask someone who has one of those and up to date with the events

Do you have a Modular system in a case or any other synths, I'm personally really looking forward to the Behringer Model D, regardless of the ethics of the thing i.e Moog purist, the thing is an incredible project and for $299 is quite affrdable, the sound is amazing. I've always love the Moog sound and to be able to obtain that sound with a true hands on analogue approach and not an emulation is a dream come true.

no, no modular
i have two x0xb0xes, a Yocto, a Korg ES-1 mk1, and a Boss DR-220E
besides that i use a few plugins, some of which my own

Oh I've just reemebered do you know Lars Ohgren, sorry I cant find an umlout on my english layout keyboard on a mac, because when I was corresponding with him about getting the xoxlarge he said something about having to contact Anton to get him to put a positive accent out on one of the pins, what does that mean. Is that for modular interaction and is the cv and gate jacks on the rear of the xoxbox for interaction with modular synths.

i guess since the Accent control signal from the sequencer is with inverted logic (high means off, low means on)
but this could be inverted with an inverting logic buffer too
yes, the CV/Gate jacks on the x0xb0x are outputs from the synth, iirc Gate is 12V while the (pitch) CV is 1V/Oct

What effects do you feed the xoxbox through and do you have any preferences as to digital or analogue ones. Obviously a good distortion and reverb and delay are a must for some of the classic acid sounds. Good effects really open the transistor bassline to a whole other level I think, dry signals have there place to ofcoarse.

with distortions/compressors or anything that amplifies the signal, you have to be careful about noise
i pretty much don't have analog/hardware effects boxes, so i use plugins
but if the recording is noisy enough, this could cause problems after strong amplification, so in that case i might simply use a software 303 with distortion (where the noise level practically isn't an issue)
i like feedback delay lines which have filters (lowpass and highpass) in the feedback path, one such example is karmafx deelay, for reverb i use Dust Abstract Chamber

technically i can route audio into the Korg ES-1, which can even act as a distortion (since the input can be switched to "mic" and there's a Gain knob which can then be pushed quite far)
then, the ES-1 has a few FX, including a feedback delay line which is tempo-sync'ed and has a nifty Dry/Wet mix knob which seems optimized for perfomance tweaking
but one of my problems is i actually have just two audio input channels on the soundcard, while ideally i would like to record the drums, and the two x0xb0xes on sepparate channels so that i can then process the sepparately
on the other hand, my most "sucessiful" tracks are mostly done in software

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Which 303 emulations do use or prefer, I like pretty much all of D16's plugins and obviously Phoscyon being their 303 software version, I also like that it doesnt try to look like the front panel of a 303 because it has so many more features and therefor a synth in its own right. Abls version Abl3 or something I think its called isnt too bad I guess. I made the unfortunate mistake of getting the Tb-3 with the touch screen and I've used it for about five minutes and let it gather dust in a draw, it just left me cold and I couldnt connect with it but I guess I didnt give it enough time perhaps, it just lokks and feels extremely tacky. The only redeeming feature I guess is that it can create un 303ish, almost synthy pad like sounds which is ok I guess. The Analogue Circuit Behavior chips Roland use in the boutiques are quite impressive as DSPing goes for a relatively affordable price. I've not really heard the 303 boutique but the 909 side by side comparison with its full blood older brother doesnt sound too bad, they really have done a lot of work to make the chips sound as close as poss and they have to run with it now and I know there is a lot of controversy about wheather Roland should re-hash some of their analogue gear but like I said they have made a bed for them selves with the ACB technology but maybe they will heed the interest for analogue equipment again and create something new. They managed to create an analogue piece with Studio Electronics with the SE-02 which did nothing for me oddly, I thought I would dig it but as I said in an early rant that I'm looking forward the Behringer Model D. The sound comparisons that synthpro did was extremely impressive, sound wise and the level of detail synthpro put into the comparison, wise.
So yeah Roland is obviously more than capable of making some incredible instruments, accidents (refering to the 303) or not, so it will be interesting to watch this space when it comes to what they might come up with in the future if they feel a little threatened with the young bucks nibbling at their heels with cheap well built instruments. I think quite a few companies eyes might of been opened with the introduction of the B model D an hopfully start a building cheap innovative instruments. whatever people have to say negatively about these things it can only be a good thing for the consumer getting access to good instruments at very affordable prices. Sweetwater alone had about $6 million worth and had to close the pre-order forms down so I think within the first six months of production Behringer will make a mint, I think thats why they have delayed the release date by at least 3 months A. to make sure its completely right and B. because they know that they need a lot of stock because they will sell a lot of units, some to people who will just get one for the hell of it because they can afford one just to check it out and shuv it in their euro rack possibly or chain six together and have a six voice poly kid of Moog sound, who knows, all I know is bring on the synth wars. Im all up for an analogue synth for a hundred quid because competion has brought the prices down so much. I'm joking obviously but gaining access to good equipment for a good price is a winner as far as I'm concerned.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:26 am

