V3 wrong chip, and resistors

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ungeek

V3 wrong chip, and resistors

Post by ungeek »

Hello!

My mintyboost V3 seems to have the chip for the V2, LT1302 CNB-5, and two wrong resistors. Please see attached photo.

I've got everything else soldered and ready to go except the errant resistors and haven't placed the wrong chip.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Best,
Ben
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (540.48 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: V3 wrong chip, and resistors

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The LT1302 is the correct chip for V2 and later. V1 used a MAX756.
It's hard to see the color bands on the resistors, but they look like the 49.9K for R1 & R3. They shoulde Yellow White White Red Brown. Sometimes the bluish body color of the resistors shows through the color-band paint.

ungeek

Post by ungeek »

Great! Thanks, Bill. Note that your v3 parts list includes the the chip description "5V boost converter

LT1302CN8-5 (for v2.0)" and a picture of the MAX756 chip which seemed to be cup and pasted from the v2 parts list. That suggested to me I had the v2.0 chip. Sorry. Will try the resistors.

Also, apologies for the confusion but I've also been communicating on this issue with J in Adafruit's support. Sorry to wasted both of your time... :oops:

Very grateful,
Ben

adafruit_support_bill

No problem. That's what we're here for. :)
I'll clarify the parts-list to avoid confusion in the future.

ungeek

Post by ungeek »

Great! It's now working. You were right and thanks for updating the parts list. One more, hopefully final, thing: the fact that Altoids gum is discontinued. I live in NYC and a lot of Altoids are sold in my 'hood. I had always assumed that I could just go out and buy the gum when needed. I just got back from checking all 6 BANNED, bodegas and 1 supermarket within walking distance of my apartment. No dice. It was only when I read the info on your "Altoids Gum Sized Tin" http://www.adafruit.com/products/16 that I learned the product had been discontinued. Others may benefit from the following changes:

1) Update the "Case it | Minty Boost" page so it no longer says, "Go buy a tin of Altoid gum." http://learn.adafruit.com/minty-boost/case-it and add some notice on that page that the gum has been discontinued though Adafruit sells appropriate tins.
2) Update the "Parts list | Minty Boost" page http://learn.adafruit.com/minty-boost/parts-list to include the case and note the fact that the case is a needed part, the gum has been discontinued though Adafruit sells and appropriate tin.
3) Update the Minty Boost Description http://www.adafruit.com/products/14#Description to note that the gum has been discontinued but that Adafruit sells appropriate sized tins.

So, I just ordered Adafruits great Altoids gum sized tin. Had the description (3) included any notice that the gum had been discontinued I would have bought the tin from you when I bought the kit and saved the extra postage and avoided the delay. Had 1) and/or 2) been changed, I wouldn't have gone on my local wild [banned spam word for singular domesticated fowl] chase looking for the Altoid gum. It was good exercise, though.

Thanks again!
Best,
Ben

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the tutorial and will talk to the web folks about updating the product description.

ungeek

Post by ungeek »

Looks great! Also, I was curious how your resellers were dealing with the lack of Altoids gum. Maker Shed http://www.makershed.com/MintyBoost_Bun ... sbunmb.htm has photos of the minty boost in their rectangular project tin (not apparently sold separately), about the size of the Altoids mint tin. That works but is less elegant since the PCB was designed for the gum tin. Looking forward to my Adafruit tin arriving in the mail. Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

To be honest, we don't get very many questions about the tins. People seem to enjoy improvising their own enclosures.

ungeek

Post by ungeek »

I hear you, Bill. I may not be your typical customer. I think it says a lot about my individual strengths and weaknesses that I seem to be the first person hung up by the previous iteration your v3 parts list. :wink:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”