Where is assembly document for V6 of #462 Standalone AVR ISP

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
southerner

Where is assembly document for V6 of #462 Standalone AVR ISP

Post by southerner »

I am trying to find the assembly document for version 6 (the current version) of the Standalone ISP Programmer #462? When I take the link from the sales page it sends me to: https://learn.adafruit.com/standalone-a ... programmer
but that is for V5 and does not seem to be complete in that I see at least 2 wires in the pictures that it does not say to add anywhere in the document and the version being sold is V6 not V5.

I had thought that this is the same as the AVRISP's being sold on ebay but there are some differences. For that reason I am not sure how to use it as a AVR ISP programmer (not standalone). Can it be used that way? I tried to use it with the Arduino IDE v 1.8.15 but with a good blank ATMega328P in the Zif socket it does not even recognize the chip let alone program it. Will it only do programming as a standalone device?

Also it talks about programming the bootloader using only Adaboot and not Optiboot (which I think is the standard included in the IDE?). Do you know of a hex file combiner that will combine the Adaboot with a compiled hex file to make a bootloader plus compiled INO so it can be used as a one step programmer if the standalone AVR ISP Programmer has to be used with Adaboot and not Optiboot which would prevent using the IDE to create a hex file of the INO that includes the bootloader? I trired SRec_CAT.exe for Windows but it never creates the output file.

Thank you for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Where is assembly document for V6 of #462 Standalone AVR

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is linked from the product description page: https://learn.adafruit.com/arduino-tips ... arduinoisp

southerner

Post by southerner »

Look again! That assembly document is for the version 5 (V5) not the version 6 (V6) that you are currently selling. Yes it is mostly the same but not completely and there are some instructions missing (at least a couple wires I see on the V6 board are not mentioned in the document).

Thank you.

westfw

Post by westfw »

The kit is based on a "protoboard" PCB, so it's not really "different" between v5 and v6. It looks like the main difference is that the v6 board has the "Uno V3" extra pins for I2C, which required moving the LED. You pretty much wire it up the same, but the LEDs and their resistors are in slightly different places.
I had thought that this is the same as the AVRISP's being sold on ebay but there are some differences. For that reason I am not sure how to use it as a AVR ISP programmer (not standalone).
It needs to be used WITH an Arduino Uno or equivalent, and the "Arduino as ISP" example sketch. (or standalone using optiloader or the Adafruit or Gammon equivalents.) And the socket is wired up for the 28pin DIP AVRs. So while it's similar in purpose to the AVRISPs, the details are substantially different.
I see at least 2 wires in the pictures that it does not say to add anywhere in the document
Can you be more specific? It looks to me like all of the wires are accounted for. 9 wires for the ZIF, 2 for the LEDs, 1 for the piezo.

A lot of people have trouble using the "Arduino as ISP" sketch, and I'm not sure that the programmer protoboard here helps with all of the "typical" problems. You'll have to tell us exactly what you're doing and how it fails to get additional help.

(This is a substantially OLD product, dating back to ... when the Uno first came out. Some of the details in the tutorial might be a bit out of date. Some of the non-Adafruit tutorials were never right.)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For AVR programming, the only difference is that LED1 has been moved further out to the corner of the proto-shield to make room for the SDA and SCL pins on the extended R3 Arduino headers. So the white wire from D8 to LED1 needs to be slightly longer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”