kid303 wrote:Which 303 emulations do use or prefer, I like pretty much all of D16's plugins and obviously Phoscyon being their 303 software version, I also like that it doesnt try to look like the front panel of a 303 because it has so many more features and therefor a synth in its own right. Abls version Abl3 or something I think its called isnt too bad I guess. I made the unfortunate mistake of getting the Tb-3 with the touch screen and I've used it for about five minutes and let it gather dust in a draw, it just left me cold and I couldnt connect with it but I guess I didnt give it enough time perhaps, it just lokks and feels extremely tacky.

i use vb303, vb404 (which is not released, and resembles a sort-of 303 with a pile of extra features, comparable to the Avalon), and ABL

The only redeeming feature I guess is that it can create un 303ish, almost synthy pad like sounds which is ok I guess. The Analogue Circuit Behavior chips Roland use in the boutiques are quite impressive as DSPing goes for a relatively affordable price. I've not really heard the 303 boutique but the 909 side by side comparison with its full blood older brother doesnt sound too bad, they really have done a lot of work to make the chips sound as close as poss and they have to run with it now and I know there is a lot of controversy about wheather Roland should re-hash some of their analogue gear but like I said they have made a bed for them selves with the ACB technology but maybe they will heed the interest for analogue equipment again and create something new.

this ACB thing is (IMO) just a marketing term and/or a generic name for their attempt to make a bigger (than before) effort to emulate the given synthesizers
but then comes the marketing and makes most people believe that ACB is some black magic where they stuff the 303 schematic into <something> and it results in realtime circuit simulation of the 303
the TB-3, as a 303 emulation is decent, except for a few major flaws: the accent (this could in theory be fixed with a firmware update), and the lack of tone control knobs
the TB-03 fixes that second flaw by being concentrated on the 303 only, with no other silly sounds, and gives you all of the knobs and controls you need for 303 tweakage, however, the first issue is still there

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:05 pm

I thought I recognised the name VB303, its the one on your site, of course!.
do you have any plans to release the updates and in a mac version.
Also, forgive me for asking and I hope you dont think its cheeky of me but would it be possible to have the design files for the nOnxOx files so I could lay them out on a larger panel that would fit an aluminium case as I'm not a great fan of the abs case.
I know and can appreciate that the xoxbox is what it is and should accept that fact but I think, and this is just my personal opinion, that the alu. cases look rather smart and 303ish without looking too tacky and 1 to 1 copyish.
Oh and by the way I just thought I would reiterate that if I did have your permission to use the nOnxOx design on a larger format faceplate that it would be a personal project and I would in no way what so ever use it commercially to earn etc. God knows I'm not even sure I would even be able to transfer the info or image onto anything else anyway never mind have the where with all to pull off anything of that nature.
Just thought I would mention that because there are people who wouldnt even consider the feeling of the original designer when ripping ideas off.
You never gave your opinion about the Behringer Model D clone or whatever you want to call it, I think its quite exiting as I ranted about for ages in an earlier post.
I can kind of get this chatting via a computer business, it can be informative, which is the main reason i enjoy and have learnt a great deal from the World Wide Web.
Oh just remembered I wanted to ask you before what your thoughts were about the Sonic Potions, LXR drum Synth.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 pm

kid303 wrote:I thought I recognised the name VB303, its the one on your site, of course!.
do you have any plans to release the updates and in a mac version.

