Wave Bubble 2010

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
losthorizonmba

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Post by losthorizonmba »

It is unsupported because it is ILLEGAL in every UN member. Ladyada makes that very clear. However there is ample "support" for this project in this forum.

losthorizonmba

switches to giuseppe64

Post by losthorizonmba »

There are two switches (S1, S2) in the WB 2010 schematics, gerb files, BOM, as well as the PCBs

giuseppe64

Post by giuseppe64 »

thanks for answer so what the s1 and s2 used for? and what is the best scheme in eagle format? can i use the wave bubble for 900mhz and 1900 mhz in the same time?

DimaGS

Post by DimaGS »

Hi!

I'm working on this project too and I would like to do the two versions of this project: with external antennas and with internal antennas(PCB). So, I'm seraching the radius and the lenght of the PCB antennas to calculate their power (emission power). I have already the Schematic files and the Eagle diagrammes, but I'm not able to take the next step. Someone, knows this information already or can show me a link where I can find the information?

Thank you a lot, :)
Last edited by DimaGS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ces140

Post by Ces140 »

Hello:
I'm doing a school project and I wish I could help calculate the emission power (in watts) of this jammer, I am now looking for that sort of data, but the only thing I'm missing is that.

DimaGS

Post by DimaGS »

Hi!

I'm working on this project too and I would like to do the two versions of this project: with external antennas and with internal antennas(PCB). So, I'm seraching the radius and the lenght of the PCB antennas to calculate their power (emission power). I have already the Schematic files and the Eagle diagrammes, but I'm not able to take the next step. Someone, knows this information already or can show me a link where I can find the information?

Thank you a lot, :)

tech212

Post by tech212 »

I'm having trouble communicating with the Atmega168. When I open my programmer it says that it cannot enter programming mode. The voltage read is right, and the lines to the chip are all correct without any shorts or unintended openings. Also, the chip is getting the proper voltage and current it needs. The programmer says that it was expecting a certain value to be returned but instead it got 0x000000 (or something close to that). Any ideas? Also, what kind of total current draw should I be expecting for this version (2010) of the Wave Bubble?

Program: Atmel Studios
Programmer: AVR Dragon (via ISP)
Set Clock Speed: 1 MHz

lightningserpent

Post by lightningserpent »

At the risk of keeping this thread alive I will offer suggestions. Starting a new post will probably work just as well and keep posts on topic if my suggestions do not work.

0x000000 means it is not communicating with the chip at all. I had this problem before with another project and eventually found out it was my own fault.

Make sure you are/have burned the correct fuses to the chip. Double check that you have the clock fuse set correctly. Make sure you have the communication speed of the programmer set correctly.

I had the "Divide by Eight" fuse set which meant my uC was running much much slower than the programmer expected.

tl;dr
Things to check:
Correct fuses burned to chip.
Correct communication speed set by programmer.
Correct device signature based on chip (i.e. atmega168 is not the same as atmega168PA).

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

I think it may be time to make a 2013 version, using an ATMega32u4 with the Arduino bootloader. That should remove some of the programming hassle.

wing23

Post by wing23 »

would be great to have it with an LCD too :)

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Why does that ALWAYS come up? Why do you need an LCD? If it's to add a PC-less way of adding bands to inhibit then I think it's out of scope for a basic cig packed sized jammer. Obviously if you want one please design it yourself, but I just cannot justify the wasted power, programming and board space to myself.

wing23

Post by wing23 »

though there are really "green" LCDs for some time now, I guess a simple LED needs more power ...

it would make things a bit more comfortable and I don't see any wasted space either :o

and, on a side note: there are people who don't know how to simply implement it themselves
there must be a reason why "this always comes up", else it wouldn't ...

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Both RC1, RC1a and 2010 are pretty much jam packed. To accommodate an LCD screen extra stuff has to be put on like a larger microcontroller or port expanders. You will also take a hit to battery life on something that gobbles power already.

There's also an argument for plausible deniability. A PCB with antennas could be passed off as a "magic healing waves" where as a screen saying "inhibiting 300MHz to 500MHz" would not be looked kindly upon.

Meh, if ever do a redesign I'll see about adding an I2C header for a I2C Human Machine Interface (HMI) board.

wing23

Post by wing23 »

yeah, well I was thinking about an I2C LCD, IIRC there were some kind of cell phone LCDs that could be used
or normal LCDs with some HC165 IC attached, but that's just details

you're just thinking about camouflaging the device? I mean, here you could run around with it and nobody cares what you carry around
there's no police perfoming bag searches or anything like that, so IMO appearance isn't a problem for most people who might build one of these jammers :)
for me it would be comfortable to (for example) see something like battery level, frequency band, transmitter on/off or something like that :)

tech212

Post by tech212 »

Solved the initial problem (error: 0x000000 returned signature). Thanks to lightningserpent for the help. The clock speed setting was too high (though the datasheet said it was fine). Changed it and the programming went smooth from there. However, the LM358 directly after the potentiometer has an odd output (both outputs). It isn't a smooth sawtooth wave. Instead, I get a wave that makes its way up to 3 volts (smoothly) then a large jump to the full voltage of the 24 volt line. It seems like the amplifier is doing what it's supposed to do (gain is correct), but the jump up to the max voltage seems a bit odd. Any suggestions?

For future reference:
When using the Atmega168, set the clock speed to 250 kHz.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”