x0xi0 Mod - Full kit 1st Run Details

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bcbox

Re: x0xi0 Mod - Full kit 1st Run Details

Post by bcbox »

It did go on, but its a very snug fit with some of the switches
yes the cutouts are fairly tight. I haven't had a problem so far but there is potential. If you're careful when installing the switches and pots and make sure the are seated well you shouldn't have a problem. The only problem I've had so far is with a pot that was not seated well, so it was at a very slight angle, so the shaft rubbed against the cutout in the panel. To this point I haven't had to double check the fit before installing the whole kit but that would be a good idea. Before installing the top pcb test fit it to make sure everything lones up good enough withthe panel.

NullSquare

Post by NullSquare »

If this hasn't already been mentioned... The switches and potentiometers sections for the rear PCB parts list at the end of the full kit manual are missing.

Oh... and I don't have any wire ties or the 3.3uF tantalum for the x0xb0x mainboard parts. (Sorry I missed those ones Brian... :( I am a jackass)

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Folks,

does anybody knows what to do with the list of following components? They where stated earlier in the thread to be left out. I can find anything in build manual.

Components:
- c38
- c72
- r162
- r155
- r138
- r119
- c62

I will solder them in, as i cant find anything in the build manual.

/Marco

PS: the list of missing part was not 100% correct. I was missing a long list of different resostors.

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Folks,

next question. In install manual R464 is not staffed. Its not even printed on shematic there.

Whats the value for it?

/Marco

charlie_says

Post by charlie_says »

Ok I've just checked this... R464 - (which I also thought I was missing) is in fact 220 Ohm.

It's in the parts list at the end of the build manual, but doesn't seem to appear in the build instructions.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

I'm building a x0xb0x from scratch, and am trying to minimize desoldering when I'm to the point of adding in the x0xi0 full mod.

In the x0xb0x VCO build section, there are a few resistors and capacitors that I see from the x0xi0 instructions (page 44) that I need to replace with ones with different values, and one resistor that goes in backwards. But it also says to *remove* the toggle switch (S1) and the two trimpots (TM4 and TM5).

If I do that, how will I still be able to test the VCO section per the x0xb0x install instructions?

I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just make the full unmodded x0xbox kit, and then bite the bullet and do all the desoldering...

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

you don't need to install the waveform switch to test the VCO. You can test the VCO waveforms before the switch.
TM4 and TM5 do need to be installed. However if you're worried about desoldering them you can hook up the wires as shown in the x0xi0 install manual and temporarily solder the trimpots to the other end of these wires.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

perfect, thanks Brian

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Folks,

finally got my xoxio assembled. Microcontroller is not working right now. Will bugfix it tonite. It was harder than expected, due to serveral things i was not 100% aware of. I will write down my building hints, I stucked into:

- The Tempo LED is a 3mm ( i installed a 5mm and did not recognized it.. arg)
- The Switches on the xoxio main board should be pushed deep into it. I had clearance problems, due to some missing millimeters, because i did not installed them thight enough
- installing of leds before final cabling seems to be the better way of doing, i done different
- The clearance between the main board and the xoxio main board is very important
- reading the install manual carefully and sort the parts before is a good way for easier installation, unfortunatly Brian was missing some parts in my kit
- double check the values while installing with the part list and the schematics could be helpfull
- dont forget to cut out all wholes in the lexan thing, the wholes for the nuts are necassary. doublechech the led size with the wholes.
- Dont solder (cabling step) with the lexan foil on the board, it can burn little wholes into it (not happend to me but i have tested it before)
- Take care that cables are long enough for debugging steps. if they are to short its very hard to mount / unmount the components. Brian gave enough cable within the kit.
EDIT:
- dont forget to install c38,c72,r162,r155,r138,r119,c62 even they were marked before as non install (in thread)
EDIT END
- take a cup of tea, there are frustrating moments

I hope i will get this thing 100% working soon. Nevertheless i had a lot of frustration moments while installing it, but i think Brian did a excellent work. Even there are missing parts, we could feel honoured, that Brian gives that great gear and his personal dedication to us, to get this installed.

Regards

/Marco

PS: Brian - =) Good work

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Folks,

error fixed. IC7 wrong placed. =) Now it seems to work a bit =) (dont know why sync out not works so far.. but i will figure that out). But i have some more questions.. may be one can help me with it.

So now my questions, may be i use it wrong:

- how do i get rid of the slighty noisy sound if volume vor vco1 and vco2 are turned down?
- how i have to confiure the xoxio that i start with "normal" 303 mode?
- i use headphones. do i hear distorsion effect on headphones? (i dont.. what must i do if its designed to be there?)

/Marco
Last edited by lord.bix on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Hi Marco,
Congratulations on getting so far so fast. It can be frustrating, even for me when I built the first couple.
The Users manual is not done yet, but these are the settings for stock x0xb0x sounds..

Pots:
VCO1 - max
VCO2 - min
Xmod - min
Noise - min
VCO FM - min
Track - min
ENV2 Depth - min
ENV2 VCF Depth - min
VCA Attak - min
VCA Decay - 2 o'clock (~70%)
VCA Sustain - min
VCA Release - min
Accent Decay - min
Slide - max

Switches:
Sync - off (left)
Hi Res - off (down)
VCF OD - off (down)
Gate on - off (down)
----------------------------------------------------------
To answer your other questions the overdrive circuit does not pass through the headphone output, only the main output.
About the noise when the volume of VCO's are turned down, is it a noise like noise floor, clicking, or does it sound like high freq VCO noise leaking through?

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

bcbox wrote: To answer your other questions the overdrive circuit does not pass through the headphone output, only the main output.
About the noise when the volume of VCO's are turned down, is it a noise like noise floor, clicking, or does it sound like high freq VCO noise leaking through?
Brian,

The noise seems to be a mixture of leaking noise comes from VCO and a realy silent noise of clicking or high lfo generated noise.

Could be, that it comes from untrimmed xoxbox, i will trim it finally today (evening).

BTW: Brian, i am satisfied so far.. All the hours and the little frustration challange seems to pay of. Want another one i guess =)

/Marco

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

The noise seems to be a mixture of leaking noise comes from VCO
This is most likely noise coming in at the VCA input. The easy way to take the VCO out and VCF out signal from teh new rear jacks and listen. Chances are there is no noise. If this is the case let me know and I can help you eliminate it.
and a realy silent noise of clicking or high lfo generated noise
For this noise do you still hear it even if the volume control is turned all the way down? Does it seem to coincide with the gate signal going on and off?

I'm going to copy these comments to a new thread called x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting so I have nice place to keep track of these issues, please reply on that thread.

xarolium

Post by xarolium »

Hi every Acidmens

thank you BCbox for this amazing project
unfortunetly i couldn't be on the waiting list for the complet kit.
i already have the IO /overdrive board but really want the other board to complet my X0xb0x
I would like to know if you 'll do a 2nd bulk order
If YES i'm in of course

http://www.myspace.com/xarolium

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

I would like to know if you 'll do a 2nd bulk order
yes I will do another run if I can get about 20 people. There's four people so far.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”