nope, that's not gonna happen

Also, forgive me for asking and I hope you dont think its cheeky of me but would it be possible to have the design files for the nOnxOx files so I could lay them out on a larger panel that would fit an aluminium case as I'm not a great fan of the abs case.
I know and can appreciate that the xoxbox is what it is and should accept that fact but I think, and this is just my personal opinion, that the alu. cases look rather smart and 303ish without looking too tacky and 1 to 1 copyish.
Oh and by the way I just thought I would reiterate that if I did have your permission to use the nOnxOx design on a larger format faceplate that it would be a personal project and I would in no way what so ever use it commercially to earn etc. God knows I'm not even sure I would even be able to transfer the info or image onto anything else anyway never mind have the where with all to pull off anything of that nature.
Just thought I would mention that because there are people who wouldnt even consider the feeling of the original designer when ripping ideas off.

they're here: http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/n0nx0x2.html#panel (.dxf with the cutouts, and .ai vector files with the graphics)
you are free to make a custom front panel for your x0xb0x
in fact, you are free to make custom anything (rear panel, the whole case, etc)
most (if not all) of the x0xb0x is under MIT license
you can make a bunch and sell them as long as you don't claim you designed the whole thing, and inform the buyers who designed the x0xb0x (adafruit/ladyada)
you can claim you created a custom panel/case, but not the x0xb0x itself, obviously

You never gave your opinion about the Behringer Model D clone or whatever you want to call it, I think its quite exiting as I ranted about for ages in an earlier post.

i'm not familiar with the behringer model D, i'm also not interested in moog synths, modulars, etc..
in other words, my interests in synthesizers is narrow, and i also can't afford to own hardware synths, so if i want something bad - i do it myself (example: i want jp8000 supersaws - i make my own softsynth with those properties, not pretending to be accurate to the original of course)

I can kind of get this chatting via a computer business, it can be informative, which is the main reason i enjoy and have learnt a great deal from the World Wide Web.

this is actually a forum, and the topic is technically about the n0nx0x firmware
there is a more suitable place for our conversation - IRC - the real "chat"
irc.freenode.net > #x0xb0x

Oh just remembered I wanted to ask you before what your thoughts were about the Sonic Potions, LXR drum Synth.

i'm not interested
to me it's interesting to develop sequencers.. i've made a few (n0nx0x2 amongst them)
i've even done a drum sequencer (generating MIDI notes) with individual accents, as an experiment in the x0xb0x:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1r1ZjUlZfQ
so picking up something that has a sequencer is not easy, because it may dissapoint me, like my korg ES-1, or the yocto
i can do a better sequencer than that, but while technically the yocto is fixable - the ES-1 not so easy

so i prefer to have a few devices which "work" according to my expectations, instead of having many devices which "sorta" work in "some scenarios"

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

I thought the JP 8000 was a rack unit, I think I thought the MKS-80 Super Jupiter was the JP 8000, perhaps because of the "J" and the "Super", I've no idea why. I bet the MKS-80 is a beast of a thing.
I tried to find the link to the freenode site via either your site or rvo's but it kept saying it couldnt find it. I didnt quite know what the hell I was doing either which obviously didnt help. I've never used a site like that before, it looks almost like how I invisioned the early days of the net to be, as I said I copted in the name verbatum from Wims site but no go, dont know why.
Sorry for taking the conversation away from the intended topic, this is new to me, chatting via script, it is something that has never interested me until now and using the net is one big encyclopedia to me anyway so it seems fitting to ask questions about the xOxbOx I'm about to build, also with whom the nOnxOx2 would not of been refined but the Creator himself, (ALL HAIL).
I really appreciate the time you have taken to talk with me, all be it off topic, about the building of the xOxbOx and the Operational software.
Not sure if I asked as to if you have plans to release the updates you said you were working on.
Was that a no to a Mac version the Virtual Bass software or no to a release of the more recent versions of the program full stop.
Let me know how to track you guys down on that irc page because I just couldnt get it right.
Do you have a Molex type plug to attatch the main board to the io board rather than soldering direct to the board. If it is you in the video tutorial of how to install the xOxlarge correctly, could ypou tell me which part because the oe that came with the kit is supposed to be placed onto the io board. Like I said the plug right next to where the xOxlarge goes looks different to the one I have. Wiillzyx says that the case will not close properly if the plug is placed there. I just need to know which one it is please.
Thank you
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:09 pm

