Moleskine Engraving Settings

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LaserGregg

welcome to lasers.

Post by LaserGregg »

I've always asked..... What is it made out of?
it was the first thing I mentioned when this subject came up.

ak chris

Post by ak chris »

Since they are described as an oil-cloth covered notebook and I got next to zero odor when engraving them, I assumed they were okay. You know what they say when you assume......

TechTatts

Re: Moleskine Engraving Settings

Post by TechTatts »

The following warning is from the people (person?) behind Engrave Your Tech in Portland. My husband fact checked it for us after I showed it to him and we are choosing not to laser Moleskines anymore.

Jen

:(

http://www.engraveyourtech.com/

Engraved Moleskine Update!

08.25.08 | Categories: moleskine.

WARNING : DO NOT LASER ENGRAVE MOLESKINES WITHOUT THE PROPER FILTRATION SYSTEM. BURNING THEM CREATES HIGHLY TOXIC GASES INCLUDING PHOSGENE AND CHLORINE GAS. THE HYDROCHLORIC ACID PRODUCED WILL CORRODE EVERYTHING IT CONTACTS.

Unfortunately, I am no longer engraving directly onto Moleskine notebooks because the cover material (PVC) is dangerous to engrave. Although the final product is safe, burning PVC with a laser off-gasses toxic gases such as chlorine and phosgene gas : (
I’ll be offering a far superior, reusable, safe and natural alternative in late September mid-November. I’d like to thank everyone for their support! Your patience will be rewarded. Feel free to enter your email address to receive updates.

AReeves

Re: Moleskine Engraving Settings

Post by AReeves »

I know this is a very old thread but according to Moleskine, their products do not contained PVC. I believe it was a change in early 2012 but I can't recall. FYI

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”