Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Raspberry Pi 4B - Defective?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi 4B - Defective?

by rsmith985 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:58 am

This is my first RPI, and I understand that it is very unlikely that the RPI is defective, however I have been trying all morning to get my new device to work, but based on everything I can find online it seems like it is dead?

I only get the Red power light to stay on, the Green ACT light never comes on.

I have followed all of the information on this forum post.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopi ... 28&t=58151

According to the post, I unplugged everything (including SD card) and powered it on. I don't get 4 green blinks like it says I should. I attempted to re-install the bootloader as the forum states using Raspberry Pi Imager, still nothing when restarting with the SD card with the new bootloader image.

I purchased a power adapter that is specifically for this RPI, and I immediately put the RPI into a case intended for it upon unboxing, so I don't think I could of done anything to kill it.

rsmith985

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B - Defective?

by franklin97355 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:39 pm

Can you post pictures of the pi including the back? do you have the bag and can you post pictures so we can track the item? I'm sorry, I don't have access to that info but what memory capacity did you get?

franklin97355

by rsmith985 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:47 pm

It was the 2 GB version, purchased 1/13.

Here is a link to pictures of the front, back, box it came in and invoice #. Let me know if there are any issues viewing the images or need other info.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TDRwy6mwSiwe7NQr9

Thanks

rsmith985

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:05 pm

Thanks for the board photos.

When were the heat sinks added?

We should also double check the power supply being used. There a few model Pi 4's that have a known issue with some power supplies. Can you link to the product page for the specific power supply you are using.

adafruit_support_carter

by rsmith985 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:01 pm

The heat sinks were added while the OS was being installed to the SD card.

Here is the power supply I am using -
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Supply ... B097P2NLVH

Basically installed OctoPi using the Raspberry Pi Imager. While I waited, I ran cables for power, 3d printer and webcam, and added the heat sinks because I heard the Pi 4 could run hot. When OS was done being installed I plugged everything in and powered on. Tried to connect via web interface. When I couldn't connect, I assumed it was a wifi issue. Tried power cycling and re-installing OS. Eventually paid attention to LEDs and saw there was never a green light. Went through steps for that that found online. Tried another SD card and installing the bootloader using Raspberry Pi Imager. When that didn't work, saw the steps for powering on with no SD where the green light should flash. That never happened which meant the pi was dead.

I have also only used SanDisk SD cards that as far as I'm aware are authentic.

rsmith985

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:46 pm

Thanks for the link. That power supply is probably OK? Not sure, but it's the fancier ones that tend to be more of an issue. It's your only power supply?

When OS was done being installed I plugged everything in and powered on.

What all cables were plugged in here from the ocotprint setup? Anything to the Pi's GPIO header pins?

adafruit_support_carter

by rsmith985 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:29 pm

I do not have any other power supplies intended for a raspberry pi. If I looked I could potentially find a phone charger that is compatible.

Nothing is hooked up to the pins. I plugged in USB cable to 3D printer, and another USB cable to webcam.

rsmith985

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:09 pm

Lets' replace it. Before adding heat sinks or doing anything else related to octoprint with the Pi, make sure it boots using the standard Rapsberry Pi OS:
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

Send another email to support and link them back to this thread again. They can send you a replacement Pi 4.

adafruit_support_carter

by rsmith985 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:07 pm

OK Thanks. I will do that next time.

rsmith985

by adafruit2 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:23 pm

rsmith, what instructions are you following for octoprint installation?

adafruit2
Site Admin

by rsmith985 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:57 pm

I was following these instructions that uses the Raspberry Pi Imager for installing Octopi
https://toms3d.org/2021/07/05/octoprint ... t-plugins/

rsmith985

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.