SUPER HEAT PROBLEM

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
superjarvo

SUPER HEAT PROBLEM

Post by superjarvo »

I just assembled Kit v1.1 for my 60Gb Video iPod. I do not have a multimeter but checked at least a dozen times if everything was placed correctly on the PCB.

When I put in batteries, they get hot and I see smoke coming from the back of the battery holder. The circuit is melting the pastic behind the spring. Also, nothing is being charged (iPod or Sony HD-NW5). My Chip seems pretty hot as well.

I don't know what to do. I currently live in Japan and I am going home to Canada for a month vacation. It would be nice to watch some movies on the plane.

Thanks in advance.

fever16

Post by fever16 »

surely short circuit

superjarvo

Post by superjarvo »

Then what can I do to fix it since all parts in the proper place and in polarities. This is the first time I do something like this therefore I am not 100% sure of what I am doing. All I know is that all parts and polarities are correct.

fever16

Post by fever16 »

well if u have breadboard then its better to test the circuit on it(before soldering them on PCB)
double check tyhe connections,polarities(capacitor,battery)
and mainly properly placing the chip(max)

for checking.first take the schematic of the circuit and follow as per it.imean + goes to pin 1 of chip,then it connects to c3 at + like...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

something is shorted or poorly soldered. could be shorting in the tin, try taking it out. could be damaged though.

hal90002010

Post by hal90002010 »

Post a pic of the board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”