Ultimate GPS - Not outputting data
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ultimate GPS - Not outputting data

by AlanStansbery on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi. The Ultimate GPS is sending proper NMEA sentences per MiniGPS v1.7.1. However, it is not outputting date, time, lat, long, speed or track data (again, as evidenced in MiniGPS). At least the date and time data, and the lat and long, appear in the NMEA sentences and are of proper format. However, MiniGPS does not display the corresponding values on its Status page.

I have had three of these units. One purchased 6 months ago (which does not have this problem), and two purchased more recently. Both the recent purchases, one from Digi-Key, and the latest from Mouser, have the same stated issue.

The unit in question (the one from Mouser) is connected to an active (Adafruit) antenna. I do not have the battery installed. (I had it installed on the Digi-Key purchase, and it made no difference).

In addition to MiniGPS, I have a home-grown program which displays lat, long, date, time, etc., extracted from the NMEA output sentences. The same story with this program, i.e., the 'old' Ultimate GPS is fine. The two later ones don't present data.

Anyone having a similar problem with Ultimate GPS' purchased recently? Anyone have any insight to what I might have missed?

Thanks,
Alan

AlanStansbery

Re: Ultimate GPS - Not outputting data

by AlanStansbery on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:51 pm

The Fix type is "3D SPS".

AlanStansbery

by AlanStansbery on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:05 pm

...make that 3 out of 4 with the same issue. (Just received another through Amazon). In addition to the stated issues, none of the 3 recognize the command to enable WAAS (DGPS). Also, none of the 3 GPS in question have the same firmware rev as the one that works correctly. Could be a clue in that, huh? LOL.

AlanStansbery

by AlanStansbery on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:32 pm

The threee problematic units appear to have the MediaTek MT3333 chip (based on the firmware ID), versus the 'good' unit which has an MT3339.

The Fix type for the 'good' unit is "3D DGPS".

I suspect there's a setting that's not correct, i.e., I need to send an additional command to the unit. I just don't have the time right now to investigate, trouble-shoot something like this.

I think I've spent about enough time/$ on this item.

Alan

AlanStansbery

by adafruit2 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:01 pm

hi please take a photo of the products, that will greatly help determine which ones you have as there are multiple GPS modules and versions stocked!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.