Cutting 5V line on ribbon cable

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rquint

Cutting 5V line on ribbon cable

Post by rquint »

My soldering days are over (hands shake too much these days) so Adafruit's ribbon cable and snap on connectors to make usb cables sound a treat. However, I want to make a cable with the 5V (red coloured in a normal USB2 cable) line cut, that is I only want the data lines and ground to have continuity. Is it possible to do that easily with the Adafruit ribbon cable?

Franklin97355

Re: Cutting 5V line on ribbon cable

Post by Franklin97355 »

Which ribbon cable, (there are several)? these are somewhat fiddley so I don't know how you will succeed but at least you won't burn yourself.

rquint

Re: Cutting 5V line on ribbon cable

Post by rquint »

I was considering something like PRODUCT ID: 3563, but from the images online I can't make out whether you can see where the individual lines are. I thought slicing with an exacto knife parallel to the edge on either side of the line and then just bending the cable one way and the line i want to cut the other I could cut out a short length of the 5V line and then just stick a piece of electrical tape over it. Looks aren't too important, but I'd like it to be neat. I've cut and reattached a round cable but I had to use so much tape it looks like a horrible case of meatball surgery.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”