Found the 2007 Wavebubble - How best to test?

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
telefire

Found the 2007 Wavebubble - How best to test?

Post by telefire »

In 2007 I spent the winter learning all I could about electronics in order to assemble the original wavebubble as posted by Lady Ada. Very fascinated.

And it happened. I was mesmerized by all things Adafruit and the emergent open source community putting out such an incredible work for people to build on. I had lots of help and the wavebubble worked. I may have had the first youtube videos of this civil disobedience along with the first DIY SMT soldering by an artist.

I just found this Wavebubble with its things and would like to give it a run. From what I remember, the most issues were from electrial challenges stemming from the power source, a skillset I have none of. The device would start making gentle hissing sounds at times. This might be why I used the username "hahahehihoha" on this forum back in 2007.

So how can I safely connect to power and run without immediately frying the whole thing? If parts start overheating, or if something smells burnt, does that mean the entire device is fried or can it be saved? How should I clean it first, and how should I test the power source connection? At home. I'm an artist but I respect the electron.

I recall nothing from how to program this device but I do recall how fun it was to plug it in, to communicate with it and to see the VCO's do their thing. I seem to have all those pieces available in the box.

Here it is today:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”