Can the LM3662 charger IC safely charge LiPoly batteries?

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bandit

Can the LM3662 charger IC safely charge LiPoly batteries?

Post by Bandit »

The data sheet for the LM3662 is described as a Li Ion battery charger not a Li Poly charger. Doesnt Li Poly batteried require more careful control of the charging process and keeping it topped up. Im asuming this circuit has been used for LiPoly batteries. Has anyone had any problems or success with 3.7V LiPoly batteries being used with this IC?

evilroot

Re: Can the LM3662 charger IC safely charge LiPoly batteries?

Post by evilroot »

You sure you have that part number right? Because I'm not finding any info on it at all.

But generally speaking, you should NOT use a charging circuit designed for Li-ion to charge a Lipoly. They have different charge profiles . . . . and since Lipolys have a bad habit of catching fire if they're charged improperly, its best not to take chances when you can get another component for a few bucks that will actually do the job right.

Bandit

Re: Can the LM3662 charger IC safely charge LiPoly batteries?

Post by Bandit »

Sorry its LM3622M-4.2.

Thats what I thought. There are some ICs that are specifically designed for charging both LiIon and LiPoly such as the Intersil ISL6291, Microchip MCP738XX, National Semiconductor LM 3658.

wtfwtfdef

Re: Can the LM3662 charger IC safely charge LiPoly batteries

Post by wtfwtfdef »

I would not listen to this evilroot guy, and incase anyone like me stumbles upon this and starts to get worried, even though everyone is using lipos. with the same old lion charging chips and circuitry..

-The primary difference between lion and lipo is that the lithium-salt electrolyte is not held in an organic solvent but in a solid polymer composite such as polyethylene oxide or polyacrylonitrile.

The charging circuitry should be the same and can work for either imho. The explosive part is the lithium, so either can catastrophically fail.

I've looked at the WB2010, and the charging chip used is not LiPoly specific, infact its for Li-Ions. But All the people with the wb2010's are using LiPo's as specified by the wiki to use a LiPO battery and with that same charging chip, im sure if someone had a wavebubble explode on them, they would post it in here and warn people about the danger of charging lipo's with lion controller chips.

Even newer charging chips all specifically just say Li+, and look to be the same circuitry just rebranded. Hopefully if anyone had a catastrophic failure of their lipo's while charging with the wb2010 chip or the original wb chip, they could chime in here...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”