OS X Lion Support

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: OS X Lion Support

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you running the SpokePOV on batteries, with the power jumper removed from the usbtiny?
There's not enough current from USB to run the SpokePOV.

Also, there are two 'optional' resistors in the usbtiny (R4 and R7, I think?). These are not required for normal ICSP programming with the usbTiny, but they are recommended to be installed if you're going to be working with a SpokePOV.

Does the usbtiny show up under USB devices in the Mac system report?

rustybikes

Post by rustybikes »

Yep.. SpokePOV has a fresh set of AAs installed, and the jumper is off (open) on the USBTiny. I did install R4 and R7 (just double-checked; you remember correctly) because I'd initially intended it to be dedicated to the SpokePOV (that'll probably change.. different topic).

I thought I'd made some progress - I found a thread (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30755) that suggested that the USB3 port on my MBP was a contributor. I happen to have a new USB2 hub (Belkin) that I'd picked up for another project. So, I grabbed it, plugged everything in, and looked in System Profiler. USBTiny correctly appeared under the USB 2.0 hub I'd just added. By now, I was not connected to the SpokePOV, FYI. I knew it would fail, but I hit Connect in SpokePOV Soft just to see what would happen. No real changes in the logs, and I got the expected error message. But this time, both the green and red LEDs were lit! I was encouraged/excited, so I grabbed April and all the bits (USB2 hub, USBTiny, cables) and moved to the bike.

As before, I powered on the SpokePOV, plugged in the jumperless USBTiny, and attached it to the hub (already connected/recognised on MBP). I jumped right into SpokePOV Soft, and clicked Connect. This time it "Failed to open the port". Ugh.. The syslog reflects the same:

Code: Select all

Sep 12 17:25:59 april [0x0-0x590590].org.wxwindows...[26343]: 17:25:59 : Debug: Connecting via usb
Sep 12 17:26:02 april [0x0-0x590590].org.wxwindows...[26343]: 17:26:02 : Debug: Could not find USB device 0x1781/0xc9f
Not good. For the record, I did check System Profiler, and it also refuses to acknowlege USBTiny at all now.

So, any progress I thought I was making was in the wrong direction. I'm actually worse off than I was when I started poking at this today. Discouraging.

And... Since I know it'll come up, I took a couple snaps of the completed USBTiny board (linked for size). Apologies for the decisions the autofocus decided to make here.

Top: http://cynch.dyndns.org/pix/IMG_1048.JPG
Bottom: http://cynch.dyndns.org/pix/IMG_1049.JPG

What do you think?

adafruit_support_rick

usbtiny looks OK - I wish everybody soldered that well! :wink:.

Try rebooting the Mac. I had a similar situation with a usbtiny recently, and that seemed to fix it. And stay away from the USB3 port entirely - we've had reports of general arduino comm problems with USB 3 on both Macs and Windows.

rustybikes

Post by rustybikes »

I feel compelled to turn in my geek badge now. Reboot the computer. I guess my only defense is that I've been a Mac person long enough that it's no longer my go-to when things like this happen. You can bet that, had I been on Windows, a reboot or three would have been involved. Once I performed that step, USBtiny shows up as it should:

I did nothing else, and went over with my gear and sat on the floor beside the bike. I'd been excited about this before (as described earlier), so I very pleased to see it find and connect to SpokePOV on the first try. I wanted further proof, so I found a quick 'n' easy image, ran it through Photoshop, and uploaded it to SpokePOV. Fixed the offset, and BAM - it "just works" now!

(this image is in the Public Domain and may be freely distributed)

I can see more SpokePOV kits in my future. The wheel was spinning at roughly 30mph in that snapshot. As stated in the product page, that's about right for a single-spoke setup.

YAY!! Thanks driverblock! You rock!!

Also, thanks for the kind words re: my soldering. It's one of the few places my (mild) OCD has value.. :)

adafruit_support_rick

I know exactly how you feel re: Macs and rebooting. It never even occurred to me to reboot the Mac - I just assumed that the USBtiny was bad, and ordered another one (to be fair, the first tiny was having noise problems anyway, so I figured it finally failed all the way).

Glad you got it running!

mmmmmmmmkay

Post by mmmmmmmmkay »

Whoops! I posted a new thread concerning this issue. So looks like ya'll did recompile for Lion, awesome! Could you please repost the link to the .zip? The one in this thread dosent seem to link to it? Thanks.

rustybikes

Post by rustybikes »

Hmm.. Confirmed - the .zip doesn't seem to be there any more, as you've discovered. I don't know what the reason for that is - according to what I can see on GitHub, SpokePOV hasn't been updated in a good while. I fear that it's not being maintained any more (can Adafruit comment on that?).

Anyway, because I'm a bit of a packrat, I still have the .zip that was linked. I put a copy of it on my server: http://cynch.dyndns.org/pix/adafruit-Sp ... e97b58.zip - once you've unzipped it, the .app executable is in executables/v1.4/OSX_10.7.2. Good luck!

adafruit_support_rick

GitHub seems to have changed some things recently. The spokepov.app is still there, but the .zip file is gone. I've flagged the issue to our engineers. Thanks for the tip!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what happens if you download the whole thing?
https://github.com/adafruit/SpokePOV/archive/master.zip

yincrash

Post by yincrash »

the binary is oddly in the archive zip, but not in the github repo

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”