LiPO Expected Lifetime or cycles

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drewc228

LiPO Expected Lifetime or cycles

Post by drewc228 »

Hello. I have purchased a few dozen large (2500mAH) LiPO batteries and have found a high rate of failure after just a few cycles. I am using only the recommended charger boards (I use both USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 and the Micro-Lipo boards) set at minimum charge current. After about 10-15 cycles the batteries will not charge beyond 3.2-3.3V (effectively dead). I am careful not to discharge them below this via my own low-voltage cutoff. I am seeing this increasingly happening with the newer batteries I have ordered. Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong, or suggestions about how to avoid this happening? Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: LiPO Expected Lifetime or cycles

Post by mikeysklar »

Had you purchased these LiPo packs through Adafruit?

What temperature are the LiPo's being stored at and used at?

How big a load (current / amps) have you been putting on the packs when they are in use?

drewc228

Post by drewc228 »

Hi, and thanks for the response. These are purchased new from AdaFruit, model Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 2500mAh. They are stored indoors at around 75 deg F. They are used in devices that typically draw around 150-180 mA. Some are still going strong but many will not accept a charge and remain at 3.2V.

Andrew

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you are probably timing out, set the charge rate to 500mA

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”