Finished WBRC1A but have a current question

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mandy

Finished WBRC1A but have a current question

Post by mandy »

Hi all!

I've finished sodering my WB together and as far as I can tell the little box is working. I did a few Jamm-Sessions and knocked off my WLAN and my phones UMTS and GSM succesfully. But I have a question regarding the current drawn by the wavebubble. Is it correct that the wavebubble draws 0.9mA when the VCO2( the one for the lower bands) is in operation? I'm asking because the VCO1 draws only modest 0.2mA at most. So operating the both VCOs together draws almost 1A! Can this be right or should I expect my wavebubble to catch fire if running for longer time periods.

The only modification I have done to the design is using a BGA6589 for the VCO2 gain stage and a TQP7M9101 for the VCO1 gain stage. Those two amps are very similar to the SXA389B which unfortunately is almost impossible to get here in Europe. I did not adjust the PADs as this would have been only minor modifications to the resistor values so I did not bother - but maybe I should have.

If someone who has also assembled a WBRC1A successfully could maybe share some voltage and current levels just for comparison.

Many thanks,
Mandy

mandy

Re: Finished WBRC1A but have a current question

Post by mandy »

Ok, here is an update on my issue with the low band VCO branch. Since I was not very happy with the 1A drawn when running the both VCOs together I decided to change the VCO2 branch. Now I'm using the configuration as described in the BGA6589 data sheet for the 800MHz setup. This way I'm now down to 0.4A when running the both VCOs at the same time. The range has decreased a bit but that's still fine around 3 to 4 meters.

Just wanted to share this little piece of info,
Mandy

lightningserpent

Post by lightningserpent »

3-4 meters is what I achieved with my WBRC1a using BANNED-84s and 5v VCOs. Different phones require the WB to be closer to affect the signal. I never checked current, but I know I had a short inside one of the amps. The WB still worked, but it got very hot. I replaced the amp and it fixed my overheating/shorting. Congratulations on completion!

mandy

Post by mandy »

"Congratulations on completion!" - Thanks! This project was so much fun and this forum a main source for hints and ideas. I definitely will also build the WB2010 in the near future.

On a side note: What I find interesting is that I can also block the DVB-T reception in our area which is a bit unexpected because those frequencies are well below 800Mhz. So I guess my WB generates also some harmonics in that frequency band. I will need to check that with a SA.

Regarding the 0.4A drawn by my lower VCO (btw. it should have been 0.9A and 0.2A and not mA in my original post) I'm still not sure this is a sound rating. But so far I could not identify any soldering mistakes or wrongly placed parts. So maybe its correct after all. I'll probably need to do the math to convince myself.

Ciao,
Mandy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”