Solar Boost Bag

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
John_S_123

Solar Boost Bag

Post by John_S_123 »

Hello,

I just wanted to know if the Solar Boost Bag is able to charge an iPhone 6?

https://learn.adafruit.com/solar-boost-bag?view=all

I am currently planning to create a Solar USB Charger for a science Project but I wasn't sure where to buy the components. However, after going through your website, I've found the Solar Boost Bag to be quite interesting. Do you think that this product is suitable for my project? It seems like that all items listed on the product's page is currently in stock.

Regards,
John

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Solar Boost Bag

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This should charge an iPhone 6 - provided that you use the large (or huge) solar panel. The phone requires a minimum of 2.5 Watts to charge.

John_S_123

Post by John_S_123 »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying. If I am planning on buying all the parts required for the Solar Booster Bag, which shipping method do you feel to be the most appropiate? I live in Beijing, China so it will be an international order.

Regards,
John

adafruit_support_bill

I don't know what all the rates and carrier options are to Beijing. You should get a selection of options at checkout. UPS tends to be more expensive for international shipping, but they have the best record for reliability.

You might also want to check out our distributor list. We do have several in China - which may save you some on both time and shipping costs:

https://www.adafruit.com/distributors/

John_S_123

Post by John_S_123 »

OK.

I also have another question about the setup of the Solar Panel in the Solar Boost Bag. If I am using the Large 6V 3.4W Solar panel, should I still follow the second method for the solar panel preparation? I notice that the larger solar panel requires a 3.5mm x 1.3mm DC jack connector and in the instructions below it says that you need a 2.1mm DC barrel plug.

https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-dc-and-s ... reparation

adafruit_support_bill

The current version of the charger board has a 2.1mm jack, so you will need to change the plug on the panel. The terminal block adapter is the simplest way to go.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/369

John_S_123

Post by John_S_123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The current version of the charger board has a 2.1mm jack, so you will need to change the plug on the panel. The terminal block adapter is the simplest way to go.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/369
Does that mean that I do not need the "2.1mm DC Barrel Plug to Alligator Clips" anymore?

adafruit_support_bill

You can use one or the other. If you are good at soldering, you can cut the alligator clips off and splice the wires for a cleaner looking cable.

beixingchen

Post by beixingchen »

Got it. Thanks a lot Bill.

Just now I've gone on checking out the items that I needed. However, during the shipping stage, it says that delivery isn't available to where I currently live. Is this due to the city I live in or the specific address I've entered? I wasn't able to enter my full address as I live in Beijing, China where addresses are quite long if written in English.

adafruit_support_bill

Not sure exactly. It is possible that the shipping database was not able to determine your location from the partial address. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread, they can try to resolve it for you.

beixingchen

Post by beixingchen »

OK. I'll contact them in a second, thanks.

Between, do you roughly know how long it usually takes for Adafruit to ship items tp Germany using the USPS Priority Mail Express International service or will that info be provided on the ordering page?

Regards,
Beixing

adafruit_support_bill

The customs process can be unpredictable sometimes. But the expedited shipping options at checkout will show you an estimated delivery time.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”