any problem with using telephone cables to wire sensors?

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nym

any problem with using telephone cables to wire sensors?

Post by nym »

forgive me for not just trying this, but i'm still working out the kinks in my midisense unit.

telephone cable has 4 wires in it. i'd like to use modular plugs such as phone and ethernet cable to allow for interchangeable midisense instruments.

second - are these things hot swappable? is it cool to just yank out sensors while midisense is running?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

mm, should be ok, but make sure it works without the modular plugs first, right?

nym

Post by nym »

absolutely, i will.

ada, would there be anything particularly risky or damaging involved in the following:

using a phone jack (which has 4 wires in it) to connect 2 sensors to a midisense unit and "pulling the plug" while the midisense is on?

ie, can you pull sensors from midisense while the power is on without damaging the unit? that's what i meant by "hot swappable."

ada, you're gonna flip when you see what i've got planned for this. i'll be working this out in the next couple weeks. your design is going to give me such control over my sampler's drumming capability, it's not even funny.

check it out:

6 pad grid edit. it essentially zooms in on 6 pads of the sampler's 16 and lets you control sooo much about them. total control over note parameters, placement, etc....

now, midisense has a total of 6 inputs. this works out so perfectly.
also, each "pad" of the MPC alllows for 4 layered wav files. different velocities (1-127) can be set to trigger different layers, ie a value of 60 could trigger a different sample than a value of 127.

i plan to use this idea to wire parallel pressure sensors into midisense so that multiple sensors control the same midi note. each sensor will have a progressively stronger resistor, so that it has a built in "cap" to its velocity value, hence limiting itself to a different velocity layer.

this allows the potential of triggering FAR more than just 6 notes.

so excited about this, miz limor. you've really opened doors for me. thank you so much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”