Getting the stink out

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pstemari

Getting the stink out

Post by pstemari »

So, I've bought a few of the laser-cut chassis from Pololu, and after handling them for a bit, especially when peeling off the paper coating, the residual smell on my hands is really obnoxiously persistent. Normal soap and water doesn't seem to get it off. I was able finally to get it off my hands using a scrub brush and really going at it, but I worked on another chassis last night and the stink is back.

Does anyone else notice this or am I going insane?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Getting the stink out

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is that laser-cut Lexan (or other polycarbonate)? That does have a nasty smell when freshly cut.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

polycarb/lexan is not lasercuttable

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Tell that to the folks at Lynxmotion: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-434-hexapod ... -mini.aspx

It doesn't cut as cleanly as acrylic (leaves a burnt edge) and give of BANNED fumes in the process, but it is cuttable.

250 coupe

Post by 250 coupe »

I hate cutting plastic because of the stink.

I've tried 409 and Goo Gone to cut it and am not sure if either really helps. Goo Gone may damage plastic, don't try it on anything you've paid for. Just about the only thing I've found that works well is time. It takes a week or two in open air to de-stink enough that it doesn't bother me.

Michael

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

arduwino wrote:Tell that to the folks at Lynxmotion: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-434-hexapod ... -mini.aspx

It doesn't cut as cleanly as acrylic (leaves a burnt edge) and give of BANNED fumes in the process, but it is cuttable.
yeek. they should be waterjetting it. pololu doesnt cut polycarb.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

So, after some false starts, INK-NIX followed by soap & water seems to reliably get the smell off my hands. I'm not sure what the name for INK-NIX is outside the fountain pen world, but it's a white, somewhat gritty paste that is also used by mechanics. It smells none too good, but soap & water gets its smell off.

I'm not sure if it's safe to use on the plastic, though. Might scratch it. I just hope those pieces air out sooner or later.

250 coupe

Post by 250 coupe »

Sounds like the stuff we used for carton coding ink on the fingers clean-up. I tell the new guys that altho it smells like poo it will get the ink off.

Michael

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Yeah, fountain pen ink will soak into the skin if you try and wash it off directly with water, but rubbing this stuff in and gradually adding water really does the job.

Philly

Post by Philly »

Get yourself some swarfega, its usually in a red/green plastic tub :)

Although adding sugar to shower gel will work in emergancies.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”