FX Audio Board - Volume using pins
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FX Audio Board - Volume using pins

by jparisse on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:55 pm

I am getting ready to use a FX Audio board (16Mb, headphone jack) on a Halloween project. With a Teensy 3.2, I am triggering 8 files using DO because Serial is used by another board. I’d like to program fade ins and outs but can’t find volume control logic specs except that grounding + will make the volume go up and grounding - will make the volume go down.

I reason that If I can find out how the volume control logic works, I can program a reliable fade in/out and perhaps make up volume differences in tracks. BTW, I love this board… even though I’m triggering it with a microcontroller, I can think of a million uses for this board without one.

Thanks in advance! This is gonna be an Adafruit Halloween!

Jeff

jparisse

Re: FX Audio Board - Volume using pins

by dastels on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:10 pm

All I can find in the datasheet (https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/vs1000.pdf)is on page 22:
Volume Buttons
Volume can be turned up or down with 0.5 dB steps using the volume buttons. A short press
changes the volume by 0.5 dB, a long press will change the volume by approximately 8 dB every
second.

Dave

dastels

Re: FX Audio Board - Volume using pins

by jparisse on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 am

Thanks Dave!

hmmmm…. long press… 8db per second maybe too fast for the fade I’m thinking of… I guess I can record some reference tones and measure volume change against various button press lengths…

It will be about a day before I can power up again (mounting components) so perhaps the answer will turn up. Otherwise; SCIENCE!

Thanks again.

Jeff

jparisse

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.