Not working at all

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GMunroe998

Not working at all

Post by GMunroe998 »

Ok mintyboost is not working at all. Tried the chip one way it got ridiculously hot. Tried it the other way it did not, both ways did not charge the iPhone 5. What did I do wrong? All the solder points were well done. The way I see it something must be backwards But there we two things that resemble resistors left over and not included in the instructions. What did I do

ifrpilot999

Re: Not working at all

Post by ifrpilot999 »

It looks like the red (normally +) wire is soldered to the neg pad on the MintyBoost. And likewise, the black (normally -) wire is on the positive pad on the MB. The battery is reversed going into the MB.

GMunroe998

Post by GMunroe998 »

Yeah that's my fault. After the chip got crazy hot I switched them. I just forgot to switch them back before I took the picture.

jke

Post by jke »

The capacitors are wrong and need to be turned around (the white stripe at the side = minus/negative). Just de-solder them and turn them 180° around so that the negative pole corresponds with what is printed on the pcb.

Else, the rest looks fine (except of course for the cables).

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Be careful unsoldering the electrolytic caps. It's easy to melt the guts inside the cans if you heat them for too long.

There is a test in the assembly instructions, right before you install the USB socket. Did you do that test? Then would have been the time to stop and look for the problem. Hopefully, you haven't damaged anything by reversing the power leads and the boost converter chip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”