kid303 wrote:I thought the JP 8000 was a rack unit, I think I thought the MKS-80 Super Jupiter was the JP 8000, perhaps because of the "J" and the "Super", I've no idea why. I bet the MKS-80 is a beast of a thing.

JP8080 is the rack version, JP8000 is the keyboard version.. the two may have some other slight differences, i don't know.. but the most important (to me) things are all there
I tried to find the link to the freenode site via either your site or rvo's but it kept saying it couldnt find it. I didnt quite know what the hell I was doing either which obviously didnt help. I've never used a site like that before, it looks almost like how I invisioned the early days of the net to be, as I said I copted in the name verbatum from Wims site but no go, dont know why.

it's not a website, it's an IRC server
to connect, you need an IRC client (there are a bunch available, like mIRC, hexchat, konversation, irssi, etc..), alternatively there are also web-based clients (freenode has its own web-based client too: http://webchat.freenode.net/ ... type #x0xb0x for the channel)

Not sure if I asked as to if you have plans to release the updates you said you were working on.
Was that a no to a Mac version the Virtual Bass software or no to a release of the more recent versions of the program full stop.

vb303 is made with the oldest possible version of SynthEdit (save-as-VST), and its oldest SDK, so neither an osx version nor a 64bit version will gonna happen even if i wanted to.. and i don't want to either

Do you have a Molex type plug to attatch the main board to the io board rather than soldering direct to the board. If it is you in the video tutorial of how to install the xOxlarge correctly, could ypou tell me which part because the oe that came with the kit is supposed to be placed onto the io board. Like I said the plug right next to where the xOxlarge goes looks different to the one I have. Wiillzyx says that the case will not close properly if the plug is placed there. I just need to know which one it is please.
Thank you

the video was made by pulsar256
otherwise here's my (2nd) x0xb0x:

Image

it's from a willzyx kit, and it came with molex KK connectors and red+black cables
in my case, all connectors are on the mainboard except for J3 which is on the IO board, thus there are just the 10 cables soldered near the CPU socket, the case closes fine
i strongly suggest using connectors, so you can disconnect the cables between the two boards when you need to work on it.. with firmly soldered cables on both ends - they will start to tear apart like on my first x0x:

