17 year old wants to make a wave bubble.

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fabmxer

17 year old wants to make a wave bubble.

Post by fabmxer »

Hey what's up everyone. I'm 17 and I want to take on the challenge of building this RF Jammer. I can do simple stuff like build a computer etc. but I have never soldered a circuit board.

I know it's a tough task , so laugh , but I want to accomplish this. Do you guys think I can do it? Either way I will try to make it , and then upload the picture of it ( or video ) when I am finished , maybe even give you guys a laugh if it turns out bad ( or doesn't turn out ).

I will start buying the materials in a couple of weeks when I have more time , but will be studying a little bit until then. Have you guys made any big mistakes that I should look out for and avoid?

- Fabmxer

none_such

go for it

Post by none_such »

if you have the time and the money and the patience - you can get this done. You will need to invest in a few items like a good soldering iron. Just read the ladyada web site for details and peruse this forum. Good luck.

hl-sdk

Post by hl-sdk »

Us = same age, I've been doing electronics for about a year now. You'll want to do as much soldering on anything you can, then do SMT soldering until you are awesome with it. After that, it's just a matter of finding the parts as the guide is EXTREMELY detailed.

fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Yes that's my main concern getting the parts , not because of the money , but I just hope the all the websites have it in stock and everything.

fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Or does anyone know of any simple projects with an online tutorial like this one that involve soldering? Maybe I should practice on that before starting this one? If not I'll just jump right into this then.

I'll search Google , but I always like to hear other peoples opinions.

montag

Post by montag »

Fiind a thrift store and get junk electronics with SMD parts in them. The DSS boxes are usually pretty cheap and are in the same skill level as this project.

Use a heat gun to strip the board. Heat it from the back and slam it on the bench or scrape the parts off of it while hot, then put them back.

There are more elegant ways to salvage parts but you are going to destroy these anyway dont fret damaging them at first. Learn to salvage after you learn to build.

MightyGuru

Post by MightyGuru »

This project is challenging and at the same time rewarding 8) . The most difficult part IS the soldering! Not that soldering is a difficult task, it's the small size of components being soldered that poses the greatest challenge. The 1206 (3.2 mm × 1.6 mm) and larger parts aren't that bad, it's the 0603 (1.6 mm × 0.8 mm) and IC's with 0.65mm pin pitch that test your skills. :wink: I would recommend getting an iron with the smallest tip you can (I used a 1mm angled tip). Rosin flux will also help greatly with solder flow on the IC pins. Since you have never soldered :shock: I would buy extras of all your parts :!:

Eggert

Post by Eggert »

Could anyone please comment these videos?
I didn't try it that way but it looks nice!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0O2UEGLJeAI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5x6ACO7iR0A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eH7I3O2uizc

You could put more than one on the board and solder all parts at a time...

I think I'll get a hot-air solder.

MightyGuru

Post by MightyGuru »

Eggert wrote:Could anyone please comment these videos?
I didn't try it that way but it looks nice!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0O2UEGLJeAI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5x6ACO7iR0A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eH7I3O2uizc

You could put more than one on the board and solder all parts at a time...

I think I'll get a hot-air solder.

I looked into it but the paste is expensive and has a limited shelf life. I believe it also has to be kept refrigerated until use and, as such, requires overnight shipping. If you're not careful you will burn up the board or part using hot air. Don't get me wrong, I have a hot air gun and love it. I use it primarily for component removal. I relied on traditional hand soldering for my WB.

montag

Post by montag »

Guru is correct the paste is expensive and requires refrigeration. Also it has a short shelf life.

Remember that as you are learning the hot air or oven method with solder paste you are going to use too much or too little solder paste and will have to fix things with an iron. So you have to learn the iron skills anyway. Cleaning up with solder wick is easier than it looks!

Start with the iron it is a skill you will always need. The other methods are fast as you get good at them but also require practice, with the iron you ruin one part at a time. With the other methods you ruin the whole thing (with hot air you can ruin the board very easily!!!) at one time. Just something to think about.

Edited to add: If you want to use the heat gun try salvaging first, might be surprised how hot you can get things with one.

sd_proto

Post by sd_proto »

Try this link for solder paste. I just got some and am pretty happy with it. Refrigeration of this solder paste is optional and unless its roasting hot outside, should survive shipping time without a problem. The kit is ~$25 and has many syringe tips for different pads. Also checkout sparkfun.com for different soldering techniques, like toaster oven, and hotplate... yes, for real!

http://www.celeritous.com/estore/index. ... ucts_id=47

fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

So then what should I go with , solder it , or use solder paste?

I want the easiest way , but I don't wanna mess it up in the process either.

Lanmasterd

Post by Lanmasterd »

if u have a steady hamd and a good weler soldering iron with fine nib.. and really good fine solder.. then go with that option. the paste method is only good if u have experiance in it.

lanmasterd :twisted:

cablemonkey

Post by cablemonkey »

I recommend this approach to SMT work: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4V7tBPsECjc

This is the technique that I learned from a little girl on the assembly line in China. She had mad soldering iron skillz, yo. It was actually quite a treat to watch her and her colleagues work. They could get ICs off a board in good enough shape to re-use that I would have to scrap to remove.

Simple and effective. Forget all that solder paste and hot air jazz, this is an easy way that works really well.

Psymiley

Post by Psymiley »

The method cablemonkey uses works best with a high flux content solder or simply wiping the pins with flux first.

Its the method I use and the best at removing bridges! 8)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”