Power supply for Panel Current Meter
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Power supply for Panel Current Meter

by geenweb on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi,

For the Panel Current Meter - 0 to 9.99A PRODUCT ID: 574, will powering it with an inexpensive 9v wall DC switching adapter affect its accuracy? Switching adapters can be pretty noisy.

Thanks!

geenweb

Re: Power supply for Panel Current Meter

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am

That should work fine. Residual switching noise is typically at a fairly high frequency. These meters integrate readings over a few hundred milliseconds - effectively filtering out any high frequency noise.

adafruit_support_bill

by geenweb on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks!

geenweb

by geenweb on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi,
I bought the Panel Current Meter - 0 to 9.99A PRODUCT ID: 574 and the 9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter PRODUCT ID: 63. I'm using the panel current meter to display current out of a power supply. The power supply is one of those 0-30V 2mA - 3A Adjustable DC Regulated Power Supply Kits. The panel current meter is powered by the 9v power adapter. The thick black lead of the current panel meter is connected to the positive output of the power supply. The thick white lead from the panel meter is connected to the load. Other side of the load connected to the negative terminal of the power supply. I'm also using your 4.5v-30v voltage panel meter to measure the supply voltage (it matches the reading on my hand held meter exactly).

The current panel meter simply powers up and reads zero regardless of the voltage that is applied across the load (500 ohm resistor). If I insert my hand held meter in series with the load, I see the current changing with voltage.

Since the there is no connection between the power supply board or its supply transformer and the the switching adapter powering the panel current meter, it seems like this should work based on your product description.

Help appreciated.
Thanks,
Gene

geenweb

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:28 am

The thick black lead of the current panel meter is connected to the positive output of the power supply.

The black lead is the negative lead.

adafruit_support_bill

by geenweb on Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:28 pm

OK. I swapped the thick Black and White wires. Still zero. I tried switching to the low side of the output. I connected the thick black lead to the negative output terminal and the thick white lead to the load. other side of the load connected to the positive output of the power supply. 30.6v across a 500 ohm resister produced a reading of 0.03 on the current panel meter. Should be 61 mA.

Thanks,
Gene

geenweb

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:33 pm

OK. We can try replacing the meter. Please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.