Image

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm

My kit was from Willzyx to but he states that molex kk connectors dont enable easy closeure of the case but if your saying that its possible to do so with connectors connected then great.
In the xOxlarge installation video by pulsar256 he clearly has some kind of molex connector, kk you say only the one that came with my kit looks far more basic than pulsar256's one.Its hard to explain but they sure look different, i dont just mean colour but construction or why else would Adafruit and Willzyx mention not to use them on the main board only the io board. Kevin at @ subatomicglue.com in his blog says that he had to even trim his molex down in order for the lid to fit. Perhaps they were a different kind back then.
I registered at that freenode.net and typed in the link on rvo's site but nothing, even typed in #xoxbox and everything.
Agh maybe I didnt use the capitals in the middle of the word because i even asked for help and the admin said they werent registered or something. As I said I'd never seen anything like that before and couldnt make head nor tail of it. I gathered it was some kind of text thing for communication purposes only but there again if you want to just communicate with someone, there it is no frills or icing, I like it but had nothing to ask or say at the time anyway.
Have you refined the yocto firmware for your own device then, I'm guessing yes if you use it and would therefor make the user experience as fluid and as comprehensive as possible.
Did you mention that the Yocto has an arduino in the programming somewhere,it seems that a lot of the elicktroniks stuff is arduino based. I like the Ableton scene laucher thing rather like the launchpad but with pots for effects tweaking etc, its quite a niffty and affordable little piece of kit and I dare say could be used as a sequencer perhaps.
I was just looking up the es-1 and it was released about the same time as the mc505 I have and they use similar (im guessing) memory cards, the big 4mb ones which are rediculously expensive to replace. I keep forgeting I have still got that, its tucked away in a box because I loaned it to a friend for a while when i was moving house due to the lack of space but when i came to ask for it back it was in a hell of a state, it looked as if it had been used to prop up something heavy. The box was missing a few pots had been broken and the memory ccard was gone. Deep down I was fruious but didnt want it coming between friends because it is a piece of equipment and not a life so to speek but i guess i should of shouted and demand money to fix which he offered to but i refused, (shouldnt of). We no longer see each other now because i slowly just stopped calling him. The thing was immacukate when i left it with him, i still to this day cant fathom what the hell happened to it. I was convinced he sold it, as they were worth about £300 or so in 2010, and just got a cheap one in its place. The card alone was going for £100, I just dont get people sometimes which is why i keep myself to myself most of the time. I should fix her up really, for one reason is its sad to see equipment looking sad and neglected and although I never really fell in love the, (groovebox as they called it), thing it has some ok effects and other things. It has the same synth engine as the JV-1080, so its okish as a modelling synth goes but I think quite a bit of the sounds are samples, im not too sure about that.
Again with the wandering off subject, do forgive me my mind drifts off on tangents so many apple ogggys.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:47 pm

kid303 wrote:My kit was from Willzyx to but he states that molex kk connectors dont enable easy closeure of the case but if your saying that its possible to do so with connectors connected then great.
In the xOxlarge installation video by pulsar256 he clearly has some kind of molex connector, kk you say only the one that came with my kit looks far more basic than pulsar256's one.Its hard to explain but they sure look different, i dont just mean colour but construction or why else would Adafruit and Willzyx mention not to use them on the main board only the io board. Kevin at @ subatomicglue.com in his blog says that he had to even trim his molex down in order for the lid to fit. Perhaps they were a different kind back then.

here's my old x0x
the only thing that collides in my case is J5 (that's on the right side in the corner) with the body of the ON/OFF switch
now, my rear panel is "custom" .. i added that rectangular hole for the ON/OFF switch myself
other kits may have a different kind of switch, at a different location, the stock x0xb0x doesn't have an ON/OFF switch at all (mine didn't have either)
in the video, the case doesn't fully close because i have some crocodile cables going out, otherwise it closes just fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YcPRIorsw

anyways, it doesn't really matter what i say.. you should check what you got in your kit and test it
the only real problems could come from J5 and J6 which are along the top edge of the mainboard and thus may (in theory) collide with something on the IO board
but this is only valid for the standard pactec case
if i were you, i'd just solder it, if it doesn't close - i'll desolder it and figure out something else

I registered at that freenode.net and typed in the link on rvo's site but nothing, even typed in #xoxbox and everything.
Agh maybe I didnt use the capitals in the middle of the word because i even asked for help and the admin said they werent registered or something. As I said I'd never seen anything like that before and couldnt make head nor tail of it. I gathered it was some kind of text thing for communication purposes only but there again if you want to just communicate with someone, there it is no frills or icing, I like it but had nothing to ask or say at the time anyway.

btw, x0xb0x is spelled with two zeros, not capital Os ... same goes for n0nx0x
the channel is #x0xb0x (just copy/paste it from here)

Have you refined the yocto firmware for your own device then, I'm guessing yes if you use it and would therefor make the user experience as fluid and as comprehensive as possible.

no, i haven't... i'm just using it (and i'm not very happy)

Did you mention that the Yocto has an arduino in the programming somewhere,it seems that a lot of the elicktroniks stuff is arduino based.

