Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Bone Conductor Transducer Mounting Solution
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bone Conductor Transducer Mounting Solution

by yellowbus on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:29 am

I mounted the bone conductor to my 3D-printed enclosure using the single screw in the back of the unit. I noticed the bone conductor is generating sound without pressing against anything. It worked fine by itself before I mounted it. Seems like mounting it by the single screw on the back causes the vibration to transfer to the mounting surface of my enclosure.

Can someone suggest a better mounting solution? Should I try reducing the mounting surface of my enclosure? Is mounting by the single screw in the back recommended at all? If not, what's the best mounting solution? Thanks!

PXL_20220112_065705311.MP.jpg
PXL_20220112_065705311.MP.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 49 times

yellowbus

Re: Bone Conductor Transducer Mounting Solution

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 am

Any vibrating surface will produce sound. The volume of sound produced depends on a number of factors including the size, stiffness and mass of the surface.

The bare transducer by itself does produce sound. But because it is small and very rigid, the sound waves coming off the back of the unit will almost completely cancel out the waves coming from the front.

Mounting it to a flat panel or the side of an enclosure increases the sound transmission distance between the front and the back, so less cancellation happens and more sound results.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.