Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

anemometer - how to provide sufficient voltage
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

anemometer - how to provide sufficient voltage

by Rcayot on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi,

I have a weather station I am working on. Right now, I have a BME280 working well. I have begun to work it into solar powered. I have a 6V panel, and a solar charger, and a 6600 mAh battery.

The anemometer that Adafruit sells requires a higher voltage than what can be provided either by the panel, or the charger.

What would be a useful way to power the anemometer? A buck/boost usually does no get to 7-9V I think are needed.

Any suggestions would be great. An analogue output would be more easily incorporated into the project, than another anemometer that needs to have a counter and a timer.

Roger

Rcayot

Re: anemometer - how to provide sufficient voltage

by blnkjns on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 am

Buck boost goes to 35V and higher, I use them to power VFD displays from 5V. Documentation says it needs 9V, but with crappy documentation (Bad Adafruit! This is not up to your standard!) and the need for this high voltage, I usually take the route of using the mechanical part, and make the interface myself. Does it allow to make an optical readout? That would make things a lot easier and more power efficient.
I don't get why this would need a high voltage. It is either free-running then you need a pulse count, or it is having a dynamo to create friction and you could measure the generated power, but that would mean it generates that power itself.....

blnkjns

Re: anemometer - how to provide sufficient voltage

by MarksBench on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 am

Hello,

Boost or boost/buck should do the trick. Maybe something like this? It's a 5V to 9V boost converter (they have a 12V version as well):

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2777

Depending on your solar and battery setup, the extra power it uses may be a drawback but it should get you the voltage you're looking for.

MarksBench

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.