FadeCandy Wont light my leds
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FadeCandy Wont light my leds

by Sperrow on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 pm

I have built and am using two different arrays of LED's for testing one WS2812B and one WS2811 and all strands have been tested extensively. I have set up my the fade candy on my Raspberry Pi 4 and have the server up and running. It recognizes my fade candy and the built in status LED blinks. However, I can not get it to turn on the leds. I have triple check all my soldering and wiring, I have full continuity. I cant get any example code to see them either.

Sperrow

Re: FadeCandy Wont light my leds

by mikeysklar on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Can you post some photos of your wiring to the Pi <--> FadeCandy and an example chunk of code you are trying?

mikeysklar

by Sperrow on Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:52 pm

At this point I'm just trying to get the server to turn them on and off.
I have been trying the 1500 led light curtain tutorial.
https://learn.adafruit.com/1500-neopixe ... y/overview
FC2.jpg
FC2.jpg (158.65 KiB) Viewed 77 times

LED Wiring.jpg
LED Wiring.jpg (289.9 KiB) Viewed 77 times

FC Server.PNG
FC Server.PNG (114.77 KiB) Viewed 77 times

Sperrow

by mikeysklar on Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks for the photos.

Do you have some shots from the Pi too?

Does it make sense to scale back some of your connections to a single strip for troubleshooting purposes? You have a lot of connections so that is the most suspect area ATM.

mikeysklar

by Sperrow on Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:54 pm

I did buy a new FC thinking I may have fried something during soldering and have been trying to troubleshoot with they same results. However, for a brief moment before I turned on the power supply there was a small amount of power leaking through the FC from the USB connection. Very dim green light was visible on the whole strip. That situation was responding to the "Test Pattern" Button. As soon As I turned on the supply though, nothing. If I take the ground off the FC it just lights up full white. Then if I reattach the FC ground it stays lit. No response from the Server either way.
Pi.jpg
Pi.jpg (249.11 KiB) Viewed 73 times

FC Setup Test.jpg
FC Setup Test.jpg (257.96 KiB) Viewed 73 times

Sperrow

by mikeysklar on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks for the additional info and second FC setup.

There is a little section in the Dry Run part of the guide "Nothing lights up!":

Nothing lights up!
Did you insert the correct hostname or address in the WebSocket() call?
Confirm the Raspberry Pi has booted and is connected to the local network. Following steps on prior pages, you should be able to log in remotely via ssh.
Confirm the fcserver program is running. Log into the Raspberry Pi and check the contents of /var/log/fcserver.log. If this file doesn’t exist, perhaps you forgot to edit /etc/rc.local to launch fcserver, or made a typo?
Check fcserver.log to confirm that all the Fadecandy boards are connected. Check the serial numbers against the values in fcserver.json.
Using a multimeter, check that the power supply is outputting 5V DC. Or if the power supply has a fan, confirm it’s spinning. If not, probably a blown fuse in the supply due to an electrical short in your wiring.

mikeysklar

by Sperrow on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:38 pm

I did all that before I got on the forum. When I Click on the servers identify Button the fade candy blinks which indicates that the server is set up correctly. I did Switch the Serial Number when I switched FC's. I'm getting 5V from my supply.

Sperrow

by mikeysklar on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:40 pm

I recommend disconnecting all the NeoPixels except those connected to the FC '0' column and attempt to get a single set going. Ideally connecting directly to the power supply and not going through the shared terminal blocks you have setup. A minimal setup would make troubleshooting a lot easier.

mikeysklar

by Sperrow on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Ok, I have simplified everything. I still can't get it to work. I even went back through the whole trouble shooting list again and reset up the server just in case. I can only think of one other thing to do and that is try to run this off my windows PC and use the .exe setups like in Amy's dome tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7-8mz0 ... yGoodchild

Unless, I'm really unlucky and have 2 defective FC's in row.

Simple FC setup.jpg
Simple FC setup.jpg (219.24 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Sperrow

by mikeysklar on Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:03 pm

@Sperrow,

Thanks for simplifying your setup.

I think trying yoru WinPC with the EXEs and dome tutorial would be a good data point.

Also driving a single LED strip with the power supply and a different microcontroller would even be helpful just to show that the connections are correct to the strip, capacitor orientation and power supply are good.

Baby steps.

mikeysklar

by Sperrow on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:50 pm

I have tested the 5v power and that seems to be working. If I disconnect the ground from the FC the whole strip lights up. I even tested the strip with no FC attached at all. The lights don't flicker when the data cable is attached to the FC. They Do flicker a bit when not attached.
I followed Amy's process on my WinPC and server setup was super smooth. Only the first light responds to the server command and full bright is very dim. I tried all of this on multiple strips to isolate that variable.
The server does see the FC when I use the identify button.
I'm at a loss.
Good 5v Power.jpg
Good 5v Power.jpg (259.25 KiB) Viewed 46 times

Led Lit with Power only.jpg
Led Lit with Power only.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 46 times

Win PC FC server full bright.jpg
Win PC FC server full bright.jpg (112.65 KiB) Viewed 46 times

Sperrow

by mikeysklar on Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:19 pm

The ground disconnect on the FC leading to the entire strip lighting up seems strange to me, but probably not worth chasing after yet.

The FadeCandy and NeoPixel strip connection points seems good.

Do you recall which specific model of NeoPixel strip you ordered (product#)? I'd like to confirm that against your order and static bags if you still have them to make sure it is getting set correctly on the FadeCandy software side. The only times I've seen just the first LED light up was when models of NeoPixels were not correctly being initialized on the software side.

mikeysklar

by Sperrow on Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:32 pm

I am not using Neo's.
Both light strips Im using are Alitove.

The grid are the 5v WS2812B
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FV ... UTF8&psc=1

And the lose ones are 12v WS2811 which are doing the same thing. I am able to control the first LED.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AG ... UTF8&psc=1

Do i need to be using Neopixels?
Alitove WS2811 RGB.jpg
Alitove WS2811 RGB.jpg (267.92 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Sperrow

by mikeysklar on Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:21 pm

The LED curtain guide is based on our WS2812 NeoPixels. I don't know some of the details regarding the different generations of WS2812B iterations, but using slightly different strips can be an issue with RGB vs GRB and frequency used (400Hz, 800Hz and 2000 Hz).

I think you have two things you can try:

1) Use a single single strand LED with our Adafruit CircuitPython library and try to get it going on the Raspberry Pi directly (not using FadeCandy) to determine which model of strands you are using. This would require modifying the initialization code for various NeoPixel types to determine what you have.

https://learn.adafruit.com/neopixels-on ... thon-usage

2) Buy some NeoPixels from linked to from the guide pages.

https://learn.adafruit.com/1500-neopixe ... y/overview

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.