Invitation for a new effort for a better Bicycle LED POV

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
casainho

Invitation for a new effort for a better Bicycle LED POV

Post by casainho »

Hello :)

I would like to invite hackers to join Bicycle LED POV project.

The project is hosted on Code.Google with a SVN server which is a must for collaborative work on firmware, software and hardware documentation.

I am pursuing evolution on hardware and firmware+software but also thinking in future stable and cheap hardware to be sell online worldwide.

Thank you.

casainho

Re: Invitation for a new effort for a better Bicycle LED POV

Post by casainho »

Here are the last pictures of the prototype:

I didn't use any AVR programmer or serial cable ;) :) -- all programing of the MCU as being done using USB directly :)

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

That's really sweet! I tell you though, the one thing I'd love to see, that's been rejected many times, is bi-color or tri-color LEDs. That would be pretty darn cool

casainho

Post by casainho »

magician13134 wrote:That's really sweet! I tell you though, the one thing I'd love to see, that's been rejected many times, is bi-color or tri-color LEDs. That would be pretty darn cool
Well, no problem on that - the question is just start by a simple and after complicate :)

There is space for improvaments and hacks, you are invited!!

Maybe you can write a message puting your wish list and explain you ideas, maybe someone after can develop them -- or you can do that for yourself!! -- If you want to be member, please just say ;) :)

The_Don125

Post by The_Don125 »

RGB probably wouldn't be that much harder to implement. Lets see, sticking with Ladyada's design, all shift registers could still be used. Instead of 8 though, 24 would be needed. Then, the use of RGB LEDs. Wire up all the shift registers so that its effectively a massive register of 96 bits (192 bits for the ability to display a different image on each side of the wheel), and then each bit alternates RGB, RGB, RGB, so that the 96 bits are broken down into 3-bit chunks. This wouldn't be full-color though, more like kayrock66's color SpokePOV.

Unfortunately, RGB LEDs cost a bunch compared to red or yellow. A full SpokePOV using RGB will need $32 in LEDs alone at bulk prices, while one using plain red or yellow LEDs only needs about $2 in LEDs. Add in triple the shift registers (at 50 cents USD each) and a far more complex PCB, and the cost of the project just skyrocketed.

casainho

Post by casainho »

Well, I think someone can make the prototype (who desires it), after design the schematic, sharing it and put a working description.

After the some person can hack on Firmware, doing another version for that hardware, finally, the Software.

O good way is to have PCBs and give them to others developers, for each developer have the hardware and being able to hack on Firmware and Software.

SVN of Bicycle LED POV can be used to host all that information.

In the end I think there are some online shops as make and sparkfun that can be interested on produce and sell this projects, If Ladyada's do not want to do it :-) :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”