Power consumption - - LEDs - - and blackberry

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mad426

Power consumption - - LEDs - - and blackberry

Post by Mad426 »

I just purchased the MintyBoost v3 and it works very nicely, my first
project. I am a novice and have a few questions that I could not find in the forums. If I am repeating a question sorry…

1 If I leave the batteries plugged in to the unit will they die? ( no phone connected)
1a if it does would me adding a switch to the positive wire form the battery case fix that or what would you recommend?

2 I would like to add to LEDs is it possible and if so can you assist me?
1 Led when the unit is charging the phone
1 Led when the unit is dead and should be unplugged from the phone
how could I have the MintyBoost auto switch-off the unit so the phone no longer sees the charger?

3 Do you know when blackberries will work? I have a new 9900 and a bold and they do not charge.

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry if these are simple questions I am just getting in to this and am learning.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power consumption - - LEDs - - and blackberry

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1 - It will drain slowly. There is a couple of mA of current draw when not connected. A switch connected as you describe will eliminate that drain.

2 - Charging thresholds for various devices differ. The Minty doesn't have any way to know if the phone is charging or not.

3 - Some newer phones will try to charge at a higher rate than the Minty can provide. Have you tried shorting D1 to D2? If the phone follows the standard (not all do) it should not try to draw more than 500mA when D1 and D2 are shorted.

Mad426

LEDs - - and blackberry

Post by Mad426 »

1- Thank you

2 - Does the LT1302 chip not stop the unit for charging a phone once the voltage / power drops beyond a certain limit? Could I not use that to turn a LED from green to red?

3 - Forgive me I am a novice - I only see D1 on mine ( see picture attached ) - Can you please edit the attached picture to show me when you are suggesting..

Thank you...
Marcelo

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power consumption - - LEDs - - and blackberry

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1 - You are welcome :)
2 - It is not that smart. It will shut-down if it overheats. But other than that it just tries to keep putting out 5v.
3 - I meant the D1 and D2 pins (the two center pins) on the USB connector.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”