Need a visible laser

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
esqapeit

Need a visible laser

Post by esqapeit »

I need a visible laser, meaning one where the beam itself is readily visible without having to add a bunch of particulate into the air. It does not have to be super bright, but visible across the whole beam in a dark room. Does PRODUCT ID: 1054 meet this requirement? If not, do you offer a product that does? This is for an escape room scenario, so safety is of concern as well - do not want to fry our player's eyes!
Thanks,
John

Disciple

Re: Need a visible laser

Post by Disciple »

Hi. I'm no photonics expert but I've owned hobby lasers since the 70's. In clear air, visible light laser beams are like sunbeams. You just don't see 'em unless there's something in the air to scatter their light. Adafruit has visible light laser diodes with brightness similar to a standard pocket pointer. They all must shine on something to be seen, and they require eye safety precautions. If the natural air dust in the dark room doesn't adequately reveal the beam, maybe a low impact particulate source would work, like an ultrasonic fogger. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Disciple is correct. Perfectly clear air has nothing to scatter the beam, so the all the photons will continue straight on to the target. If the environment is naturally somewhat dusty, you might be able to see the beam as it diffracts off of dust particles. Ultrasonic foggers as suggested above will put enough tiny water droplets in the air to make a beam clearly visible.

We do carry a few small low-power LED laser modules: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1566?q=laser&

esqapeit

Post by esqapeit »

Yeah, I figured. Just didn't know if there was enough from Rayleigh scattering to get what I wanted. I have already pretty much decided to use PRODUCT ID: 2935 to relay a ultrasonic fogger on for a few seconds at the appropriate time to inject some water vapor into the air. Adafruit just needs to get it back in stock... :) Thanks for the info and help, all!

adafruit_support_bill

Rayleigh scattering is not much of a factor over short distances. Especially with the longer-wavelength red light from the modules we sell.

esqapeit

Post by esqapeit »

one more question about PRODUCT ID: 1054. How tight is the beam? I am wanting to shoot about 4 of these about 12 feet onto photoresisters to make a set of tripwires, AKA a laser grid. Will this product suffice for this, or does the beam scatter enough at that distance that I need a different laser/LED? I can't seem to find any info on this
Thanks for everyone's input.
John

adafruit_support_bill

12 feet should not be a problem for that module.

esqapeit

Post by esqapeit »

Thanks all! That is the info I needed.

esqapeit

Post by esqapeit »

As I mentioned earlier, I am going to use a power relay such as PRODUCT ID: 2935. However, it is out of stock. I called the manufacturer to see if I could purchase it from them, and they notified me that they had shipped 300 of the version 2 of these units to Adafruit. This was a week ago. When will this item be available again for purchase? The manufacturer wanted me to buy them from you, but I cannot unless they go up for sale on the website. Any info on this?

adafruit_support_bill

I'm not sure what carrier they used, but ship times from the West coast vary considerably. If you sign up for notifications, you will get an email as soon as the they are back on stock.

esqapeit

Post by esqapeit »

I do have product notification turned on for these, however, my concern is that they shipped the new version 2 of these. Would these new version 2 models be added as a new product id, and therefore I would not receive a notification? Sorry if I sound impatient, but my new escape room is on hold pending my being able to get these.

adafruit_support_bill

I will check to see if Version 2 will get a different product ID.

adafruit_support_bill

Our products team tells me that the new units will have the same product number: 2935

esqapeit

Post by esqapeit »

I am very grateful for your efforts. Thank you for the clarification. I will be patient.
John

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”