Is it normal to have side 1 light up clean & side 2 chop
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is it normal to have side 1 light up clean & side 2 chop

by auchtung on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi,

I just completed a spoke POV, and I took it out for a test drive. As I was biking along, it seemed like one side lit up for the full rotation -- with all of the lights turning on at the right time. The other side seemed only to light up about halfway.

When I got home, I took off a battery and put it back in, and the LED test sequence showed that all of the LEDs light up right.

I also stood the wheel up and spun it, and one side seemed to work, while the other side would light up but only as I went faster.

So my questions are:
1.) Is this normal? (some sort of solid image on one side and a variable image on the other side which is dependent on speed)
2.) Is there any way I can make it so both sides are solid images that don't vary with speed? This would eat more battery but provide a good view for both sides of the bike.

Thank you for any insight,
:)
-Auchtung!

auchtung

by adafruit on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm

it should be working ok. if the LEDs test right, check the sensor
also if the batteries are low it can cause a problem
use fresh batteries
also
test it 'on the floor' not while riding so you can see better

adafruit

by auchtung on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Ok, I think I've got it figured out. One of the leads was shorting to the bike but only at fast RPMs-- that was why I was dropping out on one side.

Something else I'll be checking for on the forums -- it seems there's a bug in the code that flips on/off pixels in the vertical (offset) position. Is this a known issue -- or am I the only one seeing this?

Thanks!

--------
2 conformal coated Spoke POVs with Blue LEDs.

auchtung

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.