Gemma Trigger Led In side Drums - Sensitivity problem

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Tzabi

Gemma Trigger Led In side Drums - Sensitivity problem

Post by Tzabi »

Hi guys!
I need help, I’v done the project of using Gemma to trigger a blink in a Neopixels inside of a drum, and it went well, but, the drums trigger each other.
I’v tried to change the “NOISE” at the top of the code, but at some rate (after 440), not all of the led is triggered.
It doesn't matter how loud signal I'v put against the mic, after 440 NOISE less LED are triggered.
I only tried to change also number of pixels, didn’t help.
Running through Adafruit forum and searching for answers It seems like there is none, everyone writes to increase the NOISE, which didn't really work out.
I'v yet to try to cover the mic, but I really don't it will help much, since even at the highest NOISE setting the other drums light up really easily.
I would want to disconnect the mic and connect a piezo instead, but I am less than a newbie with codes, so I have no idea how to make a code for a piezo.
I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if there is a solution for this inside the code, or if anyone could give me a code of triggering LED with a piezo through Gemma.

The code:
https://learn.adafruit.com/gemma-powere ... it-diagram

dastels

Re: Gemma Trigger Led In side Drums - Sensitivity problem

Post by dastels »

I'm not really sure how/if you could localize a mic to just be triggered by the drum it's in. An alternative would be to try using a vibration sensor (an accelerometer would do the job, some even have vibration/tap detection builtin). you would have to secure it to the inside of the drum and tune it so that vibration from the other drums don't trigger it. I suspect you'll have a better chance of success with that approach.

Dave

Tzabi

Post by Tzabi »

dastels wrote:I'm not really sure how/if you could localize a mic to just be triggered by the drum it's in. An alternative would be to try using a vibration sensor (an accelerometer would do the job, some even have vibration/tap detection builtin). you would have to secure it to the inside of the drum and tune it so that vibration from the other drums don't trigger it. I suspect you'll have a better chance of success with that approach.

Dave
I guess you're right, but I have not a single clue how to write a code to this.
Do you know if there is a code to this anywhere on Adafruit guides? I didn't find one.
If not, do you know where to guide me to find someone who will write a code for me? (of course for payment....)

dastels

Post by dastels »

An accelerometer might be overkill to be honest. Something like this might be a starting point https://learn.adafruit.com/midi-drum-glove. This as well https://learn.adafruit.com/motion-alarm. These are low-tech, low cost, easy to code for approaches, but they might work great for this use. I'd personally try the vibration sensor first. There are 3 different vibration switches, each needing a different strength of vibration to trigger. It might be worth getting a selection and trying them out. Different ones might work better with different drums.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”