Soldered a MC backwards, unsoldering is almost impossible

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lechuga

Soldered a MC backwards, unsoldering is almost impossible

Post by lechuga »

Hello,

I completed building the main board, except I noticed that I put one MC in backwards. I bought de-soldering materials and I can't get the MC out.

Is it possible to fry the inside of the MC if my soldering tip makes contact for too long with one of the prongs? In addition to trying to de-solder, I'm concerned that I may be damaging the MC as I try to melt and absorb the solder connections with my solder wick. Any suggestions? I'd hate to have the entire build ruined by a single MC screw-up.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Soldered a MC backwards, unsoldering is almost impossibl

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I use a solder sucker. That doesn't require a lot of heating, the way solder wick does.

This one is very nice, but expensive:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

Cheaper, works well:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/148

lechuga

Post by lechuga »

Thanks for the reply. I have both a solder sucker (similar to your second link) and a wick. I have tried both, only clearing about 3 prongs. The solder around the other prongs will melt, but will not budge. I have tried for a long time now, but I'm afraid I might be doing damage by exposing the prongs to too much heat (frying the inside).

If it helps, I can put the batteries in and report with which lights light up. Not every "section" lit up when I turned the unit on to see what worked. Will this help any?

adafruit_support_rick

You can always just clip out the bad chip and replace it. It should be a lot easier to get the individual pins out.
There's only on microcontroller on the board, and that one should be socketed. The rest of the large chips are simple shift registers.

lechuga

Post by lechuga »

Sorry, I have the terminology wrong. I thought they were MCs for controlling each array section of LEDs. It's one of the 8 SRs that I put in backwards.

Is my only option to purchase a replacement or is there amnesty for first-time mistakes? Thank you.

adafruit_support_rick

We don't actually stock the shift registers individually. You can get them at Jameco:
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... llDownView

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”