0

Powerboost 500C charging but no power
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by My5t on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:21 am

Hi, I recently bought a Powerboost 500c. Over the past two days, the 500c was working as normal, charging fine, with the blue 'pwr' LED coming on when in use. When I tried to plug in the li-po battery this morning, the red and blue led flash on and off immediately. After this, the blue LED doesn't turn on at all, while the yellow 'chrg' LED lights fine. I tried with just the micro USB connected and supplying power, and the blue LED still didn't turn on.

Has the board shorted somewhere? I can't see any visible burn marks, nor are any of the components getting heated. Is it possible at this point to save this 500c, or do I just need to replace it?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20210624_101507.jpg
IMG_20210624_101507.jpg (625.14 KiB) Viewed 116 times

My5t
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by mikeysklar on Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:24 pm

This looks correct with the yellow LED and battery connected is charging. How long have you let it charge?

FDD671D9-EAB1-4D81-8E9C-071F711070D6.jpeg
FDD671D9-EAB1-4D81-8E9C-071F711070D6.jpeg (229.77 KiB) Viewed 89 times


Your are correct that normally the Blue led would come on when the micro USB is connected, but it most be a solid 5v source. Have you tried a few different USB sources to confirm?

mikeysklar
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by My5t on Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:42 am

mikeysklar wrote:This looks correct with the yellow LED and battery connected is charging. How long have you let it charge?

FDD671D9-EAB1-4D81-8E9C-071F711070D6.jpeg


Your are correct that normally the Blue led would come on when the micro USB is connected, but it most be a solid 5v source. Have you tried a few different USB sources to confirm?


Hi, thanks for your response.

I've let the battery charge overnight (10+ hours), and still, only the yellow LED was lit.

I've tried 2 different wires, and multiple different outlets and adapters, and yet again only the yellow LED is lit.

My5t
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by mikeysklar on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Is the battery fully charged after 10 hours? The voltage on the battery should be @ 4.2v when full. I'm only asking to confirm that the battery is being charged at all. This charger should be able to completely charge the 1200mAh pack you are using in a few hours. Have you tried other battery packs?

mikeysklar
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by My5t on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:52 pm

mikeysklar wrote:Is the battery fully charged after 10 hours? The voltage on the battery should be @ 4.2v when full. I'm only asking to confirm that the battery is being charged at all. This charger should be able to completely charge the 1200mAh pack you are using in a few hours. Have you tried other battery packs?


Yes, I did check with a multimeter and the battery was at around 4.2v. I have not checked with other battery packs, since I don't have any.

My5t
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by mikeysklar on Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:05 pm

It sounds like we will be replacing this unit for you.

One question about the PowerBoost Blue LED. If you check with a multimeter (while unplugged) on the 1k resistor next to it does it read 1k? I'm curious if the resistor might have burned up which seems unlikely, but easy enough to check.

6FD4917D-F506-4D1A-B572-32A557582960.png
6FD4917D-F506-4D1A-B572-32A557582960.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 48 times


9C555ABD-2245-4B64-8D4C-27833C9F149E.png
9C555ABD-2245-4B64-8D4C-27833C9F149E.png (100.16 KiB) Viewed 48 times

mikeysklar
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by My5t on Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:29 pm

mikeysklar wrote:It sounds like we will be replacing this unit for you.

One question about the PowerBoost Blue LED. If you check with a multimeter (while unplugged) on the 1k resistor next to it does it read 1k? I'm curious if the resistor might have burned up which seems unlikely, but easy enough to check.

6FD4917D-F506-4D1A-B572-32A557582960.png


9C555ABD-2245-4B64-8D4C-27833C9F149E.png



Yes, I can confirm that when I check the resistor with the multimeter, it does read 1k. Are there any more steps that I need to take?

My5t
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Powerboost 500C charging but no power

by mikeysklar on Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:52 pm

@My5t,

Thank you for taking the time to check the resistor.

Let's try another unit. If this one fails you will need to find another solution as there is most likely an issue with your application. Please let us know what you experience here.

Go ahead and send an e-mail to support@adafruit.com requesting a replacement. Include your original invoice# and a link to this forum thread to show that we discussed it.

mikeysklar
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.