Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Audio FX Sound Board (2217) is too quiet
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Audio FX Sound Board (2217) is too quiet

by bpollock on Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 am

Hi,

I'm using Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp (product id 2217) and I'm finding the max volume it can play at to be very quiet. I'm using two 2" 8ohm 5W speakers with it and I've made my sound file itself pretty loud. Is there any way to increase the max volume of the sound module/make it louder?

Also, not sure if this is related, but I've also found that when using the demo menu sketch (via Arduino Uno), I'm unable to set the volume. Sending in "+\n", it just says "Failed to adjust". It does work, but only once, after a board reset (and then it responds volume "204"). But once you begin playing any file, when you attempt to command it to adjust the volume, it just responds with "Failed to adjust" until I reset the board.

Power-wise, I'm supplying it via usb wall adapter (capable of a 2A).

bpollock

Re: Audio FX Sound Board (2217) is too quiet

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri May 14, 2021 1:16 am

The first thing you can do is drop to a lower speaker resistance.

Speakers convert a fraction of the power that flows through them into sound, and you can see the effect of changing the resistance by combining the power equation (P=IV) with Ohm's Law (V=IR). The results are P=(V/R)V=V^2/R and P=I(IR)=I^2R.

For any fixed supply voltage, reducing the speaker resistance by half will double the power through the speaker, and will also increase the amount of current that flows through the speaker.

For any fixed amount of speaker current, doubling the resistance will double the power, but will also increase the voltage necessary to push that much current through the speaker resistance.

Putting 5V across an 8-Ohm speaker will consume 625mA of current and use 3.125W of power. Dropping the speaker resistance to 4 Ohms will increase the current to 1.25A and bump the power up to 6.25W.

adafruit_support_mike

by bpollock on Sat May 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Ok thank you - I will give 4ohm speakers a try.

bpollock

by bpollock on Mon May 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi Mike,

I have the 4Ohm, 3W speakers now and I am not noticing any difference in volume. I must missing be missing something. I am using the menuscommand test code. The audio files have always been the same throughout my testing. I am also using the same power source. Can you offer any other thoughts about how to increase the volume? My serial monitor is telling me I have the board playing at 204, which the instructions suggest is the highest volume.

bpollock

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 pm

The next most likely issue woukd be supply power.

A 4|Ohm speaker running at 2.2W uses about 750mA. You mentioned using a 2A supply, but make sure you wiring can handle the current without too much loss. Some USB cables have enough wire resistance to cause voltage loss when the current gets higher than 100mA or so.

See if the voltage on the Vin pin drops when the speakers are active. That’s good evidence of supply loading and line loss.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.