yes, its firmware is written with arduino shizzle, and as if that's not nasty enough - the comments in the code are in french
and the bootloader works only via MIDI sysex (aka slow and unidirectional, no error detection on the transmitting side)
so, it's all quite discouraging
but it can be pimped up.. the bootloader can be changed (i could adapt x0xb00t2.1 perhaps), and then the existing arduino shizzle firmware goes in the garbage
but this will require lots of time which i don't have
and then, there is a bit more discouragement in that the yocto doesn't have a decent amount of buttons, so no matter how big plans i have for a drum sequencer, i will hit a brickwall very soon when i run out of buttons and button combos
so it's kinda "meh" for now

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: n0nx0x2

by kid303 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:13 pm

I dont think I was specific when I spoke before, I was refering to J5 in the corner and its interesting you say about the on/off switch because I've just got the same one.
I've just been able to connnect to the freenode site now so thnks for that and the video you posted I've just watched it.
I really like the look and sound of the Yocto but I'm a little put off now. So is the Yocto useable or is it full of bugs or something or is it that youre not able to do as much with it software wise.
Can you do with it what you can with an origial 808 thats what I'm mainly bothered about. You could only do so much with an 808 anyway what are you wanted it to do glitchy dub step or something. :) only kiddin
I' more inclined now towards building a Modular system with totally hand built modules from the Moog format, well MFOS and YUSYNTH prely because they are pretty much faithfull re-creations of yester year modules and some quite original ones. I'm more interested in achieving a hand built system rather then bying Eurorack modules. Each to their own I say and I'm not kocking Eurorack at all maybe way down the line I ,
may build some eurorack to but i love the look and sound of those huge systems of yester year. For the price of some of these Eurorack modules alone I could build quite a few of the Music From Outta Space or YuSynth modules, I couldnt believe how cheap some of them actually are and hats off to some of the shops that sell the circuit boards and components should you require them for really good prices and not being too greedy and charging the earth for them.

After watching the video of the inside of your x0x I watched one with your Yocto and it seems like youhad what can only be described as touch knobs on the tom drum section, very odd, I'm assuming you sorted the problem out.
kid303
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

Re: n0nx0x2

by antto on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:08 pm

kid303 wrote:I dont think I was specific when I spoke before, I was refering to J5 in the corner and its interesting you say about the on/off switch because I've just got the same one.

but still, the location of the on/off switch on the rear panel is most likely different than mine, since i made the rear panel myself
thing is, i could've used a smaller switch, or just positioned it a bit lower and then it would've been clear from J5
again, it's best that you test with what you got
these are my rear panels in fact:
Image

I really like the look and sound of the Yocto but I'm a little put off now. So is the Yocto useable or is it full of bugs or something or is it that youre not able to do as much with it software wise.
Can you do with it what you can with an origial 808 thats what I'm mainly bothered about. You could only do so much with an 808 anyway what are you wanted it to do glitchy dub step or something. :) only kiddin

the yocto is technically not "unusable" as it is right now

i'm not familiar with the 808 sequencer, but i'd assume that the few things that the 808 has, would work
while the same can't be said for the yocto
just like the x0xb0x, it has 3 sync modes (master (internal sync), dinsync-slaved, midisync-slaved) and pretty much only one of them works (master)
the 16 step buttons lack debouncing and it's annoying
but it can be used.. you can program patterns, and then you can use the yocto as master (and slave your other grooveboxes to it) and record a track
but it could've been better
i'm not talking about dub step or anything exotic, i'm talking about simple drum patterns.. the issue is mainly poor sequencer implementation (broken sync modes, annoying button handling)

After watching the video of the inside of your x0x I watched one with your Yocto and it seems like youhad what can only be described as touch knobs on the tom drum section, very odd, I'm assuming you sorted the problem out.

that was the very first video i made after i built the yocto, the cowbell trimpots were not properly tuned yet, but everything worked fine... except for the mid-tom/conga tuning potentiometer, which happened to be defective, so i was demonstrating the issue in the video.. i got a replacement and fixed it, also tuned my cowbell and added a few slight mods recently (trimpot for the BD freq and decay, and a longer SD snappy tail)

antto
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.